It's N Gauge, not N scale!

Started by petejones, June 12, 2018, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

Quote from: themadhippy on June 13, 2018, 05:57:22 PM
QuoteBut it isn't a train station. Anyone using that expression should be publicly humiliated.
why? station is  from stationary ,or not moving.The rails dont move,unless its rather hot or cold,its the trains that become stationary.
Well, no. Stationary is from station: a position or place. As in 'the place where the railway is (accessible)'

They were called railway stations before the bus had even been invented.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

dannyboy

Well, I am following everybodys train of thought and whist sitting stationary, I can reply, in this day and age, without using any stationery.

However, I appreciate that everyone has their own point of view, but has this topic run its course now?  ???. Personally, I don't care whether it is 'scale' or 'gauge' - I know what I am looking for when buying.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

weave

Everyone STOP!

France - Echelle N

Spain - Escala N

Britain - N Gauge trains and track, N scale buildings, scenery etc.

It doesn't matter because my wife has got hooked on watching Love Island and it's doing my head in  :headbutt: Repeating now and then again at 9  :doh:.

Sorry for the hijack, I just needed to share.

Thank you weave. Help me!

My other (liquid) friends are doing their best  :beers:

Zogbert Splod

What a silly thread!  I will consign it to the trash, or, do I mean the rubbish?  Since I lived in the US for twenty years, I do tend to use the terms interchangeably (and catch crap for doing so).
I do the same with 'scale' and 'gauge' as referenced in this thread.  Actually, I don't care much in either case.
I think those that I talk with know what I mean due to the context in which the word in question is used.
But wait, I sort of like silly threads, so, more power to it!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Mito

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on June 13, 2018, 08:52:01 PM
What a silly thread!  I will consign it to the trash, or, do I mean the rubbish?  Since I lived in the US for twenty years, I do tend to use the terms interchangeably (and catch crap for doing so).
I do the same with 'scale' and 'gauge' as referenced in this thread.  Actually, I don't care much in either case.
I think those that I talk with know what I mean due to the context in which the word in question is used.

Talking with someone means you are both or all talking at the same time, as the Spanish tend to do. To have a conversation you must talk to someone.
A slight nudge off the topic but it might keep going for another few pages more :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Newportnobby

Quote from: weave on June 13, 2018, 08:37:04 PM
It doesn't matter because my wife has got hooked on watching Love Island and it's doing my head in  :headbutt: Repeating now and then again at 9  :doh:.

Oh dear. There's just no hope left. It's not you that needs help, Weave, but I'm sure your friends Jack Daniels and Captain Morgan may be of assistance. Good luck!

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Yet_Another on June 13, 2018, 07:06:22 PM

They were called railway stations before the bus had even been invented.

100 or so years ago, some of the places where buses congregated were called road car stations, particularly in Kent and Lincolnshire where the bus company included road car in its name.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

RailGooner

Quote from: acko22 on June 13, 2018, 02:10:35 PM
Quote from: PaulCheffus on June 13, 2018, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: njee20 on June 13, 2018, 10:33:23 AM
At least we can all agree that "train station" is just wrong. Although trains stop there, not railways, and you wouldn't say "road station" for a place that buses stop...

Basically its the medium of transport that should be used for example airport, spaceport, railway station. Bus station is the odd one out as you can't say road station as is only for one type of vehicle.

So what do you call it when nothing stops there as Northern have cancelled them all?  ???

In all the time I worked at Cable & Wireless Earth Station Tackley, we never had a single Earth stop. :veryangry:

EtchedPixels

The society is called 'The N Gauge Society'. I couldn't therefore resist asking if they'd take articles about OO9 narrow gauge 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: Mito on June 13, 2018, 09:38:32 PM
Quote from: Zogbert Splod on June 13, 2018, 08:52:01 PM

Talking with someone means you are both or all talking at the same time, as the Spanish tend to do. To have a conversation you must talk to someone.
A slight nudge off the topic but it might keep going for another few pages more :D

A most excellent illustration of the underlying theme of the thread.  I wonder how many people REALLY give a poop if the word is scale or gauge, trash or rubbish, with or to...  Perhaps I should have said 'converse' or some derivative there of instead of 'talk'.  I wonder this on the basis that converse implies a bi-lateral exchange of ideas/observances/concepts.  In this case the poster has chosen to take me to task in an effort to keep the thread going.  I have no problem with that.

ps:  The Spanish system sounds fine to me as it gets a chat done and out of the way in half the time!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

acko22

To be honest I think the use of either is workable, the main thing is the single letter(s) at the start N

How ever you look at it may it left or right hand drive we still accept a car is a car and for me its the same concept Ok slightly different I know but still basically the same thing they are both N.

If anything I use the wording of Gauge or Scale as a guide as to how close something may be to been what I want, say a building if its something a model will be next to or driving into say a depot I want it to be as close a possible so I will end up looking more at N "gauge" where as if its N "scale" I could use it for the back scene where it doesn't have to size up as perfectly.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

RailGooner

Damn! 'Thank You' button's gone AWOL again. ???

:thankyousign: @Zogbert Splod

Bealman

[mod]Should be back now. :thumbsup:[/mod]
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bingley Hall

Wake me up when it's all over please.

broadsword

They think its all over, it is now !  By the way , in one of my favourite movies (The heat of the night),
the trains arrive at the dee-poe.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations