Exhibitions

Started by texhorse, August 23, 2015, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

Quote from: joe cassidy on August 30, 2015, 12:59:35 PM
I think that exhibitions should be free, and that there should be a collection box prominently positioned by each layout.

That would provide a way of measuring the success of each layout, and maybe we could have a ranking system, like for tennis players ?

Best regards,

Joe

The box for my layout would soon clog up with old buttons and cobwebs  :'(
(tongue in cheek - maybe)

joe cassidy

Paul, I'll probably never get the chance to see your layout in the flesh but, based on what I've seen on here and elsewhere, it's definitely worth at least the price of a pint of Guiness per look  :)

Best regards,

Joe

railsquid

Quote from: joe cassidy on August 30, 2015, 12:59:35 PM
I think that exhibitions should be free, and that there should be a collection box prominently positioned by each layout.

That would provide a way of measuring the success of each layout, and maybe we could have a ranking system, like for tennis players ?

Best regards,

Joe
(tongue in cheek - maybe)

I think it's high time for professionalization within the exhibition community, which should be overseen by an official body known as the "Railway InVestigation (Exhibition Targetted) COmmittee - Utilization Nitpicking Team (Exhibition-Related) Subcommittee" (snappy acronym to be decided) who would vet all potential exhibition layouts according to standardized criteria and publish these as national league tables. This would enable exhibition planners and visitors alike to ensure they can select the creme-de-la-creme of layouts and be sure that if e.g. they peered through the windows of a signal box of a layout ostensibly portraying a wet Monday in April 1982 that they wouldn't see the signalman's breakfast portrayed as a "to-go" from Pret-a-Manger.

railsquid

Quote from: joe cassidy on August 30, 2015, 02:40:44 PM
Paul, I'll probably never get the chance to see your layout in the flesh but, based on what I've seen on here and elsewhere, it's definitely worth at least the price of a pint of Guiness per look  :)
How many pints are needed for the elephants to appear?

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Chris m on August 30, 2015, 12:01:06 PM
Sorry to sound miserable but people coming along asking you to test their just purchased loco while you are concentrating on operating your layout can be a bad thing.

This does depend on circumstances. If there is nobody around so I am not trying to put on a show for anyone then I am more than happy to test other peoples locos. If there are paying customers watching my layout being run then it is wrong to stop this to test a loco. Many large exhibitions, such as the Warley NEC show, have a test track stand.

I have only done this once, asked nicely, and the exhibitors did not object, even though there were quite a few watching. It helped (maybe) that the two locos were maroon Warships and the layout a late 1950s WR one, so they fitted right in.
But yes, buying a loco at a show is a bit of a gamble, but any more so than buying by mail order? After all, if the stock is new then you could just return it in the usual way if found to be faulty.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: railsquid on August 30, 2015, 04:04:53 PM

I think it's high time for professionalization within the exhibition community, which should be overseen by an official body known as the "Railway InVestigation (Exhibition Targetted) COmmittee - Utilization Nitpicking Team (Exhibition-Related) Subcommittee" (snappy acronym to be decided) who would vet all potential exhibition layouts according to standardized criteria and publish these as national league tables.

Now, let's see - an acronym for them  :hmmm:

R. I. V. E. T. Co. U. N. T. E. R. S.  :confused2:

:worried: Still can't think of one - sorry.  :no:
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

cornish yorkie

Hi,   :laughabovepost: OK just my personal thoughts for what its worth. This morning went to the model rail show in Hayle (Cornwall) and although its only 10 minuets walk from home I would have gladly travelled 100 miles. In total contrast visited the BRM show at Ally Pally in June & found it hard work because of the sheer numbers present. I will visit large shows in the future but will learn to plan better especially if it involves a 300 mile journey. As ever just my personal observations.
regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

martink

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 30, 2015, 05:18:51 PM
But yes, buying a loco at a show is a bit of a gamble, but any more so than buying by mail order?
Also known as RTR - "Ready to Repair" or "Ready to Return".

texhorse

Quote from: martink on August 30, 2015, 06:47:37 PM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 30, 2015, 05:18:51 PM
But yes, buying a loco at a show is a bit of a gamble, but any more so than buying by mail order?
Also known as RTR - "Ready to Repair" or "Ready to Return".

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing:

It's not just me that's fallen foul of this then!

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

port perran

Having attended the Hayle Model rail Show on Saturday and Sunday (where I displayed Trepol Bay and Mrs PP showed Descanso Farm), I think it's worthwhile giving an exhibitor's view.
First off, we had a really , really good time but it is VERY hard work. This was, I think, my 7th show as an exhibitor,
On Friday we had to dismantle both layouts , get them into our VW camper to arrive at Hayle for 4pm.
It took two hours to set up and get everything running happily.
7pm home to cook evening meal.
Sat morning, leave home at 8-30 to arrive 9-00 to set out stock and check running.
10-00 - Public start coming in. On feet answering questions and running trains till 5-00 (No break).
Home to cook evening meal.
Sunday. Up and arrive Hayle at 9-30 to check and clean track.
10-00 Public start coming in (very busy).
On feet continuously till 4-00.
4-00 dismantle layouts and get home for 5-15. Cook Evening meal.
We are completely exhausted but we had a brilliant time. It was so good to talk to people who really appreciated seeing the layouts and who offered genuine encouragement. Also great to mingle with fellow modellers.
I can't over emphasise how hard it is to keep a layout running and to talk to the public. It is great to be able to give encouragement to those who are just starting out in the hobby or are struggling to get a layout started.
And great to see the smiles on the faces of children who are absolutely fascinated by miniature railways.
I can only say that Model rail Shows are a great advert for our hobby and should be encouraged.
We had a lovely time but....just remember, for the exhibitors, it is a very tiring 2 or 3 days.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Komata

port perran

You too sir, you too.!!  A very good precis' of the 'joys of model railway exhibitions'.  Thank you. I agree completely about the 'state of exhaustion; you refer-to'; it very quietly creeps up on one, and I have found that by 1200 on the last day, speaking to ANY  member of the public requires a huge effort; and yet there are still four hours to go.... AAAARGH, doesn't even begin to cover it. Yet, somehow, the time does go past until, eventually, it's all over - until the next exhibition, when we quite happily repeat the process , and again, and again and... This perhaps indicates that MR exhibitors are Masochists.  At times, one does wonder :) 

I agree that is  very, very hard to both run a layout and talk, which is the main reason why my layouts tend to be 'single track, single train' operations; there is simply NO time to shunt or 'divert'; the public want to know so much and time is very, very short (seriously; I think you will know what I am saying). Observation suggests that, on average (and at most), we have 10 minutes to 'persuade' and 'peddle' our hobby, and that it is never, ever possible to speak to absolutely everyone who comes past.  One can but hope that those who DO go past will come back.  Sometimes they do...

Finally, aside from those who actually do talk (the majority of our 'client'), there are always the quiet ones; those who just look, say nothing,will frequently stand to one side for hours observing, saying nothing, never engaging in conversation, yet at the end of their 'watching' will sometimes proffer a very quiet 'Thank you' before disappearing back where they came from. Over the years (and a lot of exhibitions), I've had many do that (of all ages BTW, and predominantly male), and find that I can never , ever know what they are thinking.  Memories? Wishfullness? One can never know of course, and I can only hope that what I have done has had some sort of positive effect.  THOSE are the ones who bother me the most, and after its all over for the day, I do tend to ask myself 'Did I help 'somehow', without ever knowing the answer.  No doubt you have experienced similar situations.

Again, thanks, you summarised the exhibitors' experiences well. 

Roll-on the next one  :) :) (in my case, a three-day session in October).   

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Cooper

Port Perran knocks the nail on the head. It's tiring and very enjoyable exhibiting a layout! I've only been doing it the last couple of years and the shows have varied from local club shows, charity events to TINGS and BRM at Peterborough.

I've been inspired at local shows, even if it's just one or two layouts that have an interesting plan, or good scenic treatment, regardless of era or country modelled. I often wonder if the exhibitors spend more than the general public with the traders at some of these. I know I've found the odd bargain or essential item, even if it's just adding another secondhand MGR wagon to the rake or a secondhand book I rarely come home empty handed. They vary on professionalism but no doubt suffer from budget constraints and available venues. On the whole they offer something to the public they're aiming at and the interested modeller.

Some of the bigger shows are different. Even given the variety of layouts there will still only probably be up to 3 I'll really like which I regard as fair enough, because I'm fussy like that. That's just me. Somewhere like TINGS will provide scratch building items and kits you rarely get elsewhere, which is great for what I need, (I also go to Telford for the O gauge Gulidex show for the same reason, September is an expensive month), although TINGS compared to Guildex can still be a hellishly hot cowshed if the weather is good! Other large shows I mostly avoid as a customer, as they're too push and shove and trader heavy and I find I don't really enjoy them as a paying customer. I haven't been to Ally Pally or Warley in years.

What I enjoy as an exhibitor is putting on a good show for the paying public, running prototypically but keeping trains moving, (yes, that's a compromise)  and talking to the public about the layouts I help with and getting them involved. On PostModN66's layouts  Deansmoor and Lofthole Oil Terminal we often have kids stay for ages, and once dragged away they even come back. With my effort Horseblock Lane at our last exhibition we had the middle aged equivalent stick for quite a while. He asked lots of questions about construction, detailing and operation and all were answered and I hope we helped him have a go at doing something on his own layout when he got home.

There is rarely anything new under the sun in railway modelling, just a renewed way of looking at what our predecessors have done with today's kit. But keeping it fresh and enthusing for another generation over a weekend show for petrol money and lunch takes stamina and leaves you with a warm glow, providing the CDU doesn't blow up and not too much needs repairing afterwards....

Sorry, I've gone on a bit. Time to take to the bunker I fear! :o

Buzzard

Quote from: Cooper on August 31, 2015, 09:04:41 AM
Telford for the O gauge Gulidex show

Talking of which the Group that I recently joined are taking a large roundy-roundy with a crew of 10.

A minimum of 3 are required on Group nights to operate the layout, 2 on controllers and 1 doing the signals which are fully interlocked.  However for Telford 2 additional souls in addition to the signalman will be "out front" to answer questions.

And of course there's all the loading and unloading of the 7 ton lorry.  Don't know how long each take but there's a lot of this and that to be moved.  Getting the stock on the layout takes a huge amount of time as well, boy am I glad I'm a N gauger!

Even with two complete crews of 5 it'll be tough for my colleagues to get through the weekend.  Lessons are bound to be learned and, if necessary, improvements made for Warley in 2017.

Nigel

Steve Brassett

Quote from: Komata on August 31, 2015, 04:51:35 AM
THOSE are the ones who bother me the most, and after its all over for the day, I do tend to ask myself 'Did I help 'somehow', without ever knowing the answer.  No doubt you have experienced similar situations.

I can speak as one of the quiet ones.  As a beginner, I am a little wary of asking stupid questions.  Also, I am at the stage where I learn a lot simply by "standing and staring" - seeing how the modelling is done.  So, if someone is watching the layout, rather than quickly moving away, then you almost certainly are helping.

port perran

Thanks Steve.
I always try to engage the quiet watchers in conversation if I can (and there are often several of these at exhibitions who will stand and look for a long time).  Once I've done that , people are usually happy to start chatting and asking questions. My opening line is generally, "Do you have a layout yourself?".
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations