The every day disaster movie which is Japan

Started by railsquid, February 26, 2021, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Oh gawd - that's twice in two days I've misinterpreted squiddy.

I swear this lockdown is getting to me  :laugh3:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

The approaching typhoon reminded me of this sign I saw recently:

As so often the English translation is lacking in detail, but this is the predicted flood depth if the nearby river (one of the two major ones in the Tokyo area) overflows its dykes.

Helpfully the 3.5 metre level is marked by a red band:

(For anyone struggling with metric, 3.5 metres is almost exactly the same height as two Railsquids stacked vertically).

stevewalker

I see that helpfully, there is a step positioned at the red band, allowing you to keep just out of the water!

railsquid

Meanwhile, if you are wandering about anywhere vaguely near the coast, you are never far from a helpful sign telling you exactly how far above sea level you are:

Jim Easterbrook

I assume Japanese people are reasonably aware of what to do in an emergency. Meanwhile, here in the UK, drivers approaching a flooded road, with the roof of a car poking up above the water level, will still insist on driving into it to show that their car can't drive under water either.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Bealman

railsquid

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on July 26, 2021, 06:53:52 PM
I assume Japanese people are reasonably aware of what to do in an emergency.

"Reasonably" is the right word. Seems every time there's heavy rain and flooding, some idiot has to go and check out the local river etc. and quickly becomes a missing, then a very ex-idiot.

Here is someone who (in March 2011), having decided to check out the unusual sight of a tsunami flowing up the local river, has a bit of an oh  :censored: moment:

Do note how few minutes elapse between "first tendrils of mud" and "complete disaster".

Meanwhile, from the Squidlet's school we have, for completion over the summer holidays, a booklet in which we're supposed to draw up a "family disaster plan" for dealing with typhoons and flooding (but for some reason not earthquakes). Seems to involve drawing up a complex set of flowcharts along the lines of "if family member X is in place Y in situation Z, do Thing A".

Bealman

Amazing but scary footage. I know that siren scared the crap out of me - I thought it was the camera guy screaming!

Regarding Squidlet's homework assignment, at least you have the whole school holidays to think of "Plan B"  :D

TrevL

Quote from: railsquid on July 27, 2021, 05:21:52 AM

"Reasonably" is the right word. Seems every time there's heavy rain and flooding, some idiot has to go and check out the local river etc. and quickly becomes a missing, then a very ex-idiot.

Here is someone who (in March 2011), having decided to check out the unusual sight of a tsunami flowing up the local river, has a bit of an oh  :censored: moment:

Do note how few minutes elapse between "first tendrils of mud" and "complete disaster".

Meanwhile, from the Squidlet's school we have, for completion over the summer holidays, a booklet in which we're supposed to draw up a "family disaster plan" for dealing with typhoons and flooding (but for some reason not earthquakes). Seems to involve drawing up a complex set of flowcharts along the lines of "if family member X is in place Y in situation Z, do Thing A".

I think I've watched a youtube vid of that exact location, but taken from the building in the top left at 3'53". Scary stuff!
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

LASteve

I can help. Here is California's Silicon Valley survival algorithm:

if (natural_disaster) then
   get(under, desk)
   do while (natural_disaster_still_continues)
        shelter(in_place, blame_everybody_else)
   end
   if (still_alive=TRUE) then
      panic_buy (pasta, canned soup, tomatoes)
      blame (everyone_else)
      check (hair, makeup, nails)
   else
     file_lawsuit(while_dead)
   end
else
   do until (next_natural_disaster)
       continue (vacuous, yoga, Peleton, new_sushi_joint, Ferrari, next_food_fad)
   end
end

TrevL

@LASteve .  I see you haven't fully intergrated into Californian society  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

LASteve

Quote from: TrevL on July 27, 2021, 07:06:45 AM
@LASteve .  I see you haven't fully intergrated into Californian society  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
I'm bi-cultural, and hence retain the right to poke fun at the country of my birth and the country of my permanent residency :)

Bealman

That's a good way of putting it! Wish I'd thought of that!  :thumbsup:

It's like when Australia plays England in the cricket (or anything) - I sit on the fence, then it doesn't matter who wins, I'll celebrate with multiple beers  :beers:

LASteve

Quote from: Bealman on July 27, 2021, 07:20:57 AM
I sit on the fence, then it doesn't matter who wins, I'll celebrate with multiple beers  :beers:
What happens in a tie? Do you sit up there until you fall off? Perfect end to a day  :beers:

railsquid

Quote from: TrevL on July 27, 2021, 06:52:21 AM
Quote from: railsquid on July 27, 2021, 05:21:52 AM

I think I've watched a youtube vid of that exact location, but taken from the building in the top left at 3'53". Scary stuff!

This one?  (Sorry, can't embed it).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations