NGF forum v NGF facebook !

Started by Mr Sprue, April 19, 2022, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moria

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2022, 09:36:18 AM
Thanks so much for your kind words everyone.  I hate reading negative posts, but more importantly, I listen and want to improve the forum.  I'm yet to hear back from those above with any actual threads/posts/members, so I can look into it.

I don't really understand the hardship with the photo's.  There is a quick and easy way, with 4 clicks to get an image in a post.  Or, a slightly longer way if you want to store them in an album of your own.  Facebook doesn't do this through the Groups (unless you're sharing from your personal profile.

Anyway, here is the page with the tutorial - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33436.0

To be honest, Mines even simpler... 

1)  Upload to Imagur
2)  Select the "linked BB code" option
3)  paste into post.

Job done.

Graham
It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done.

Currently packing all my model railway stuff for my move to Canada in April when a whole new chapter starts in Modelling.

Bigmac

the only thread i recall being deleted entirely was the "ebay madness" thread. I asked a moderator why--and got answered. His decision--fair enough.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Bigmac

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2022, 09:36:18 AM
Thanks so much for your kind words everyone.  I hate reading negative posts, but more importantly, I listen and want to improve the forum.  I'm yet to hear back from those above with any actual threads/posts/members, so I can look into it.

I don't really understand the hardship with the photo's.  There is a quick and easy way, with 4 clicks to get an image in a post.  Or, a slightly longer way if you want to store them in an album of your own.  Facebook doesn't do this through the Groups (unless you're sharing from your personal profile.

Anyway, here is the page with the tutorial - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33436.0

why cant i just copy paste photos ?--so easy--i can do this with every other forum i am on.

Papyrus

I don't use Faceache, so I can't comment on whether it is easier to use or not, but I am perfectly happy with this 'ere Forum and the way it is run. Of course, sometimes decisions are made regarding moving or locking threads which I don't necessarily agree with or see the point of, but it's not my decision to make and I'm happy to let the mods do their stuff as they see fit. I've been a member for over 8 years, and there have been times when the Forum has 'gone slack' and there has been a shortage of posts that I wanted to read. That's fair enough - the subjects of the day are constantly changing; sometimes there is less of interest, but it always picks up again when there is a new layout to read about, or model introduced. Oh yes, and photos... They're a bit of a faff to load but once you get the hang of it it's quite easy!

Cheers,

Chris

Bob G

Quote from: Bigmac on April 20, 2022, 10:09:14 AM
the only thread i recall being deleted entirely was the "ebay madness" thread. I asked a moderator why--and got answered. His decision--fair enough.

Has it been deleted? Gosh, I must have missed it  :laugh3:

thebrighton

I honestly can't fathom why people have so much trouble uploading photos to the forum and adding them to posts, it is very easy, far easier than other forums I am on and just as easy as Facebook. It also means I can store the photos here rather than elsewhere.
As for Facebook versus the forum there is no comparison. If I want to refer back to something here it is relatively easy to find whereas there's a fair chance if you saw something of interest on Facebook this morning you wouldn't be able to track it down in the afternoon even if it was on the forums Facebook page as Facebook is very selective about what it lets you see.
A post here is for life, a post on Facebook is lost to the ether in hours.
I also see far more questionable posts on the Facebook page than here as that is the nature of social media.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: thebrighton on April 20, 2022, 11:11:37 AM
I honestly can't fathom why people have so much trouble uploading photos to the forum and adding them to posts, it is very easy...

Yup, works fine for me, using the method as documented above.   I'd say 95% of the photos I upload go to my personal gallery rather than Random Photos so that I can find and re-embed them again when needed.  If it's just something to help out someone else on one occasion then it goes in Random photos.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: exmouthcraig on April 19, 2022, 08:47:22 PM
the constant bombardment of threads and topics by individuals who clearly see themselves as superior knowledge on EVERY TOPIC and obviously have ideas of grandeur in becoming a mod.

Eh? ???
Could some kind soul enlighten me what grandeur there is in being a Mod? I don't get discount anywhere :no: ;) I see no queue of volunteers to become a Mod such that @Tank has his choice rather than be stuck with the likes of me. We are only human and, if a post is moved, it's generally because it's a better fit elsewhere within the forum in our opinion only. If you have a beef and want it moved back then just PM one of us and we'll look at doing so.

chrism

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 20, 2022, 12:01:05 PM
Could some kind soul enlighten me what grandeur there is in being a Mod?

You get to ride a Lambretta fitted with an excess of of mirrors, whilst wearing a green parka with a target sewn on the back   :smiley-laughing:

joe cassidy

In my opinion the rank and file of the forum should be allowed to have some say in the appointment of the moderators.

Chris Morris

Quote from: joe cassidy on April 20, 2022, 12:50:58 PM
In my opinion the rank and file of the forum should be allowed to have some say in the appointment of the moderators.

I have to disagree. Somebody has invested a huge amount of time over many years to get the forum where it is today. I'm sure there has been a financial cost as well. Moderating a forum can be difficult at times and can also be time consuming. The forum creator and owner must, in my view, have moderators who have largely similar views to his own. When mods start to disagree a forum goes belly up very quickly indeed. G Scale  Central was one such forum. I know because I was there.

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone who doesn't like the way this forum is run setting up their own forum. So if you are not happy, I say start your own rather than moan.

Please note I am not and do not have any relationship with the owner or any more of this forum. Just a happy and grateful user.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

BramptonBranch

Quote from: chrism on April 20, 2022, 12:44:35 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on April 20, 2022, 12:01:05 PM
Could some kind soul enlighten me what grandeur there is in being a Mod?

You get to ride a Lambretta fitted with an excess of of mirrors, whilst wearing a green parka with a target sewn on the back   :smiley-laughing:

Riding said Lambretta to a model railway show would be heaven, not sure about the target though.....

Would prefer the GP200 in the old John Player (cigarette) livery of black with gold lining please.Bit expensive are scooters mind, bit like model railways!

Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

Steven B

Adding a photo takes a click or two more than other Forums but isn't too bad. I dislike some of the forum structure. The A-Z listing within the "Knowledge Bank" section annoys me in particular. What counts as "knowledge"?

Should a hint about laying Peco track go under "P" or "T"?

Likewise, if I'm detailing a Graham Farish OBA wagon should it go under "D", "G", "F", "O" or "W"?

Surely much of the content in "N Gauge Tutorials" could go in the "Knowledge Bank" section? Rather than A, B C listings a better layout might be "Track", "locos", "Rolling stock" - less chance of threads ending up in a wrong location and needing moderator effort to re-locate it.

Then there's the never ending saga of the "Kato Unitrack - Hints and Tips " thread where most Kato track related questions end up getting asked, only to be lost within the thread as it develops.

I also wonder about donations to the forum funds - are accounts ever produced to assure us that money donated is not just ending up feeding Tank's NSE habit? (not that I'm suggesting in the slightest that anything like this is happening!)

Steven B.

Markthetog

I read both the Forum and Facebook page regularly, FB generally on my Phone when I just have a few mins to glance through things and the Forum when I'm settled down at the Laptop for a good read through threads. Both have their place (in my opinion) and their own merits. It ain't broke, please don't fix it!

Bigmac

ive just tried adding a photo following the post  earlier in this thread.

dunno where it is.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations