Making Decals and needing a new printer

Started by Doc Pye, June 16, 2023, 09:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acook

If you can, design out the white, the brighton uses clear transfers on white background, i.e. reverse the colours and print a block of body colour with transparent lettering.
I think this is how Robbies Rolling Stock transfers work.
Alan

NScaleNotes

Quote from: RBTKraisee on September 27, 2023, 12:20:10 AMJeez, I just found a website out there where one lady got her Ghost White Toner and printer bundle in 2021 for $400. Now, just two years later, their lowest cost bundle is $900!

225% increase in 24 months?   That's totally ridiculous.

Ross.

I know you love the DIY but you could just get these guys to print what you need: https://fsdecals.com/

I'd been planning to get something printed there myself. So not actually used them myself yet but it looks like they have a similar setup to other laser-printer based companies.

Another North American (Canada) option is: https://www.pdc.ca/rr/custom_decals/
I've had some decals printed by Bill in the past and it really is top notch printing.

You'd have to be printing a lot of decals before it became cheaper to buy your own setup plus you still get the work of producing the vector graphics.

njee20

Quote from: RBTKraisee on September 27, 2023, 12:20:10 AMJeez, I just found a website out there where one lady got her Ghost White Toner and printer bundle in 2021 for $400. Now, just two years later, their lowest cost bundle is $900!

225% increase in 24 months?   That's totally ridiculous.

Ross.

They weren't that cheap ordinarily, not even close. Back in 2021 the cheapest they listed that I can see is €599, and I can now see bundles for £699, so yes a fairly large increase, but not on the same scale. Personally for me I wouldn't pay anything approaching that, unless you foresee creating pages and pages of decals. I personally doubt I've printed more than 20 pages in 3 years. I'd be minded to agree with NScaleNotes, outsourcing it is probably just as easy.

Quote from: acook on September 27, 2023, 01:38:08 PMIf you can, design out the white, the brighton uses clear transfers on white background, i.e. reverse the colours and print a block of body colour with transparent lettering.
I think this is how Robbies Rolling Stock transfers work.
Alan

I've never found that particularly satisfactory, but YMMV.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: NScaleNotes on September 27, 2023, 03:12:42 PMYou'd have to be printing a lot of decals before it became cheaper to buy your own setup [compared to having them printed by someone] plus you still get the work of producing the vector graphics.

This is of course very true.

For me it was a case of I wanted to have a go at creating specific decals for a project, and 20 years ago the ALPS Microdry technology printers were the best option for home hobbyists. My Citizen Printiva printer cost me something like £70 from ebay even back then, second-hand (actually from a hospital according to the label that was stuck to it!) As it's not the top-end printer version I have to fool it into printing white by labelling the cartridge as silver (shiny sticky label and insulation tape to create the correct bar-code!) and make sure I use the correct printer driver settings (hence old Windows ME on the pc). Same if I want to use Roland RGB colour cartridges (another brand which used the ALPS tech for a couple of printers).

I don't produce many decals so my gear probably never will pay back the original investment, but when I want something I can design and print in an hour or so.  It's fiddly old tech but it works (for now) and it is very satisfying to create something myself :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations