Your opinion? - DC or DCC (poll)

Started by petercharlesfagg, October 17, 2013, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

With all the talk on locomotive sales now and in the future, what is your opinion concerning locomotive production continuing in DC as opposed to DCC?

Is DCC going to be the ONLY available situation?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

scotsoft

It would probably mean that the locos will be available in DCC ready or with the chip fitted and DCC ready will run on DC just ticketyboo  ;)

cheers John.

port perran

I agree with Scotsoft. I think that will continue for a few years yet!
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dodger

A locomotive that will not run on DC will be of no interest to me!

Dodger

Newportnobby

Could be a pointless debate as the way the energy companies are going we won't able to afford to run either :veryangry:

EtchedPixels

We've gone through

"DCwhat ?"
"DCC hostile"
"DCC wiring points"
"DCC socket"
"DCC pre-fitted option"

but going further rather requires that the supplier can ship a built in decoder everyone wants, which can be trickier, and when it comes to sound gets hard.

I am sure we will eventually reach the point where DCC pre-fitted is the most common choice and then DCC blanking plate becomes the "special order" version. beyond that I'm really not sure.

Alan

Nobby - there's always clockwork or solar powered layouts.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Lawrence

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 17, 2013, 08:03:16 PM
Nobby - there's always clockwork or solar powered layouts.

So that's everyone in Scotland & Wales screwed then  :confused1:

Mr Sprue

Isn't there already a chip that when fitted will either run on DC or DCC? The Peco Collett I have does!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Mr Sprue on October 17, 2013, 08:47:32 PM
Isn't there already a chip that when fitted will either run on DC or DCC? The Peco Collett I have does!

All chips are supposed to but the cheap Bachmann one seems not to support it.

It works with clean DC but not with some of the funky pulse controllers.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Mr Sprue

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 17, 2013, 09:47:20 PM

All chips are supposed to but the cheap Bachmann one seems not to support it.

It works with clean DC but not with some of the funky pulse controllers.

I'm still using Farish Powerbox 0199 controllers with my DC stuff and never get any issues with them, but then again they were made for N Gauge.

Newportnobby

The Peco Collett has a Lenz chip that 'recognises' DC and DCC.
If, at some point in the future, there is a mass switch to DCC (and I don't believe it will happen), I just hope all manufacturers follow Peco's example.

GeeBee

For alternate energy sources many years ago National Semiconductor were experimenting with nuclear powered Ic's they called them fission chips, it made an article in the New Scientist magazine dated 01/04/1983 I worked at TMC at the time we were all quite impressed.

I am going to keep under cover now
Graham   :sorrysign:  :sorrysign: :bounce:  :-[

Bealman

Strikes me as being a bit unfair on the DCers who are inevitably going to have to pay more for a loco which contains something they don't need... the Peco Collet being a case in point... it is expensive.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Sprintex

Quote from: GeeBee on October 18, 2013, 12:09:40 AM
For alternate energy sources many years ago National Semiconductor were experimenting with nuclear powered Ic's they called them fission chips, it made an article in the New Scientist magazine dated 01/04/1983 I worked at TMC at the time we were all quite impressed.

I am going to keep under cover now
Graham   :sorrysign:  :sorrysign: :bounce:  :-[

Nice try, but no-one took the bait ;)

Paul

Bealman

I had a grin but thought it better not to encourage him. :D

Actually not bad, Graham!   :thumbsup:
George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30