Pipe/tube wagons

Started by Newportnobby, January 15, 2020, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belstone

Those Peco wagons are getting on for fifty years old now but still have their place: nice crisp body mouldings, close coupled, free running and a good bit cheaper than the superdetailed Farish equivalents.  The 15 foot wagons came first, I think in 1968.  I believe they were originally designed by British Trix but Peco did a swap for the Mk1 coaches they had been working on.  Hence the hard nylon wheels which was a feature of Trix wagons at the time.  The grain wagon was a half-size version of the Trix OO gauge one and had a very accurate chassis with correct springs, brake gear etc:  all the other 15 foot models except the brake van had their dimensions butchered to fit the grain wagon chassis. The tube wagon is as others have said based on a Ferry Tube (rare beast in itself), but a bit shorter than it should be.  The underframe detail on the Peco model is a lot closer to a Ferry Tube than a standard Long Tube which is probably why Peco chose it.  The 10 foot wagons are a bit closer to scale although the 7 plank and mineral wagons should really be on 9 foot chassis and the cattle van only takes Dexter cattle due to being two feet shorter than it should be.

For my 30-35 wagon trains on "Stobs" I will mainly be using Peco 10 footers, either complete wagons or underframes with NGS kit bodies.  I don't think I could afford a train of that length using Farish models, nice though they are.

Richard

Newportnobby

Quote from: belstone on January 23, 2020, 01:54:10 PM

For my 30-35 wagon trains on "Stobs" I will mainly be using Peco 10 footers, either complete wagons or underframes with NGS kit bodies.  I don't think I could afford a train of that length using Farish models, nice though they are.

Nor me, but I'm just 'padding out' a pick up goods

Newportnobby

After some uncharacteristically slow service from Rails I finally have the wagons mentioned above.
Both look excellent, with the Peco weathered one looking suitably grimy - enough for me to think I could get away with it on my era 5 layout.................

Damn the camera - shows my track needs a clean :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations