It's N Gauge, not N scale!

Started by petejones, June 12, 2018, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petejones

Hi,

Does anyone else get annoyed by the use of the term N Scale, rather than N Gauge? A lot of the big players make the mistake, such as Gaugemaster.

Cheers
Pete

railsquid

It certainly annoys the heck out of me when people refer to N gauge people, buildings etc.

RailGooner

JasonBz

Gauge can only ever refer to the track. At least Scale gives sort of an idea of what we are talking about ;)

Tom U

Quote from: JasonBz on June 13, 2018, 12:23:59 AM
Gauge can only ever refer to the track. At least Scale gives sort of an idea of what we are talking about ;)

That statement aligns with the very (I think) good explanation in wikipedia under "N scale"
In my engineering experience, "guage" (in this context) defines a set measurement (e.g. 18 guage sheet steel or wire = 0.04 inch).  Scale is a fixed proportion/ratio of a full size.

But honestly it does not bother me when N scale or gauge is used - I know what the writer means :-)

Bealman

Americans use the term all the time. I don't mind it, as gauge to me has always meant width between the rails.

However, as Railgooner points out, there has already been discussion on this.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Virtually everything's been discussed before, it would be a dull place if we weren't ever going over old ground!

UK prototype: N gauge
Rest of the world: N scale

Certainly doesn't bother me.

Intercity

I learned really quick when doing searches online to do two searches one for scale items and one for gauge items.

This is much the same as when people get annoyed with Railway and Railroad, that has been much discussed on various forums too (Amtrak's Railroad can run on BNSF Railway tracks gets brought up regularly but that probably for a different post)

njee20

At least we can all agree that "train station" is just wrong. Although trains stop there, not railways, and you wouldn't say "road station" for a place that buses stop...

Bealman

Right in the same building as the railway station

Apologies. Just got back from Japan.  ;) :beers:

PaulCheffus

Quote from: njee20 on June 13, 2018, 10:33:23 AM
At least we can all agree that "train station" is just wrong. Although trains stop there, not railways, and you wouldn't say "road station" for a place that buses stop...

Hi

Basically its the medium of transport that should be used for example airport, spaceport, railway station. Bus station is the odd one out as you can't say road station as is only for one type of vehicle.

I've given up trying to argue with people on this and the younger people all refer to it as "Train Station".

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Bealman

The Q

I ask then when the camel train is coming in...

Then I have to explain a train is not an object, it is a line of Items joined together, trains do not run on the rails a railway(railroad) train runs on the rails..

BramptonBranch

You can never have to many Warships!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations