Forum Issues

Started by Tank, July 19, 2023, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

Speaking of looking proper, it's good to see the signals back  :thumbsup:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Tank

Yes, the signals make it seem more like the old forum.

Still lots going on in the background folks.   :*(    :D

Tank

I just had to add some extra to the donations, due to some changes that were made - forum speed, updated buttons for Unread Posts, modifications.

Thank you SO MUCH for the donations that members have donated.  I'm really overwhelmed by the generosity from so many of you. This has been a costly project, with more to do, but currently we're stuck until the authors of the modifications update them.

Papyrus

Thanks Chris @Tank for all your hard work. We appreciate how costly it has been and I for one am more than happy to put a few zlotys and rupees into the coffers, but what I and the rest of the Forumites can't put a price on is all the time and effort you and the NGF techie have put into this. I know you have been getting some gripes, which must be difficult to bear when you are probably tearing your hair out, but we genuinely appreciate what you are doing and we know the Forum will be bigger and better at the end of it.

All best wishes, and happy modelling!

Cheers,

Chris

Tank

Thanks for the kind message, and the donation.  Yes, it just takes time to get everything back to where it should be.  One thing I learnt years ago, people don't like change, even if it's for the better!   :D

Malc-c

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this (was sure there was a post migration thread issues somewhere)... anyway  I don't appear to be receiving notifications to posts on threads I've created, or posted on.

Also - several posts don't appear to be word wrapping.  Example

Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

Newportnobby

Must admit to having had the odd wrapping issue :uneasy:

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 23, 2023, 09:49:16 PMMust admit to having had the odd wrapping issue :uneasy:

And it's not even Christmas yet!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Thank goodness I put £500 on you being the first to come up with that :P

PLD

Quote from: Malc-c on August 23, 2023, 07:14:18 PMNot sure if this is the correct thread to post this (was sure there was a post migration thread issues somewhere)... anyway  I don't appear to be receiving notifications to posts on threads I've created, or posted on.

Also - several posts don't appear to be word wrapping.  Example

The (non)wrapping issue is partly user inflicted. It is invariably when someone has posted a very long web-link in full rather than using the [ url=hhtp://whatever ] html tag.
A lot of forum packages don't handle them well (not just this one...). e-bay links seem particularly problematic.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: PLD on August 23, 2023, 10:16:39 PMThe (non)wrapping issue is partly user inflicted. It is invariably when someone has posted a very long web-link in full rather than using the [ url=hhtp://whatever ] html tag.
e-bay links seem particularly problematic.

You only need to copy the link only as far as the item number, ie. up to but not including the first question mark in the link.  Everything after that is search and referral data etc.

I agree that using the "Insert a link" button helps with truncating the link text shown in the post or creating a more friendly description, whilst still following the entire intact link when you click on it.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bigmac

nope--that didnt work either
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

njee20

Agreed on long URLs being problematic,  but in the photo above that's just a long paragraph with no text wrapping, which is odd.

PLD

In the ROS thread in the screenshot above, it is reply #12 that is the culprit...
That causes the page to widen, which then impacts all other posts on the same page...

Paul

Bigmac

Quote from: PLD on August 24, 2023, 10:50:43 AMIn the ROS thread in the screenshot above, it is reply #12 that is the culprit...
That causes the page to widen, which then impacts all other posts on the same page...

Paul

and ive managed to edit and correct the link--so its normal service has been resumed.

no doubt it will happen again.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations