What am I doing wrong?

Started by Newportnobby, August 17, 2020, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Or what have I buggered up?
I no slouch when it comes to typing but lately I've been pounding away on the jolly old keyboard, glance up at the screen and find I'm typing half way into what I'd already typed ???
It's almost as if there's a certain limit to the characters I can type and then it goes back halfway and starts again.

N_GaugeModeller

Are you sure your not accidentally hitting the home key or something similar ?

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

port perran

What device are you using Mick ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

jpendle

What program(s) are you having the problems with?

Is it this forum, or a Word doc, or an email client, or something else?

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Newportnobby

I use a Toshiba laptop. The problem occurs in any form of typing e.g. forum posts, e mails, Word etc
I think Paul has it right and that when I hit the backspace key to correct a typo I'm clipping the Insert key which is just above it. I'll try to avoid that and see how I get on.
Thanks all.

NScaleNotes

Just in case it doesn't fix it. I've had a similar problem on an Acer laptop that took me forever to diagnose, I thought I was going mad when the cursor would move around unexpectedly.

It turned out the OS had taken it upon itself to assign the wrong keyboard layout to the keyboard (if I remember correctly, it was after some system updates) and because some of keys on a laptop have a double use, certain key presses were actually moving the cursor around.
I use Linux but I imagine something similar could happen on Windows too.

If you want a quick way to test without delving into the system settings, attach a normal usb keyboard and use that instead of the built-in keyboard and see if you still have the same problem. Once you've established that it is related to the keyboard mapping then maybe one of the Windows users here can help you work out how to change the keyboard settings.

Simon

Newportnobby

Still something very wrong. Example - I just this minute typed the word 'wrong' and immediately the cursor went back to between the 'w' and the 'r'. Just breathing while using the mousepad on my laptop highlights everything as if I was going to cut/paste it all.
I don't have a separate keyboard I can test so maybe the laptop needs someone to look at it. I'll ask a chap at North West Computers to see if he has any ideas.

N_GaugeModeller

It might be worth looking at the trackpad setting, perhaps touch settings have somehow been set too light.  don't suppose you have a mouse you could plug in and check how things are with the trackpad turned off.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Jim Easterbrook

Touching the trackpad as you type would be my diagnosis. Is there a setting to automatically disable the trackpad whilst typing? I think I've seen such a setting on Linux machines but I know nothing of other OSes.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

The Q

I've had the same problem but on an android based machine. the only cure I've found is save the data, and reboot the computer..

Newportnobby

I have nothing I can plug in to test anything, but am thinking maybe the 'left click' key is sticking intermittently. That would explain away the 'highlighting' issue when using the mousepad. It's also the key that gets the most use :hmmm:
I'll investigate the mousepad function as well.

Bealman

A new mouse costs nowt these days.

Cleaning the trap afterwards is a PITA though  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

I've also noticed the RHS slide bar sometimes heads for the bottom of the screen instead of just edging down as I want it to, another sign the left click key is sticking :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations