A new pseudo-British loco from Kato

Started by railsquid, December 26, 2020, 11:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

See this PDF - seems Kato are planning to release their generic "steeple cab" electric loco (see here for picture) in a pseudo-British livery (BR black with early crest logo). Release in June 2021. Not going to please the rivet counters, but another step towards UK products...

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

zwilnik

Sod the rivet counters, that's a great idea. Their Pocket Line models means a decent quality entry level (ie cheap) train set to get new modellers hooked :)

Bealman

I'm not a rivet counter, but it just looks a little too basic to me. Still, Triang and later, Hornby, have had success with the concept.

The chassis could certainly be useful.  :thumbsup:

red_death

A bit disappointing that they don't use one of their shortie bogie designs.

njee20

I note it's a Gaugemaster product code, so they're presumably involved, aside from just being distributor.

The photo of the real loco seems to bear very little resemblance to what they're actually offering.

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on December 26, 2020, 11:47:12 PM

Though it's been available for donkey's years already for anyone who wanted one...

Bealman

Bad Raven

Quote from: railsquid on December 27, 2020, 03:30:55 AM

Though it's been available for donkey's years already for anyone who wanted one...

"It" (the chassis) has been available in several types, with differingly moulded side frames and in at least one case end platforms. Bought my first roughly a decade plus ago. Bought the last ones a year back. Have more than five in service and a spare in pack just in case.  11-109 is just one variant.

An excellent out the pack runner, it was the first chassis type that I bought to start my Tramway. In most cases I had to remove chassis detail both sides down to the top of the axlebox slides so they fitted a UK width tram body, which could be made a decent push fit while testing concept.

They are the easiest thing ever to convert to DCC, as broad copper strips forming the pickups run across the motor top, where they touch equally broad copper strips coming up at 90 degrees from the motor. Insert an insulating strip and connect the four wires.

When I first bought they were around £11 each from PlazaJapan, I think I got one new for £9, though the price in the last year or so has jumped dramatically, nearer to £30 in some places.

With a Stay Alive and a couple of 470uF Tantalums they crawl very convincingly and totally reliably over Tomix tightest radius turnouts and tram track.
Dave

Train Waiting

I'm not a rivet counter, but it just looks a little too basic to me. Still, Triang and later, Hornby, have had success with the concept.

Exactly my thoughts on seeing it!

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/steepleCabBoxedA.jpg

It certainly looks like Kato is serious about the UK market.  Its collaboration with Peco to produce 009 models is encouraging as, I think, is this.  From my experience, Kato locomotives are truly excellent.  I'm hoping for positive developments.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bob G

Well, we had the LNER ES1 Bo-Bo steeple cab, and there were three dinky steeple cab Bo designs that ran around Southampton's power station for a while. They had tram-type single pole pickups. So plenty of scope for adulteration.

Bob

Bealman

Yes indeed.

I only have one Kato locomotive which I bought in Tokyo, and I wish I'd bought five of em!

I'm an ex-009 modeller, and I love them entering that market!

It all bodes well.  :thumbsup:

Bealman

Quote from: Train Waiting on December 27, 2020, 08:47:20 AM

Exactly my thoughts on seeing it!

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/steepleCabBoxedA.jpg

It certainly looks like Kato is serious about the UK market.  Its collaboration with Peco to produce 009 models is encouraging as, I think, is this.  From my experience, Kato locomotives are truly excellent.  I'm hoping for positive developments.

Best wishes.

John

See my post above. (On phone, and difficult to manipulate the forum!)

njee20

I'm not sure that releasing a fictitious prototype shows confidence in the UK market, and I think we ought to be careful about celebrating it too much.

What Triang and Hornby did 60 years ago shouldn't be a benchmark we strive for!

I presume this is part of a a larger production run, as surely they're not going to churn out x thousand of this specific variant.

Bob G

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations