Suburban Stock

Started by BrakeCoach, February 12, 2017, 08:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrakeCoach

Hello,
I am wanting to get some suburban locomotives and rolling stock. Is there an n gauge N2, and some thompson coaches? BTW is there any ex sr push pull coaches available in n scale?
If you know any, just let me know.
Thanks,

austinbob

No N2 I'm afraid. Would like one of those very much.
Not sure about Thompson suburban coaches - someone(s) here will definitely give you an answer on that.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on February 12, 2017, 08:40:08 AM
No N2 I'm afraid. Would like one of those very much.
Not sure about Thompson suburban coaches - someone(s) here will definitely give you an answer on that.
I've had a quick look on Hattons website. There are new Thompson (not suburban) coaches on preorder at - wait for it - estimated price £38!!
There seem to be some second hand Thompson suburbans around on ebay.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dodger

Quote from: funnysunny365 on February 12, 2017, 08:32:46 AM
Hello,
I am wanting to get some suburban locomotives and rolling stock. Is there an n gauge N2, and some thompson coaches? BTW is there any ex sr push pull coaches available in n scale?
If you know any, just let me know.
Thanks,
Atso-cad Models make an N2 body that fits on a modified Bachmann 3MT 2-6-2T chassis and Etched Pixels produce Kits for Thompson coaches.

Dodger

Newportnobby

Depends how long you want to wait for an N2 as there may be a crowdfunded one in the offing........
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35574.0

BrakeCoach

Then is there any Gresley non vestibuled suburban teak coaches?

dodger

Quote from: funnysunny365 on February 12, 2017, 10:32:17 AM
Then is there any Gresley non vestibuled suburban teak coaches?
Not as far as I am aware. The only ready suburban stock to run behind a N2 would be Farish Suburbans. I've  just remember Langley do a white metal N2 body kit that fits a Poole Farish 61XX chassis.

Dodger

Cutter

The crowd funded N2 project is also considering a set of quads...

Dorsetmike

For SR push pull I hack Farish suburbans brakes, cut each side at the red arrows and swap to opposite side, this gives you the door into the drivers compartment, cut windows in the end (seating left in as additional support)

If ypou want 50 footers cut off one compartment and shorten the roof at each end aqnd take some out of chassis middle

Add westinghouse pump alongside smokebox and reservoir tanks and you get this, not rivet counter perfect but looks the part.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Stevie DC

Hi funnysunny365,

If you're interested here are some pictures of the prototype 3D print of my N2.

Etched Pixels/Ultima Models do some kits for Gresley and Thompson suburban stock:
http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/lner-nv.html
http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/lner-thompson-nc.html

I've not bought any of these (yet) so cannot comment on how well they go together. I recall that R Marshall built a Thomson suburban a little while back so maybe he can comment.

Alan of Etched Pixels is also a member here and I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions about his kits.

Edit: Worsley Works also offers some etched scratchaid bits for Gresley suburban stock (and I think he might have some Thompson if you ask nicely). However, IIRC these are just the underframe, sides and ends leaving the building to have to source the roof and bogies themselves. http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/N/n_gauge_lner_coaches.htm

Karhedron

Quote from: Atso on February 13, 2017, 10:44:00 PM
Etched Pixels/Ultima Models do some kits for Gresley and Thompson suburban stock:
http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/lner-nv.html
http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/lner-thompson-nc.html

I've not bought any of these (yet) so cannot comment on how well they go together. I recall that R Marshall built a Thomson suburban a little while back so maybe he can comment.

Alan of Etched Pixels is also a member here and I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions about his kits.

I haven't built any of the LNER stock but I have built one of Alan's GWR O13 milk brake kits. This is part of the same range and has a 3D printed shell for the shape with etched brass overlays to provide the detail. I was very impressed with kit, the mix of materials provides the benefits of each in the appropriate area. It was my first coach kit and it went together quite easily.

Please excuse the cruel close-up. Any deficiencies are due to the skill of the builder and not due to the kit. ;)
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

martyn

An N2 (and N7) are available as kits from Langley-though chassis may be difficult these days.
Ultima/Etched Pixels do both Gresley and Thompson non-corridors. The Thompsons are relatively easy build; the Gresley are a little more complicated as the upper and lower halves of the sides have to be soldered together. I have also use BH Enterprises Thompson body shells with Etched Pixels sides for an alternative build. Ultima kits when owned by Colin were based around Bill Bedford sides, I think.
  Many moons ago, Westwater and Kirk (W+K) did very easy Airfix-style plastic kits for Gresley stock-but these have been out of production for many years, though I did pick up and renovate some at a model show a couple of years ago.
I've built examples of all the quoted kits. There are some pictures in the Gallery section; I can't work out how to upload to a main post.
Martyn

Stevie DC

Quote from: martyn on February 15, 2017, 08:50:38 AMI've built examples of all the quoted kits. There are some pictures in the Gallery section; I can't work out how to upload to a main post.

Hi Martyn,

If you open the picture onto it's own page you should have three options at the bottom of the page, this are:

BBC embed code
HTML embed code
Direct link

By copying and pasting the BBC embed code into your post you can include the relevant pictures:

[smg id=38146]
Martyn's Westwood kit Gresley brake third.

[smg id=38138]
Martyn's Ultima brake third.

It is a shame that, as I understand from Ian Kirk, that the tooling for the old Westwood kits is long gone and there is no hope of seeing these reintroduced. I've been looking for years but have never come across a kit on the second hand market - you're very lucky to have these!

Edit: Westwood and Kirk also produced some locomotive bodies, one of a GWR prairie tank engine (which I understand the tools of which were completely destroyed in an accident) and an LNER V1/V3 tank engine. I believe that both were designed to fit the Minitrix 2-6-2 chassis but, again, I've never come across either.

While I've not built the Ultima Gresley suburbans, I have converted a Dapol coach into a vestibule full brake using their sides (long before the NGS launched their plastic kit). Personally, I would recommend using solder to join the two halves, carefully aligning them before soldering working from the middle outwards to limit any distortion (the conversion sides are very thin!).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations