liquid plastic

Started by guest311, February 01, 2022, 02:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

I have for some weeks been trying to glaze the slots on some of these

for my 20mm wargames forces, but I have a massive failure rate for trying to cut / fit clear plastic into the slots in the 'wings'..............
then I had a  :idea:

I am sure I heard about a liquid clear plastic that could be used to glaze windows etc ...

but  :-[

I can't for the life of me think what it was called...

any suggestions ?

crewearpley40

Alan https://www.mbfg.co.uk/easyflo_clear.html  better stuff as calnefoxile suggests glue n glaze https://cm3models.co.uk/glue-n-glaze-50ml-3723-p.asp  and gsugemaster sells 7. 75 a bottle . Or direct https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/glue-n-glaze

guest311

wish I'd surrendered earlier and asked before  :-[

many thanks to you both  :thumbsup:

crewearpley40

I brought mine from deluxe surprisingly online. They sent it well protected via royal mail ,week later arrrived.

guest311

hopefully not a week later, quoted 'Express' delivery, which with VAT and postage doubled the price.

still, saves me having to keep cutting up trays from grapes, strawberries etc, and trying to glue them into place.

so my Pigs, Saxons and Saracens should hopefully soon have their 'wings' glazed and ready to deploy.

ntpntpntp

I think there are a few "glazing liquid" products out there.   I use Microscale Kristal Klear.   Glue'n'Glaze is another as has been suggested. 

They seem to be based around a PVA which you apply by wiping round the inside of the window frame with a cocktail stick then draw into the middle to create a film which dries clear. 
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Gordon

Quote from: class37025 on February 01, 2022, 02:23:49 PM
I have for some weeks been trying to glaze the slots on some of these

I am sure I heard about a liquid clear plastic that could be used to glaze windows etc ...
I can't for the life of me think what it was called...
any suggestions ?

Most people (including me) use either 'Krystal Kleer' aka Krystal clear, or the more recent 'Glue n' Glaze.

However, you can create the same effect yourself.

Krystal clear is essentially just PVA glue, watered down enough so that it dries transparent. As such you can do it yourself by just getting some PVA and diluting it.

Unusually (the opposite to the norm)  this means that it is better to buy the 'cheap and cheerful' brand than the 'pukka' brand, as cheap and cheerful (eg basic 'school' pva) is a diluted solution as it is obviously cheaper to produce.

Furthermore, if you do it yourself, you can vary the thickness of your diluted pva - this allows you to glaze openings slightly opaque, if that suits the situation you have.
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

ntpntpntp

@Gordon's post just reminded me, I have some cheap clear craft PVA bought from "The Works" shop.   

I'm trying a rough test right now. The usual technique for applying the stuff certainly works ok and it's created a film over the window hole, so we'll see how well it dries.  Unfortunately I was in a hurry to get back to work so I made the mistake of shaking rather than stirring and there may be a few tiny bubbles in the result but we'll see..  If it looks promising I'll try again without the bubbles :D

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

guest311

many  :thankyousign: s for the PVA hints.
I have ordered a bottle of glue n glaze, but I am sure this will be useful for attaching either model a/c windows or canopies, as opposed to glue, so won't be wasted.
was a bit miffed that the postage and VAT virtually doubled the cost of the bottle  :censored:
just hope I am not now at risk of being accused of contributing to 'works events' by the Met  :-[

did any one else notice that on the TV news last night C D  passed the buck to a subordinate to explain what was going on about yet another Met scandal, normally she'd be taking the cheque for the tv appearance fee every time...

mind you, it has always be said that the Met Police is the best force money can buy  >:D

guest311

the Glue 'n Glaze arrived yesterday, and as previously I considered it when ordered just as one item quite expensive, mainly due to the p&p.

that aside, I sacrificed a spare 'wing' to trial how it went.

set aside and dried clear, so pretty well what I needed, so started on the wings for a number of vehicles...

results were, to be honest, mixed  :hmmm:

most likely due to my inexperience of this stuff  :-[
I used the same method as on the trial, ie a thin initial 'coat', and when dried / clear a second coat on the inside to reinforce it.

several of the batch ended up drying with still some areas not clear, even after being left to dry overnight.

for my requirement, to glaze the acrylic panels in the 'wings' of flying pigs, Saracens and Saxons this was not a disaster, as they show in photos to have been very often either discoloured or in other ways not 'clear', so not a disaster for my use, but if used with this result to glaze windows or screens on a 'decent' model loco or rolling stock, or building, I would have been disappointed.

I have yet to try this out to glue clear canopies to a couple of 1/72 Hunters, so I'll wait to see how that goes.

certainly, next time I'm at the Works, I'll be getting a bottle of their PVA as suggested, 80p for parking, and on the way back a visit to Greggs which will earn brownie points with SWMBO. :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations