Union Mills T9 chassis dimensions

Started by keithfre, November 11, 2013, 06:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithfre

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the Union Mills T9 chassis? I'm curious whether the body could be replaced with a Worsley Works T9 kit (better still, has anyone tried that already?).

Dorsetmike

I did try the WW T9 and 700, width is the main problem unless you can find some very this profile wheels!

The UM T9 as with all his locos is a solid chunk, the only detachable part is the keeper plate.

If like me you want the narrow cab version  then it's mill or file some off tghe cab sides and splashers, make coupling rod splashers from plastic,

Get  Fleischmann 7161 use the  tender  drive and a Langley S15 kit, use the watercart tender from the S15. You need to add pick ups to the UM loco see my thread at

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17173.msg170438#msg170438

Also purchase a BHE N15 tender kit, build the S15 loco kit on the 7161 chassis,  build the BHE N15 tender  find an old pony truck and fit that to the front of the UM tender drive and hack the N15 tender body .to fit.

There were more S15s with Urie tenders (like the N15 one) than had watercarts. You might also like to do a minor hack to the Langley S15 to make a Maunsell version, different cab roof and foot plate level over cylinders.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

mr bachmann

like Dorsetmike says UM locos are cast from silicone moulds and are one hefty piece of metal , resulting in the body/chassis being one piece . Should you want a body , tender top or wheel set just give them a phone call , Collin is a very understanding guy . Also tenders are sold seperatly - even replacement drive's for Peco Jubilee .

mr bachmann

Dorsetmike

Having said that I do have an ongoing project seriously hacking a UM D20. Itis currently down to footplate level except for cab sides ansd splashers, the intended result is an ex LSWR Adams class X6.

To remove the boiler I have used just about every cutting and abrasive tool I have but mainly cutting discs and burrs in the mini drill.

I'm currently re-wheeling my Adams A12 0-4-2, future plans include a D15 for which I have a Worsley kit and an S11 which will probably be a reboilered UM T9 with another Fleischmann tender drive,luckily the D15s had 6 wheel tenders from around 1925 so I won't need another Fleischmann tender drive!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

keithfre

Thanks for all the advice, folks. Clearly my idea of fitting a more detailed WW body to a UM chassis is a non-starter!

Dorsetmike

Fromwhat I remember of the EE kit, itis also of the wide cab version and not much more detail than UM except for chassis detail, like brake gear, Detail like vac pipes, lamp irons, tender axle boxes and handrails are not included, WW only claim to produce a "scratch aid" not a full kit.

For some things they are great, but others leave a lot to be provided by the builder. The hardest thing with N gauge Loco kits is finding suitable wheels and motorising.

UM tender drives do fit reasonably well in most WW tenders that I have used, however the loss of the weight of the solid UM body reduces pulling power considerably.  filling any gaps between the UM mechanism and a WW body with lead gives some improvement. The heightof the UM mechanism does usually call for a "full load of coal"

Although the UM wheels can be hidden to some extent by outside framing or bogie side frames that is not an option for locos with the Drummond watercart tenders which were inside framed - unless you can find spoked wheels to fit UM axles - with some traction tyres!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations