Detailing the Farish 91

Started by Adam1701D, October 30, 2011, 09:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

I've been doing some work on a couple of GF 91s this week. Both started out as GNER examples with the newer chassis but have had the bodies swapped for Intercity examples. They have been fitted with Dapol high-speed pantographs - although not perfect, they are an improvememnt on the originals. I've also rebuilt the front end skirting and fixed this to the front end. The name and numberplates are home-made on trusty vinyl!

Here's 91003 "The Scotsman"

And 91022 "Robert Adley"

And a line up of my Intercity fleet

There is still some work to do to get the 91s to an acceptable standard - the front end skirts still don't look 100% to me and some end piping and cab interiors would help no end.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Tank

The nameplates look really good.  The colours and DPI look superb!

MJKERR

Quote from: Tank on October 30, 2011, 09:21:52 PMThe nameplates look really good
Although THE SCOTSMAN nameplate looks like it was applied on a Saturday night, sloping to the right

What is the white detail to the left of the Robert Adley nameplate?
Did this really have loco data panel in this location, or is it something else?

red_death

Nice work with the 91s - with a bit of TLC and detailing the Farish electrics can be made to look pretty good.

M

Adam1701D

Many thanks. There's nothing like a digital photograph for picking up little errors like that nameplate on 91003...oh well, peel off and re-stick!  :)

:Class91:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Dr Al

Nice work indeed. Though I'm not a fan of the pantographs - just look waaay overscale to me...

Cheers,
Alan

:Class91:
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Adam1701D

The Dapol pan isn't really overscale but over-length! They have the pantograph starting from the back of the base, rather than the front (if that makes sense), resulting in the whole thing being about 4mm too long.

If you compare it with a photo of a real BW high-speed pan, you'll instantly know what I mean!
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Dr Al

Quote from: captainelectra on October 31, 2011, 10:18:23 PM
The Dapol pan isn't really overscale but over-length! They have the pantograph starting from the back of the base, rather than the front (if that makes sense), resulting in the whole thing being about 4mm too long.

If you compare it with a photo of a real BW high-speed pan, you'll instantly know what I mean!

Yes, it was the arm length I meant. 4mm is a huge amount...

...will steer clear of them!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations