What Semaphore Signals Do I need?

Started by Artisan, February 13, 2019, 08:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artisan

:helpneededsign:

As a beginner to railway modelling I am at a loss for what signals I will need for the layout I am building. The layout is based on GWR at around 1900. I have attached a simple plan of the track layout. Please could someone recommend what signals I need and where they should be placed.

Best regards
Greg

BR Signalman

Morning Greg

I do not know if the picture will be visible (Cannot get my head round this attaching bit!!) Apologies for the drawing but I think the signals shown fit. The sausages on sticks!, Dapol or other square post 1884 arm lower quadrant, Red stop, Yellow distant (If needed). The red dots, Ground discs. I would actually put another point in the yard to form a headshunt so trains can shunt the yard without having to go out main line.If you put the headshunt in, the disc controlling the yard exit can be yellow rather than red, allows the yard shunting without needing the signalman. At least, there should be a trap point to stop anything in the yard rolling out onto the main line.

If the diagram cannot be seen or you need anything, please PM me and I will try to assist.

Kev

longbow

As Kev says, a headshunt would be more prototypical - shunting moves on the main line are hazardous and disruptive to passing traffic. Given normal signal spacings it's unlikely you would have anything other than the two innermost home signals in view on your layout.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations