'Seafire' flies again

Started by Newportnobby, April 06, 2022, 09:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

That's a thing of beauty.....

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bob G

Absolutely fantastic. Just a brilliant job of restoration.

I remember the Navy air shows at HMS Daedalus at Lee-on-Solent when we used to see Swordfish, Firefly and Sea Fury flying together in  the 1970s.

One of my cousins died when his sea fury engine failed and the plane just fell into the ocean.
But it did not matter so much in those days. I had five other cousins!

Bob

daffy

Thanks for posting this Mick. A superb restoration of a magnificent aircraft.

Further details, including short history of '105' here:

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/supermarine-seafire-f-mk-xvii-sx336-takes-to-the-skies-again.html

(other webpages are available) :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

What a beautiful aircraft.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on April 06, 2022, 10:46:55 PM
One of my cousins died when his sea fury engine failed and the plane just fell into the ocean.

Bob

Oh. That's alright then. He was expendable :worried:

geoffc

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 06, 2022, 09:40:30 PM
I know we have some plane mad folks on the forum so....................

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/pictured-seafire-seaplane-flies-again-171628780.html

Typical media reporting by somebody who cant get the facts right,  this aircraft was flying some 16 years ago and took part in the Air Show at Yeovilton in 2008. So the flight referred to in the quote is not the first since it came out of the scrap yard
Geoff

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 07, 2022, 09:31:14 AM
Quote from: Bob G on April 06, 2022, 10:46:55 PM

Bob

Oh. That's alright then. He was expendable :worried:

It was the fifties. Planes did used to fall out of the sky more frequently than they do now.
We didn't have the legal drivers or deep emotional need we have now to find someone to take the blame, like the designer or the maintenance team then.
we simply accepted it and said "He died doing what he loved. Flying."

I have to say that I really hate the blame culture we have these days.
Perhaps if we just accepted that people don't have an explicit right to live for 90+ years, we wouldn't mind so much losing the occasional family member. Like in the "good old days".

I know this is not a conventional view, but we all have a limited time on the planet. And when it is up, it is up. Accidents do happen.

Bob

Dorsetmike

Another Naval air relic. Swordfish torpedo bomber AKA Stringbag, at an RNAS Culdrose airshow in the 1990s

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Steven B

Quote from: geoffc on April 07, 2022, 10:08:50 AM
Typical media reporting by somebody who cant get the facts right,  this aircraft was flying some 16 years ago and took part in the Air Show at Yeovilton in 2008. So the flight referred to in the quote is not the first since it came out of the scrap yard
Geoff

To be fair, the report doesn't explicitly say it's never flown before since it left the scrap yard. A quick read could give that impression though

I saw it start-up, taxi and take off at IWM Duxford in 2011 - it's a thing of beauty. The Griffon engine sounds different compared to a standard Merlin.

Steven B.

Buzzard

Quote from: geoffc on April 07, 2022, 10:08:50 AMTypical media reporting by somebody who cant get the facts right

Agreed.  It's been flying out of Yeovilton for at least a month.  Also no mention of the wheels up landing in France in 2011.

About a fortnight ago it did circuits over me for about 15 minutes.  Odd to see a Spitfire shape but not hear a Merlin engine.

Some proper information can be found here

https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Registration/G-KASX/855891

Great West(Midlands) Rail

Can confirm with this my own photo taken from the Wardroom enclosure at the Yeovilton Air Day that it flew in 2015 as well

Thank You & Kind Regards

Christopher

GAD

Nice to see a Griffon engined Spit' in the air. They gave the kamikazes a shock when the British Pacific fleet joined the war against Japan, that and the steel decks of outr carriers!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations