Minitrix locos

Started by jonclox, February 20, 2011, 10:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiawatha and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Paddy

The Model Railway Doctor can also normally assist with Minitrix repairs.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

macwales

Hi

I have a fleet of Minitrix locos dating from the early 1980s. Most were new and some bought at fairs second hand. All were superb runners but a couple suffered from being worn out or accidents.
Here is a rundown on them now.

Britannia pacific - my first n gauge loco ran continuously for what must have added up to a year. Then problem with a traction tyre and I lost the wheel pin holding on the coupling rod. I have now repaired this but the loco needs new brushes. can anyone assist with these?

2 x 9F Evening Star and black un-named. Both still running and easily my best pullers still. Both look OK on their own but not alongside my Dapol 9F.   

A4 Mallard - Green - Good runner still in mint condition and kept in box no longer run on my layout - replaced with A4 Dapol Silver Link.

Ivatt 2MT Tank Still running and a great loco, good over points and a great puller

Ivatt 2MT tender loco. This worked great for a long time and looked good especially double headed with the 2MT Tank and a long rake. The valve gear slide got damaged during cleaning and I bought a complete chassis from Dr Al on this forum classifieds and it now runs again perfectly.

Dock tank 0-6-0 BR outline and German Both work well except at low speeds over points but look great double headed together and then no points stalling!

German 2-6-2 tank - Great runner with six lights!!

German Maroon diesel shunter. This got a shorted motor due to my own butterfingers during an attempt to replace brushes with some from another loco. Now running again with the motor from the old 2MT Tender loco chassis. (Motor had to be  turned round to fit). Now just needs a new connecting rod on one side . Has anyone got one of these that is going spare?

Class 26 diesel

I have two of these, one bought second hand years ago for £14 This got worn out and I could not get brushes so last year I bought another cheaply on e bay and its running again, using the ebay one motor. I use it for pushing my Tomix track cleaner around the layout as it is very heavy and powerful.

The moral of all this. Minitrix locos are still cool and can be kept running by consulting on here and buying cheaply (don't get carried away) for spares on e bay!!

Cheers

Mac

Seawise

Thanks for the very helpful information.

Regards

Chris
Let your dreams become your favourite memories

Terry

I also have a Trix Britania 70009, I`m also looking for spare parts four pickups in the tender that run against the wheels, also any info on tender dismantling

Terry

Many thanks for the link Newportnobby got the tender dismantled, looks like the pickups are not easily replaced will just have to reshape them. Also the weight that takes the tender link has a damaged screw hole so I will have to get round that problem, thanks again. :thankyousign:

minitrix

I've been collecting a lot of "spares/repair" minitrix locos, and so far there hasn't really be any I have not been able to fix. New jap 5 pole motor transplants work very well (better than originals, dare I say...) and the rest of the gear barely wears from anything but abusive use. Congealed grease and carpet fluff are the two main challenges. The great thing about collecting classic british/hornby Minitrix is that:

a) It was built to last and can be kept running just about for ever
b) you really can aim to collect just about one of everything - ie there is no continual pressure to buy the latest "collectors" releases

I may be getting some of the trickier fragile plastic valve gear parts remade in brass or even silver. Anyone interested?

Terry

Are the 5 pole armature/motors available/exspensive? if so where from

oscar

Jerry Howlett

Think I may have an Ivatt that needs surgery.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Dr Al

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 19, 2013, 09:32:58 AM
Think I may have an Ivatt that needs surgery.

Usually fairl easy to get these going again as long as the motor itself is ok.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

mcr22

Hi....is it possible to fit a front coupling to a minitrix britannia?
thanks

austinbob

Quote from: mcr22 on December 16, 2014, 03:35:29 PM
Hi....is it possible to fit a front coupling to a minitrix britannia?
thanks

and also to a Farish Poole Duchess?
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Geriatrix

I'm looking for the rearmost wheel set for a Dock Tank 0-6-0 (or German equivalent ). The gear wheel on mine (the one driven by the worm) is damaged. Any help on this appreciated. With or without coupling rods will be fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

Dr Al

Quote from: Geriatrix on December 18, 2014, 12:57:08 PM
I'm looking for the rearmost wheel set for a Dock Tank 0-6-0 (or German equivalent ). The gear wheel on mine (the one driven by the worm) is damaged. Any help on this appreciated. With or without coupling rods will be fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have one here if of any use - PM me if of interest.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations