Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

QuoteCan't wait to get hold of them!

You can come and drool over mine at the Bournemouth exhibition this weekend.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

joe cassidy

Quote from: Mr chapman on February 04, 2015, 03:50:33 PM
Mine arrived today. Just superb! To say they are free running is an understatement. My original run M7 will pull five and a CCT  :claphappy:
Edit just to prove it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqxRSgEUevs&feature=youtu.be

How come the M7 never won the world speed record for steam locos ?

Looks to me that yours could out-run Mallard  ;)

Best regards,

Jo

Mr chapman

The dapol M7 is a rocket! Just a small amount of power and its off.
DCC southern modeller

Southernboy

I have two of them Mr Chapman, and found that not only are they like a rocket, but proceed at such speed in a pogo-stick style.

I have to say that now, some years later, they seem to be settling down, but that's little consolation after years of dissappointment and frustration.

Dorsetmike

I have 4 M7s, I get no rocket or jack rabbit performance; I suspect the problem many have is likely to be due to the controller. One suggestion is to add a resistor in series with the feed from the controller to track with a switch connected across it so the resistor can be bypassed for locos that behave normally. resistor value between 22 and 47 ohms, 1 watt, experiment with values to find one that suits your controller and the loco.

|-resistor-|
controller------------|              |------------- track
                             |--switch--|

Switch open/off, resistor is used, Switch closed/on resistor bypassed.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Mr chapman

My M7's perform well. I use a gaugemaster. I was just commenting on the surprising turn of speed they have, much like the Q1. Dapol or real thing. Come to think of it I've never had a dudd from Dapol.

Please note I don't want this to turn into ANOTHER thread about dapol QC blah blah blah. I know people have had the odd duff model. But no more than any other company.

Except union mills locos which are indestructible :)
DCC southern modeller

Roy L S

Quote from: Mr chapman on February 07, 2015, 08:14:35 PM
My M7's perform well. I use a gaugemaster. I was just commenting on the surprising turn of speed they have, much like the Q1. Dapol or real thing. Come to think of it I've never had a dudd from Dapol.

Please note I don't want this to turn into ANOTHER thread about dapol QC blah blah blah. I know people have had the odd duff model. But no more than any other company.

Except union mills locos which are indestructible :)

Nope not quite, my UM D16/3 is a bit of a lemon. Slow running dreadful, stutters and lurches in reverse. Now awaiting a motor upgrade.

Roy

UPINSMOKE

Help wanted please I have already asked before but still cannot get my head round it at all. So have to ask for help again. :sorrysign:

I want to buy a rake of 5 Maunsell Coaches to run on my southern railway its based loosely in East Sussex. And I am not sure what to get I think they ran from Eastbourne.

Firstly what stockist on line to go for. But they must be in stock.

And secondly and most important to me is I need help choosing what I should get if someone could write me a shopping list with order codes as the running numbers mean nothing to me I would also like a Brake Van but again not sure what number to order.

If you could please help it would be much appreciated. :thankyousign:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Karhedron

Quote from: UPINSMOKE on February 07, 2015, 10:05:39 PM
I want to buy a rake of 5 Maunsell Coaches to run on my southern railway its based loosely in East Sussex. And I am not sure what to get I think they ran from Eastbourne.

There were several 5-coach sets of Maunsells formed over the years made up of BTK-TK-FK-TK-BTK. I suspect the formation is not exactly right for the particular coaches Dapol have released but if you are looking for something "about right", this should do nicely.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Dorsetmike

For Eastbourne I'd have thought BTK, TK, 2x FK BTK, or BTK CK FK CK BTK, the commuter services from Brighton, Eastbourne and Worthing usually had more first class accommodation than elsewhere. the Eastbourne  & Worthing 8 sets as discussed earlier in this thread were BTK, TK, 4 X FK, TK, BTK,  Rails of Sheffield show stock of all the Maunsells Dapol have released so far.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

UPINSMOKE

Thanks for the feedback guys. But to make it even clearer to me and to you what I needed was what of the following I should buy.

2P-012-001 N Gauge Maunsell Coach First Class Maunsell Lined Green 7671
2P-012-002 N Gauge Maunsell Coach First Class Maunsell Lined Green 7674
2P-012-051 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Brake Third Class Maunsell Lined Green 4051
2P-012-052 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Brake Third Class Maunsell Lined Green 4050
2P-012-100 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Third Class Maunsell Lined Green 2354
2P-012-101 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Third Class Maunsell Lined Green 2355
2P-012-151 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Composite Maunsell Lined Green 5138
2P-012-152 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Composite Maunsell Lined Green 5147

2P-012-201 N Gauge Maunsell Brake Van Maunsell Lined Green 448
2P-012-200 N Gauge Maunsell Brake Van Maunsell Lined Green 716

2P-012-251 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Set 469 Maunsell Lined Green
The Set Comprises of Brake Third 4048, Third Class 2350, 2 x First Class 7665 & 7667

The numbers in Red are the order numbers and the ones in Blue are the running numbers for each coach so what I need to know does it matter what running numbers I choose as long as a get a rake of say 5 as you have mentioned in the previous posts. Its the running numbers I find confusing. Well to be honest I find the order numbers confusing as well what do they all mean :confused2: :worried: :worried: :doh: :doh: :doh: :thankyousign:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Dorsetmike

Probably easiest and maybe a little cheaper to get the 4 coach set and a brake third, the coaches in the set from Rails of Sheffield are listed  as set 450 with 2 brake 3rds and 2 compos, maybe best to ask before ordering, if it's as you quote then the fifth coach needs to be BTK, if as Rails list, then either a TK or FK would be OK

Quote2P-012-251 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Set 469 Maunsell Lined Green
The Set Comprises of Brake Third 4048, Third Class 2350, 2 x First Class 7665 & 7667

Quote2P-012-052 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Brake Third Class Maunsell Lined Green 4050

OR if as Rails have it listed then one of the following

Quote2P-012-002 N Gauge Maunsell Coach First Class Maunsell Lined Green 7674

Quote2P-012-100 N Gauge Maunsell Coach Third Class Maunsell Lined Green 2354

None of these combinations are prototypical, Dapol have not released enough different coaches to make up actual SR sets; all you can do is make up something that suits your budget from what is available. From the coaches Dapol have so far released you could make up 8 coach sets 469 or 470 but you would have to renumber some of the coaches.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Southernboy

New stock for 1926 announced here :)

Mr chapman

I've not seen any pictures of a Maunsell with a light bar in yet. So here you go

It looks far brighter in the picture than real life. The roof is moulded onto the body so there's no light bleed like the GWR coaches.
DCC southern modeller

ChrisWV10

Does the whole body come off then MrC? With The Colletts and Gresleys just the roof pops off to fit the light bar.

Cheers

C. :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations