What locos to start with?

Started by Sockskii, January 02, 2017, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bornin1980something

If you're doing a preserved line, I would suggest that your next purchase be two Mk1 coaches, ideally a Standard Open and a Brake end. The wagons can then be placed in the sidings or used on a demonstration goods. Alternatively, you can model a small start-up in the early days of preservation, and have passengers in the wagons! As for a location, I would suggest the area depicted on one or both of the private owner wagons, but the exact location of a preserved line need not obvious.

It is certainly not unheard of for a preservation site to have several large diesels, but just one small steam engine. Some are all diesel.

BTW, have you looked at any of the current crop of dcc ready DMUs.

Mr PJ

Hello,

I have to agree with Skyline2's comments about the Class 37 and 47 which were among the most common types of locos on the network and amongst the longest lived, still seeing operation on the network today. The later Bachmann/Farish versions  are lovely models and capture the prototypes pretty much perfectly.

I think the recent Bachmann/Farish Class 25 is also an excellent model, and from my experience are really good runners, so a good starting point. Of the small loco's 25s were by far the most common, and saw service on most parts of the network other than the Southern region.
A nice small loco to start with, equally at home on light passenger or freight duties, and quite a number preserved to boot.

I would steer clear of the old Poole models if you want to use DCC. Some like them as they are reliable runners, and a bit cheaper to obtain - but they are a problem to convert to DCC (can be done, but its a lot of messing around). Also they are far poorer representations of the prototype and lack LED lighting.

Cheers,
Paul

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Chris Morris on January 03, 2017, 01:32:19 PM
I would go for diesel rather than steam as your first few purchases. All the ones I have run very well.
Did Western Princess suggest a class 22. These are fantastic models with spoked wheels (not that I can see them). They are kind of at home on a branch or main line. None were preserved

An attempt was made to preserve one at the time (D6319 if my memory is correct), which had just (literally) come out of Swindon works after overhaul - in rumour it was said you could still smell the new paint, but it was still scrapped rather than let it be sold into preservation.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Bornin1980something

I've read about that. The loco was secured for preservation and taken to Derby for processing, but a miscommunication led to it being sent on for scrap. The error was not discovered until the loco was broken up. BR then offered the preservationists any redundant diesel for the same price. They chose a Class 42.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations