For those amongst us who remember:- "When I was a boy"!

Started by petercharlesfagg, November 09, 2014, 12:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

They had suction blackhead removers too on the same page... yurgh!  :sick2:

cwh

I grew up in Luton and was interested in railways at an early age - the only toy train I had was a clockwork
  4-4-0 green engine I can't remember the make but I'm pretty sure it was not Hornby - I was very envious of several of my friends who had electric train sets - why was I envious? because we did not have mains electricity in our house - everything was gas - we eventually were connected to electric but I can't remember the date- imagine the excitement when we had our first tele and an  electric record player  - I also remember playing  in the Air Raid shelter in the garden - when we had air raid warnings which were fairly frequent in Luton my granddad always refused to use the shelter - he said he preferred to stay in bed and hope for the best!!!!  - interesting memories

Malc

There were adverts for Hawkins Bazaar where you could get all sorts of interesting gizmos for pocket money prices. Imagine my surprise when I went to Chester last year and found that it was still going!
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

We're not talking that page in DC comics anymore, then? I was quite enjoyin' that!

Malc

Quote from: Bealman on November 15, 2014, 10:53:25 AM
We're not talking that page in DC comics anymore, then? I was quite enjoyin' that!
So you did buy the x-Ray specs then?  :D
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Dorsetmike

As a four year old, Xmas 1938 a Hornby clockwork 0-4-0T in Southern Maunsell green with a load of goods wagons, followed the next year by Hornby electric (20VAC) Flying Scotsman and 2 coaches (except it had a 4-4-2 chassis as did the Hornby SR Lord Nelson and some others) Also during the war years I got quite a bit of Meccano.

Trainspotting started when I started Grammar school, we used to go on an earlier bus than necesary to sit on a wall just east of Poole Highstreet crossing to watch the 8.16 (7.30 ex Weymouth) on its way to Waterloo, usually a Nelson or Arthur, occasionally a Schools, often squashing coins as it progressed, from 1945 my classroom was on the south side of the school looking out over the4 school sports field to the line a few hundred yards further east, I had a window seat and an Ian Alan ABC in my desk. I also used to travel from Bournemouth West to Waterloo and then on the tube on my own from about age 9 or 10 to visit relatives, from age 11 when visiting there I would be given a few bob each day and armed with Ian Alan ABCs would go to the main line termini. Can you imagine parents these days allowing that?

Fishing was both river in the Dorset Stour, and sea in Poole harbour. I still have a couple of rods from those years inherited from my father (in dire need of restoration!)

Many nights during the war years spent in an air raid shelter buried at the end of the back garden with parents and neighbours from 6 surrounding bungalows - all the dads got together and dug this huge hole then built up brick walls, steps down and a reinforced concrete roof.

After the war dad built a greenhouse on top and used the shelter to store pots and other gardening bits.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

joe cassidy

Quote from: Malc on November 15, 2014, 10:33:00 AM
There were adverts for Hawkins Bazaar where you could get all sorts of interesting gizmos for pocket money prices. Imagine my surprise when I went to Chester last year and found that it was still going!

I remember the adverts in 'Victor' etc. for the Bridgenorth Stamp Company, who would send you postage stamps "on approval" - you kept those you wanted and returned the rest with a postal order for those you kept.

I wonder whether the Bridgenorth Stamp Co. has survived into the Internet era ?

Best regards,

Joe

talisman56

Quote from: joe cassidy on November 15, 2014, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: Malc on November 15, 2014, 10:33:00 AM

I remember the adverts in 'Victor' etc. for the Bridgenorth Stamp Company, who would send you postage stamps "on approval" - you kept those you wanted and returned the rest with a postal order for those you kept.

I wonder whether the Bridgenorth Stamp Co. has survived into the Internet era ?

Best regards,

Joe

Unfortunately not...

https://www.duedil.com/company/00554848/bridgnorth-stamp-company-limited
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

longbridge

I suppose another thing I remember when I was a boy was my Dad buying me the Eagle Comic, I always used to look forward to reading Dan Dare and the Mekon that little bloke that used to float around on that thing that looked like half an Easter Egg, I wanted the Dandy or the Beano but no it had to be the Eagle  ???
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Agrippa

I liked the Eagle,Dan Dare (Pilot of the future) was always fighting the Treens,
led by the Mekon who you mentioned, with a head like a big green light bulb.
The centre of the Eagle usually had a large cutaway drawing of a technical nature
showing a plane or ship,can't remember if there were locos.

I also remember the mail order ads , usually in the Saturday newspapers selling
new unissued officers' greatcoats and 8 x 20 binoculars.Also the ads in the comics
for black face soap, stink bombs and wallets which made money disappear.

And don't forget John Bull printing outfits !
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

I liked the Eagle too. In fact I have an Eagle annual with awesome technical data on the Dan Dare space fleet equipment.

And Geez, I had a John Bull printing outfit! I'd totally forgotten about that, and I'm starting to think I hate this thread....  :D ;)

longbridge

With the exception of my Hornby set my most valuable and favourite item was my Fag Card collection, its amazing how some of the information tha I read on the back of Fag Cards helped me in later life.

Do any of you lads still have Fag Cards ?.

My other treasures were my Marbles, home made Bow and Arrow and Conkers it didnt take much to amuse me in those wonderful days, I would not trade my childhood for anything.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

Yeah... it always pays to look after your marbles.... and yer conkers, for that matter  :D

longbridge

Quote from: Bealman on November 16, 2014, 08:42:45 AM
Yeah... it always pays to look after your marbles.... and yer conkers, for that matter  :D

:searchingsign:   :smiley-laughing:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations