Mathieson Models wagons

Started by TalyllynJon, January 12, 2019, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TalyllynJon

Actually selling!. I guess there must be a couple of collectors with deep pockets who're willing to bid mad money for them. Ebay is a bit like that sometimes - I was outbid on a loco last year - I reckoned it was worth about £75 but it sold for well over £100. A couple of days later there was another identical one, but I didn't bother bidding because I thought it would be too expensive - it went for under £50!

Bealman

Sort of reinforces my thoughts that I'm glad I can't work eBay  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Doc Pye

Well I have a few Mathieson models in the stash...might end of selling them.

In the meantime, glad to hear Robbie's Rolling stock is still going. I might order some up!

1936ace

Quote from: TalyllynJon on January 13, 2019, 12:31:56 PM
I've seen the Robbie's Rolling Stock website - but don't know much about them. Has anybody bought any of his wagons and if so, what do you think?
His wagons are absolutely awesome.. well painted and decals are spot on. I can say how great a model they are. I have had robbie make wagons up custom made for family and friends as gifts, he even did a special wedding anniversary wagon for my mum and dad. You cant go wromng with a robbies rolling stock wagon

trkilliman

The Mathieson models on ebay have appearred to be largely from one seller. They've been putting them on ebay for a couple of years now with a timely (and clever) gap between advertisements. They must have a fair old stash of them or maybe, just maybe, somebody now has the rights to further produce them?

I think I read a while back that approaches had been made to the owner of Mathieson production rights, but they didn't want to sell. Perhaps something has changed here, accounting for their ongoing periodic appearance on ebay?

What an addition they could potentially make to the NGS stable of wagons.

I don't own any of them, but have to say they do look cracking models in their variety of P.O. logos.

Paul D

The Wagon Yard - https://thewagonyard.co.uk/ has a few Mathieson wagons in stock of the Welsh variety.

TalyllynJon

I check their website regularly - they often have interesting items. Think I've already got all of their South Wales stock.

surfaceman

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 15, 2020, 11:27:21 PM
Quote from: TalyllynJon on January 15, 2020, 11:21:30 PM
There seems to a bunch of them turning up on eBay at the moment, but they seem to be selling for about £30 each which is mad! What's going on?

Are they actually selling at that price or just listed but going round and round without selling? If selling then it just indicates the perceived rarity/desirability I guess.

They are actually selling at that price ... I sold 10 recently and was amazed at the bids I got!

Alex

TalyllynJon

There's a Mathieson Models Gurnos wagon on eBay - 1 day to go and the bidding is already up to £65!!!!!!! For a small, N gauge, open wagon! WTF?! (that's nearly as much as new Graham Farish prices!!!)

PLD

Quote from: TalyllynJon on March 02, 2020, 10:17:21 AM
There's a Mathieson Models Gurnos wagon on eBay - 1 day to go and the bidding is already up to £65!!!!!!! For a small, N gauge, open wagon! WTF?! (that's nearly as much as new Graham Farish prices!!!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/392704461066?item=392704461066&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Just two bidders who obviously REALLY want that particular livery... (which is one I've not seen before so perhaps a rarity explaining the desire)

Remember at auction, the 'value' of an item is slightly more than the second richest/daftest/most desperate bidder is willing to pay...

Fardap

Same Ebay seller has a fair number listed at Buy It Now £16 which would seem a bargain compared to £30 or +£60!!!!

PLD

Quote from: Fardap on March 02, 2020, 01:51:37 PM
Same Ebay seller has a fair number listed at Buy It Now £16 which would seem a bargain compared to £30 or +£60!!!!
hardly the sellers fault that one person is willing to pay £63 for that particular livery and another is willing to pay even more!

Do bear in mind that some Mathieson liveries are extremely rare - as few as 25 made vs IIRC 250 for the most common. I've never seen this one before so guessing it is one of the rarest, and hence the price differential to other listings

Fardap

Quote from: PLD on March 02, 2020, 05:29:36 PM
Quote from: Fardap on March 02, 2020, 01:51:37 PM
hardly the sellers fault that one person is willing to pay £63 for that particular livery and another is willing to pay even more!

Do bear in mind that some Mathieson liveries are extremely rare - as few as 25 made vs IIRC 250 for the most common. I've never seen this one before so guessing it is one of the rarest, and hence the price differential to other listings

Oh I wasn't laying blame just thought the £16 buys were bargains compared to the massive £60+ that as you rightly say is market forces and what someone is willing to pay.

They look nice models but not sure I would go £16 for one either, but then haven't seen one in the flesh either.

Doc Pye

Those are crazy prices for a little wagon...but hey, if you want it then you want it!

I will dig out my collection of Mathieson wagons next time I am back in the US (where they are stored). Time to cash in! ;)

One question, why did Mathieson stop producing???

jpendle

Quote from: Doc Pye on March 03, 2020, 09:59:47 AM
One question, why did Mathieson stop producing???

Because they realised that by stopping production and creating rare items they could make a killing on Ebay  :D

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations