N scale

Started by Elvinley, February 10, 2017, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvinley

Why does the term N scale wind me up so much? It has always been N gauge in this country.

RailGooner

Agreed. I tend to unconsciously translate 'N Scale' as meaning 1:160 à la US and Continental.

RailGooner

Can't say it winds me up though. Does make me envious,  :drool: of some of kit available due to the larger market.

Elvinley

I think it is the way Farish have switched to using the term. N 'scale' makes no sense.

They actually changed it to 'scale' on their 2008 catalogue, so I have had nearly a decade to get riled.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Quote from: Elvinley on February 10, 2017, 11:21:43 PM
I think it is the way Farish have switched to using the term. N 'scale' makes no sense.

They actually changed it to 'scale' on their 2008 catalogue, so I have had nearly a decade to get riled.
Oh yes. I've never noticed that.  :-[ Probably an edict from head office.

Quote from: RailGooner on February 10, 2017, 11:15:34 PM
Can't say it winds me up though. ...
So if we're talking about the misuse of 'N Scale' when talking about 'N Gauge' then I'm in full agreement with you @Elvinley - that does wind me up!  :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:

PLD

"N" as we use (or abuse) it refers to a specific combination (or rather three geographically distinct combinations) of Model to Prototype Linear Dimension Ratio (what we call Scale) and model track Gauge.

As those three geographically distinct combinations of Scale and Gauge share a common Gauge, "N-Gauge" is acceptable and valid as an overarching descriptive term. "N-Scale" is not, though perhaps "British N-Scale","German N-Scale" (yes - Arnold first used the 1:160 ratio not the Yanks ;) ) & "Japanese N-Scale" are meaningful and so tolerable...

Contrast that to the big boys who have 00, EM and P4 with a common scale but different gauges - "00-gauge"/"EM Gauge"/"P4 Gauge" are valid terms "00-Scale"/"EM-Scale" absolutely isn't, otherwise a "EM-gauge" model could also be labelled "00-Scale"  :doh:

And what about "009" Narrow Gauge modellers?? their models share that "N-Gauge" but are most definitely not "N-Scale" and although they share a common Scale with "00"/"EM"/"P4" they are not "00-gauge"/"EM Gauge"/"P4 Gauge". :hmmm:

In the real world; Call it whatever you like... Doesn't really matter... we'll know what you mean, though some pedant will always quibble...  ::)

RailGooner

Oh, now I don't know if I'm wound up, a pedant, or just tired.  ???  I'll sleep on it a while.  :sleep: ;)

austinbob

Quote from: PLD on February 11, 2017, 12:25:23 AM
"N" as we use (or abuse) it refers to a specific combination (or rather three geographically distinct combinations) of Model to Prototype Linear Dimension Ratio (what we call Scale) and model track Gauge.

As those three geographically distinct combinations of Scale and Gauge share a common Gauge, "N-Gauge" is acceptable and valid as an overarching descriptive term. "N-Scale" is not, though perhaps "British N-Scale","German N-Scale" (yes - Arnold first used the 1:160 ratio not the Yanks ;) ) & "Japanese N-Scale" are meaningful and so tolerable...

Contrast that to the big boys who have 00, EM and P4 with a common scale but different gauges - "00-gauge"/"EM Gauge"/"P4 Gauge" are valid terms "00-Scale"/"EM-Scale" absolutely isn't, otherwise a "EM-gauge" model could also be labelled "00-Scale"  :doh:

And what about "009" Narrow Gauge modellers?? their models share that "N-Gauge" but are most definitely not "N-Scale" and although they share a common Scale with "00"/"EM"/"P4" they are not "00-gauge"/"EM Gauge"/"P4 Gauge". :hmmm:

In the real world; Call it whatever you like... Doesn't really matter... we'll know what you mean, though some pedant will always quibble...  ::)
Ignorance is bliss. My limited number of brain cells are full up and, although the above is a very comprehensive explanation, I will continue to accept N scale or N gauge as an adequate representation of my modelling preference.
:doh: :hmmm: :sleep: :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

DesertHound

Quote from: Elvinley on February 10, 2017, 11:04:01 PM
Why does the term N scale wind me up so much? It has always been N gauge in this country.

They can call it a cup of tea for all I care ... t'will always be N Gauge to me. N Scale is something they use across the water from us as far as I'm concerned.

Whatever you call it chaps, enjoy it  :pint:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Bealman

If I'm assuming things correctly, I think the OP was a light hearted post. Let's not all get too carried away with it!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Long live N gauge and N scale _ whatever they are..
:ngauge: Oh Drat. There isn't an N scale smiley. Now where's that Tank fella when you need him?
  :D
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daffy

I always thought that nwas a variable quantity, scale was something the dentist got rid of, and pedants were something you hung around the neck.

:hmmm: :confused1:

Whatever the truth its all very Ngaugeing. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Quote from: daffy on February 11, 2017, 09:43:14 AM

Whatever the truth its all very Ngaugeing. :D
Are you sure you don't mean Nscaling Daffy?
:laughabovepost:

Bob Austin

Tank

Quote from: austinbob on February 11, 2017, 09:39:15 AM
Long live N gauge and N scale _ whatever they are..
:ngauge: Oh Drat. There isn't an N scale smiley. Now where's that Tank fella when you need him?
  :D

Boo!   :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations