VPN - who uses one?

Started by dannyboy, February 26, 2019, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

There were a couple of programmes on BBC that my recorder failed to record last week. I thought I would log into the BBC iplayer to watch them. I can not do that as the BBC knows I am not in the UK  :(. I have read about circumventing this problem by using a VPN. Doing a search, some get good write ups, others don't. And a lot of them have a free trial but then have to be paid for. Does anyone use a VPN to get round the restrictions and any recommendations or knowledge to share?   :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

MarshLane

I have used the Avast VPN service which appeared to work ok with iPlayer in the past - that had a 30 day free trial and worked fine for me.  I only needed it as I was out of the country for three weeks, so didnt continue the paid version as I was back home!  But it worked well when I had it - I think you can configure it to give you an IP address for a specific country or region, but I'm not totally sure.  When I used it, it just came up as London.

Rich

Bealman

Yeah, obviously I can't use the BBC thingy living where I do. The good people of this forum have suggested this VPN stuff to me in the past, but it's yet more computer stuff to addle my poor brain cell, so I haven't bothered with it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

I've used Tunnel Bear (among others) when out of the UK, works alright, IIRC you get a 1GB allowance.

AJP

I use Windscribe, 2 Gb  free per month, and every now and then there are offers, like the last one a years subscription for 12 Euros (which I jumped at), unlimited and umpteen different connections around the world if you go pro.

EtchedPixels

There's an ongoing battle between the VPN providers and the BBC. So the BBC keeps blocking them and they keep moving.

Going the other way the cheapest approach I've found for getting a US address is actually a cheap crappy 'virtual machine' from on of the low end providers and run my own VPN to that.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

dannyboy

I tried Avast last night before I posted my question. Me and Avast do not seem to get on, I had problems a year ago so deleted the anti-virus programme. The Avast VPN last night just locked up and I got the 'Not responding' message, which stayed on screen until I switched off ! >:( . I have just installed Tunnel Bear, (thanks @njee20 ), but when I went on to the iplayer site, the BBC know I am using a VPN so will not let me access any programmes, (as @EtchedPixels suggested). Will have to do without the missing programmes.   :'(  :thankyousign: for the suggestions.

Just had a thought - will see, tomorrow, if there is anything on youtube .
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Adam1701D

I use Cyberghost VPN to keep my connection secure.

You probably won't be able to view BBC, Netflix, etc from another country, as the providers have a list of the VPN server addresses and keep blocking them.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

EtchedPixels

Tried PureVPN ? They have  a very large pool of changing addresses all over the world ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Railwaygun

PIA VPN ( private internet access) works well on iPhone and pc/ Mac

Better than cyber ghost and faster
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Fardap

Quote from: njee20 on February 26, 2019, 09:08:00 PM
I've used Tunnel Bear (among others) when out of the UK, works alright, IIRC you get a 1GB allowance.

I used this for the years I was living in France, really easy to use and worked perfectly, just tweet about them and they bung another GB onto your account.

Delboy

Quote from: Railwaygun on February 27, 2019, 12:29:03 PM
PIA VPN ( private internet access) works well on iPhone and pc/ Mac

Better than cyber ghost and faster
I also use PIA. Works out at less than £3 per month if my memory serves me correctly. I have never experienced any problem with it to date.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Chetcombe

I use OverPlay which works well. You have the option of using it as a web based app which avoids the need to download any software.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations