British N gauge Mechanical Quality

Started by David Bale, November 16, 2020, 03:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac

Quote from: David Bale on November 16, 2020, 04:00:23 PM
That's interesting to know, have you owned any Kato or Fleishman as a comparison? Do you know if the dapol 121 is a recent motor design?
[/quote
That's interesting to know, have you owned any Kato or Fleishman as a comparison? Do you know if the dapol 121 is a recent motor design?

I modelled british n gauge in the 70's..till i discovered fleischmann...which were of course in a different league back then. But i think farish have finally caught up..albeit 40 years later. I also think on board sound in n gauge is an unnecessary gimmick.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

grumbeast

I own Kato / Atlas / Lifelike and Bachman and Farish and Dapol, So I think that I have some idea about comparing things. I feel the original post is a tad too broad as I think it should be looked at loco by loco. 

For the most part however, I find more recent Farish and Dapol run *almost* or as good as Kato.  Dapol does tend to be a fair bit noisier, but for example I have a fairly new Farish Deltic that runs almost silently and smoothly and as well as any of my Katos.  As an examples of the opposite, I have the much lauded Kato Mike that has never run well. 

I have over 100 locos or trainsets from North America, UK, Europe and Japan and I think in general (there are exceptions from all these areas) all of stuff made in the last ten years is great regardless of manufacturer.

The one criticism I perceive of the UK outline stuff that is valid is I think sometimes there are quality control issues and we sometimes get bad batches.

The one bit of advice I have is that UK locos (Dapol especially)  do seem to benefit from running whereas my Kato's don't seem to need any.

Hope that helps

G.

ntpntpntp

I moved away from British N to Continental in the 80s as I wasn't happy with the general running qualities and level of detail.  I certainly don't regret it.

I will admit I've picked up a few British bits and pieces in recent years as things have noticeably improved. Not up to Fleischman and Minitrix levels of quality, but at least generally acceptable now and similar mechanism designs to many of what I think of as "second tier"  Far East made Continental models.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

David Bale

Quote from: grumbeast on November 16, 2020, 05:22:21 PM
I own Kato / Atlas / Lifelike and Bachman and Farish and Dapol, So I think that I have some idea about comparing things. I feel the original post is a tad too broad as I think it should be looked at loco by loco. 

For the most part however, I find more recent Farish and Dapol run *almost* or as good as Kato.  Dapol does tend to be a fair bit noisier, but for example I have a fairly new Farish Deltic that runs almost silently and smoothly and as well as any of my Katos.  As an examples of the opposite, I have the much lauded Kato Mike that has never run well. 

I have over 100 locos or trainsets from North America, UK, Europe and Japan and I think in general (there are exceptions from all these areas) all of stuff made in the last ten years is great regardless of manufacturer.

The one criticism I perceive of the UK outline stuff that is valid is I think sometimes there are quality control issues and we sometimes get bad batches.

The one bit of advice I have is that UK locos (Dapol especially)  do seem to benefit from running whereas my Kato's don't seem to need any.

Hope that helps

G.
I'll have to find a decent electric loco before I give up! Thanks.

David Bale

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 16, 2020, 05:28:13 PM
I moved away from British N to Continental in the 80s as I wasn't happy with the general running qualities and level of detail.  I certainly don't regret it.

I will admit I've picked up a few British bits and pieces in recent years as things have noticeably improved. Not up to Fleischman and Minitrix levels of quality, but at least generally acceptable now and similar mechanism designs to many of what I think of as "second tier"  Far East made Continental models.
In about 1990 I went from a farish class 47 to a fleischmann electric loco! Chalk and cheese

ntpntpntp

Quote from: David Bale on November 16, 2020, 06:14:23 PM
In about 1990 I went from a farish class 47 to a fleischmann electric loco! Chalk and cheese

Yep, and my first ever 1970s made Fleischmann electric loco is still as smooth as silk and does its part at exhibitions alongside other ancient European models and of course plenty of current models.

Not so long ago I bought a mint example of the original Farish 47 (brass gears and lights).   It's a little noisy but runs ok.  I've found myself re-acquiring some of the  things I used to own such as the 47, old Minitrix Warship, and Peco Jubilee for my "historic N" collection  :D  I've no interest in the old Farish steam locos though  :no:
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

Just to put my 2 pennorth in, I have locomotives from Kato, Atlas, Arnold, Bachmann, Graham Farish and Dapol, some were first produced 40 years ago.  In general, that is the order I would put them in when it comes to reliability and running. However, the Farish and Dapol later models definitely seem to be better than the ones from a few years ago and the level of detail could be described as being better than the other makes.  A bit like owt else, you pays your money ...........  (but I still would prefer a Kato or Atlas). :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

osborns

David said
unless he waits for next year when Kato are due to release the 800 class hybrid. That way he can have the best of 3 worlds Kato and diesel / electric.

David Bale

Quote from: osborns on November 16, 2020, 08:52:22 PM
David said
unless he waits for next year when Kato are due to release the 800 class hybrid. That way he can have the best of 3 worlds Kato and diesel / electric.
Looks good!

jpendle

Or visit Revolution trains and put in an order for a Pendolino.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

David Bale

Good price £335 for 9 cars but Pendolino not for me ta.

David Bale

The Dapol class 121 I recently bought with decoder fitted that I think is noisy, can anyone suggest how I test in DC as there was no dc blanking plate supplied?

longbow

QuoteThe Dapol class 121 I recently bought with decoder fitted that I think is noisy, can anyone suggest how I test in DC as there was no dc blanking plate supplied?

You could probably connect the relevant sockets with eg bent staples. But easier to buy some spare blanking plates for future use. It's unlikely that the decoder is the source of the noise.

David Bale

I will leave it DCC, I am surprised there doesn't seem to be cv's to adjust for different types of motor? I seem to remember Lenz having this? I would have tried it out plus I am surprised it can go very fast! Unless my emu controller is set to oo ? Is the speed table table not set for each model? Obviously not because the decoder reset is standard!

longbow

I suggest you check the CV settings. Factory-fitted Dapol Imperium decoders use some custom values, so if the decoder has been reset the settings may not be optimal.

Imperium decoder instructions are here - https://www.dapol.co.uk/technical/DCC-Instructions/Imperium_Instructions1.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations