Stock database?

Started by kirky, December 17, 2011, 04:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komata

I don't know if it i of interest to anyone, but Dallas Model Works (an American hobby shop) at: http://www.dallasmodelworks.com/  has a service for its members which would seem to be what is being discussed here; the creation of a rolling stock register.

Membership of the site is free (Google Dallas Model Works to learn more, if you are interested), and have a look at the section lablled  'My Railroad Apps'  It is possible that what is being offered is useful. 

Just a suggestion which might interest some of the membership.

(Usual Disclaimer: I'm not in any way connected to Dallas Model Works).

Komata

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

ParkeNd

A standard Excel spreadsheet does all this for free without needing any special skills. If you have such a huge stock that you need a relational database to find something (say tens of thousands of items) then you can already afford to pay someone to write one for you.

Is that you Rod ?

EtchedPixels

Looking very swish indeed
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

CarriageShed

Quote from: DCCDave on December 29, 2013, 11:51:06 PM
Just an update to let you know I'm working on this again. I've done a lot of work on the back end, ensuring that multiple inventories can be held (my stock, my son's stock, my mate's etc.), and that all of the 'reference' data can be applied as software updates (so for example, when a new manufacturer like DJModels comes along I can issue an update with their product range).

That looks very professional, Dave, and also very stylish and clear.  :thumbsup:

I use an Excel spreadsheet, too, which details the loco, price, purchase point and date, etc, but also my upgrade and maintenance notes and dates of completion for individual tasks, so that I can keep track of what I've done (and when things such as wheel cleaning will need to be re-done). This spreadsheet covers all my rolling stock, plus all the extras I'll need, such as track, controllers, paints, books, detailing features, and just about anything else you can think of.

There's probably too much variation there for a dedicated database, sadly.

Exiledtaff

I was about to create a spreadsheet for my (currently) somewhat limited stock when I came across this on my iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/model-train-app-modeltraindb/id524369067?mt=8

Does anybody have any experience or views that I'm sure will be of interest to me?  It looks a bit over-engineered and designed with our colleagues across the Pond in mind, but overall I think it could be a possibility, especially at £3 a pop!

daveg

I'd stick with your spreadsheet for now and put the 3 quid towards something for the layout!

DCCDave has been working on a database for a while and several examples of what he's doing are in this thread.

Dave G

Agrippa

Put your 3 quid towards a pint and record your stock in a poundshop notebook.
No hitches , glitches or software problems , portable and no power needed. :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Exiledtaff

Thanks DaveG, I have decided to do just that, the main reason being to keep a record immediately so that I dont lose the plot along the way as I acquire more stock etc.   :thankyousign:

daveg

Good move!

I'm sure you've got it sorted but just as an example, I have the following as my column headings:

Description      Code   QTY   DCC Ready?   Cost £p   Supplier   Comment   Traffic   Era
                        Y/Compat/No               

I then split it down to Steam, Diesel and Electric and do the same for coaches wagons and accessories. That way i can make sure I only buy multiples of what I really want.

Dave G

trainsdownunder

After your superb screen shots to wet our appetite has the DB progressed at all ?

:thankyousign: in advance

DCCDave

It's been a while so here's an update.

Work has been progressing slowly. Most (75%) of the user interface is written and tested.

I'm planning to offer this as a subscription based web application, your inventory would be held in the cloud with access from a web browser. To that end I need to add security to the system and the ability to keep multiple separate inventories.

I think there is another two to three months before I'm ready to put a test copy up. I'll be looking for a couple of you folks to try it out so as to hammer out any bugs and get feedback and any suggestions for improvements.

In the meantime here are screenshots from the latest version

Cheers
Dave

Newportnobby

Looks very comprehensive, Dave :thumbsup:
No point me being a guinea pig as I know nothing about them there Cloud thingies, so I watched a programme about them on BBC2 tonight :dunce:
Evidently a 20million cu. metre cloud weighs 4 tonnes :o

DCCDave

Quote from: newportnobby on July 16, 2014, 09:54:33 PM
No point me being a guinea pig as I know nothing about them there Cloud thingies, so I watched a programme about them on BBC2 tonight :dunce:
Evidently a 20million cu. metre cloud weighs 4 tonnes :o

That's OK, a few N gauge locos and rolling stock won't make much difference. Add some O gauge stuff to that cloud though and it might start a downpour. :)

Cheers
Dave

port perran

Mick. Sounds like you should join the Cloud Appreciation Society :
http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/ :bounce: :bounce:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

CarriageShed

Quote from: DCCDave on July 16, 2014, 09:27:51 PM
I'm planning to offer this as a subscription based web application, your inventory would be held in the cloud with access from a web browser. To that end I need to add security to the system and the ability to keep multiple separate inventories.

Sorry, Dave. I don't do cloud. I take complete responsibility for my own data, and wouldn't think of relying on anyone else - and certainly not any other system that was out of my control - to do it for me. That's like giving your money to a bank and trusting them to take care of it honestly and responsibly ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations