New Post Ratings Installed

Started by guest2, December 30, 2018, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madann01

I think the contentious issue from my point of view is the use of the negative emojis the word dislike smacks of someone who is offended by a post or has an agender, why would someone want to  dislike a post?  Disagreeing is a different matter and should be used with a comment as to why you disagree, thus opening up debate,
  Surly you are looking to encourage full engagement in the forum and positive feedback will encourage this, nothing could be more discouraging than recieving a 'dislike,' for a post especially if 'postie' is unaware of where he may have got it wrong,
  The Stalwarts of the forum may be able to shrug off any negative feedback,but pease encourage! those who perhaps are not as versed in the ways of model railwaying or the etiquette of using a forum.

MinZaPint

Back in September 2013 all I wanted was A like button!
Quote from: MinZaPint on September 25, 2013, 11:46:08 AM
I frequently find that when I'm having a quick browse and haven't time to post a reply, that a like button in recognition of someone's modelling skills or financial dexterity in acquiring models would be very useful. the "Thank you" is fine when receiving help and replies to questions. Just my an idea.

David

Lets see how it goes and then just have the most popular options but not too many  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

maridunian

Quote from: Madann01 on December 31, 2018, 12:00:10 PM
I think the contentious issue from my point of view is the use of the negative emojis the word dislike smacks of someone who is offended by a post or has an agender, why would someone want to  dislike a post?  Disagreeing is a different matter and should be used with a comment as to why you disagree, thus opening up debate,
  Surly you are looking to encourage full engagement in the forum and positive feedback will encourage this, nothing could be more discouraging than recieving a 'dislike,' for a post especially if 'postie' is unaware of where he may have got it wrong,
  The Stalwarts of the forum may be able to shrug off any negative feedback,but pease encourage! those who perhaps are not as versed in the ways of model railwaying or the etiquette of using a forum.

I agree with these points completely. I was pleased to discover the enhancements to the "Thank You" button this morning, but only the 'positive' ones! I do find positive comments and 'Thank yous' motivating; 'no comment' is neutral in effect but a negative emoticon, especially without any supporting argument, would probably lead me to block the poster. I suppose it's an extension of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". Maybe I'm too touchy, but for me this isn't a social/banter site - it's all about our models, which are obviously close to our hearts.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

RailGooner

I believe the more options for interaction that are available for one to choose from, the more people will interact.

If I were very introvert, shy, embarrassed by my language and/or grammar skills, pressed for time, etc. then I might not be able/willing to post a reply. Whereas I might be able/willing to click an emoji. The internet has the power to breakdown barriers between peoples, reduce exclusivity, and increase inclusivity. If we let it!

I believe these extra emojis have made this forum more inclusive. :beers:

Tank

Update - The current version will not work with our alerts system, so I've had to purchase another which will be installed soon.  I will then take into account what has already been said and we can trial it again.

Yet_Another

Quote from: RailGooner on December 31, 2018, 08:44:00 PM
I believe the more options for interaction that are available for one to choose from, the more people will interact.
I believe the opposite: the more choices there are, the less people make them.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Innovationgame

Whenever I read a long post, particularly with photos, I always say thankyou for the information and the effort that has gone into it.  Under the old system, when I entered a thread, if I could see the Thankyou button had disappeared, I knew I didn't have to read the post again.  But with the new system, there is no way of knowing and, because I follow many threads, it is often easy to forget which posts I have read (put it down to my age!).  Now, when I say thankyou (or give one of the other reponses) the choice disappears and a message appears to eneble me to cancel my response.  However, when I return to the thread from another, that message disappears and I am faced with the original choice again.  The only way to tell whether I have said thankyou (or made some other response) is to click the view link.  So, although I applaud the idea of improving the forum, the changes seem to have made using it more difficult.  Up to the present time, I have found this to be by far the easiest forum to use.  I hope that continues long into the future.  Would it be possible to include an icon at the top of each post to indicate that I have already responded?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

njee20

View all latest threads and click on the orange 'new' button not the thread title. It'll take you to the first unread post.

I would say it's better having the 'reactions' at the bottom, is it that much of a hardship if you start reading a post and realise you've already read it?

Bealman

I'm seriously starting to think leave well alone.

"Thank you" to the bottom, though. Having to scroll back up to hit thank you was a real pain.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

JasonBz

One thing overlooked (as I have found out myself) is that that buttons allow one to "comment" on old posts, without havin to drag them out of the past.
It does make the site feel more inclusive for those of us that only look in here every now and then :)

joe cassidy

I'm finding that whereas in the past I was a bit stingy with "Thank Yous", with the other options I am now giving more feedback on the posts I read.

Best regards,

Joe

RailGooner

:hmmm:

This is the 57th post on this thread. I'm one of 26 members contributing those 57 posts.

To this point there have been 60 Thank You emojis submitted. At the same point, there have been 111 other emojis submitted.

Read what you want in to these stats. I read that there are a few members (myself including) who are willing to 'voice' their opinions through a post, and a lot of members who have found a new voice in the new emojis.

Madann01

I am sure that all can see that the new emojis will benefit participation in the forum, and the usefulness in avoiding the clutter  But  only if used in a positive way and not to cast a doubt in the less active members minds weather or not to express an opinion for fear of recieving a dislike or a  disagreement by a non committal reply, or by turning  it into a vote. Personall  I will not use the negitive emojis without backing it up with a comment on why.i disagree or dislike a post and I'm sure many other members will do the same.
Having said this I cannot see me using the disagree or dislike buttons as I do not have the knowledge or experience to do so unless it's on a subject (Other than model railways) on which I am confident  that I know something about.
Being a fairly new member I cannot comment on previous systems but can only state  what I feel about the new system this is not to say I won't use it but I will be very careful in what I post or reply to. :

Innovationgame

Until I read the word in this thread, I had never heard the word Emoji.  Now I find it comes from the Japanese, from e 'picture' + moji 'letter, character'.  Of course, I have used smileys and what I now know as emojis for years, but I was never aware of the term.  In the present context, they are not really emojis, but links to actions that registers against the post.  However, I guess the word suffices to describe the action.  But I still find the forum slightly less easy to use than it was before.  I tried the 'Show unread posts since last visit.' link, but that gives me a list of scores of posts, most of which are of no interest to me.  So I guess I shall just have to trundle on.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

njee20

Indeed sadly, apologies we obviously consume the forum in different ways, I've never 'watched' specific threads, just see them if they come up.

I must say I agree with the majority that having the icons at the bottom of the post is better, even if it results in reading a post more than once!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations