N gauge society story

Started by 1936ace, March 20, 2014, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all,
I have thought I should maybe do a story with pics for the n gauge journal about my first go at weathering. As a beginner and with the current thought that the mag is being dumbed down for people like me should I send in an article about my journey into this side of the hobby.
Or am I wasting their time?
Bart

daveg

Go for it Bart!

Your recent examples posted here and your upcoming talk on the topic will give you plenty to write about and show.

Look forward to seeing you in print!

Dave G

1936ace

Thanks dave,
Great idea, never thought about incl the exhibition thing. Maybe I could incl it as a two part story.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, like others have said the members need to submit articles so I thought I best not be an armchair member I do my bit as I have enjoyed and learnt so much from the journal and ngs not to mention this site.
Bart

Tdm

Quote from: 1936ace on March 20, 2014, 10:16:01 AM
Hi all,
I have thought I should maybe do a story with pics for the n gauge journal about my first go at weathering. As a beginner and with the current thought that the mag is being dumbed down for people like me should I send in an article about my journey into this side of the hobby.
Bart

Hi Bart,
I write articles for the Stag Owners Club on a fairly regular basis and they are always published in their monthy magazine and I think appreciated. Find out what format is wanted for submitted articles first though, so they can open/view and edit them as necessary.
It is usually a good idea to include photographs as well, as like the saying goes - a picture can post a thousand words.
Go ahead - submit your article.

Bealman

Quote from: 1936ace on March 20, 2014, 10:16:01 AM
Hi all,
Bart

You are not. Submit the article.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Go for it, Bart, and good luck with getting your article in the mag :thumbsup:

Sprintex

Send it in :thumbsup:

The worst you'll get back is probably "please can you elaborate on (whatever)" or "your pictures are not of sufficient clarity/resolution". It is not in their interests to dismiss decent articles out of hand, they are after all reliant on members submitting things so more likely to get helpful encouragement on improving it if necessary rather than harsh criticism ;)

Paul

CarriageShed

Quote from: 1936ace on March 20, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
...like others have said the members need to submit articles so I thought I best not be an armchair member I do my bit as I have enjoyed and learnt so much from the journal and ngs not to mention this site.

I've already submitted one beginner's article myself and am waiting for the new editor to formally take over before I submit another. Richard Bardsley has already signed off in terms of receiving articles, but I would certainly recommend you have a go at it.

free debt man

with the current thought that the mag is being dumbed down

Where does this come from? Graham the new editor of the Society Journal has put on the N Gauge Society website a lot of useful guidelines about items for the Journal; I did not see that bit.

General Secretary N Gauge Society
Stuart Conlon
General Secretary
N Gauge Society

1936ace

Quote from: free debt man on March 20, 2014, 04:05:33 PM
with the current thought that the mag is being dumbed down

Where does this come from? Graham the new editor of the Society Journal has put on the N Gauge Society website a lot of useful guidelines about items for the Journal; I did not see that bit.

General Secretary N Gauge Society
From reading the mail train there has been been plenty of comments re this

Sprintex

Quite right Bart :thumbsup:

I seem to remember quite a few accusations that the NGS journal was catering for the "lowest common denominator" - all this of course was before Grahame took over as editor but was instigated by his original letter ;)

Paul

Bealman

Go for it anyway, Bart. Your weathering techniques should make interesting and informative copy. When I was editor of a local N Gauge newsletter, I know I would appreciate such an article!  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chatty

N Gauge Society Story sounds like a soapie.

Boy meets girl, boy meets N Gauge, the eternal triangle of emotion and love. (sigh)

Sorry Bart, you know this happens when I forget to take my medication.

Kind regards

Geoff

Have you hugged your locomotive today.

Michael Shillabeer

I thought "N Gauge Society Story" was going to be an article about the history of the Society!

A history (maybe done as a timeline) of the Society (and N Gauge) would be interesting for the 50th Anniversary.

Best regards
Michael

ParkeNd

I read the new NGS guidelines for submitting articles for publication in the Journal. In respect of most aspects they seem pretty free and easy. Photograph guidelines are more stringent and this section is bigger than the others - file definition and format are easy enough, and hard copy photos are encouraged even at 4x6 - but lighting requirements specify even lighting across the layout board and advise (quite properly) that flash is unlikely to be suitable.

Even as a photographic hobbyist, looking at my own photos where they are attempts at showing a view across the layout, the even lighting guideline is hard to achieve without auxiliary lights because of the effect of widow light. Maybe reflectors like large sheets of card would help.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations