The every day disaster movie which is Japan

Started by railsquid, February 26, 2021, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

This is the Shinkansen derailment:

No serious injuries, but part of the concrete viaduct is bent out of shape to an extent which probably can't be fixed with a dash of polyfilla.

zwilnik

Quote from: railsquid on March 16, 2022, 11:33:33 PM

No serious injuries, but part of the concrete viaduct is bent out of shape to an extent which probably can't be fixed with a dash of polyfilla.

That solves a problem for me. Rather than fix my hard to reach and slightly out of true elevated track work at the back corner of my layout I'll just say it's set just after a major earthquake hit the South East of the UK sometime in the 1930s :)

railsquid

That reminds me, I must check the layout... Something fell down with a bit of a thud somewhere in the house, not sure where.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
   sad news Ian, hope you & yours are safe & well.
     stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Bealman

Quote from: railsquid on March 16, 2022, 11:59:16 PM
That reminds me, I must check the layout... Something fell down with a bit of a thud somewhere in the house, not sure where.

Eek! Priorities, priorities!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on March 17, 2022, 12:45:02 AM
Quote from: railsquid on March 16, 2022, 11:59:16 PM

Eek! Priorities, priorities!

Looks OK, at least no more chaotic than it did before.

As the power and therefore fixed internet was out, no doubt everyone was stabbing the "reload" button on their mobiles, which congested the network so everyone was stabbing the "reload" button on their mobiles,  so got out the Emergency Analogue Radio (quite nifty, it has a built-in hand-crank should no other power source be available) which proved to be the most effective way of finding out what was going on. Also the first time I've used a radio in more than a decade, I think.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: railsquid on March 17, 2022, 01:01:26 AM
Also the first time I've used a radio in more than a decade, I think.

Cool! It's not every day you get to say "Broadsword calling Danny Boy" :thumbsup:

railsquid

Quote from: zwilnik on March 16, 2022, 11:50:43 PM

That solves a problem for me. Rather than fix my hard to reach and slightly out of true elevated track work at the back corner of my layout I'll just say it's set just after a major earthquake hit the South East of the UK sometime in the 1930s :)

Some prototype pictures for inspiration: https://twitter.com/JRE_Super_Exp/status/1504256489287868425?

(the third one looks suspiciously like part of my layout)

Train Waiting

Another fabulous first for your brilliant layout thread.  That's the first time I've seen 'Twitter'!

I'm glad you were not seriously affected by the earthquake.

All best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

railsquid

Quote from: Train Waiting on March 17, 2022, 09:24:32 AM
Another fabulous first for your brilliant layout thread.  That's the first time I've seen 'Twitter'!

Here's another Twitter: https://twitter.com/railsquid (not very active though). :D

Newportnobby

Sounds like a job for @tutenkhamunsleeping

Train Waiting

Quote from: railsquid on March 17, 2022, 09:27:56 AM

Here's another Twitter: https://twitter.com/railsquid (not very active though). :D

I always questioned what was the point of Twitter.  Now I know - I can look at marvellous pictures of your layout.  Another question answered - thank you.

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 17, 2022, 09:32:13 AM

Exactly!  As part of a joint repair crew with @railsquid and his never-ending supply of disposable chopsticks!
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Quote from: Train Waiting on March 17, 2022, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: railsquid on March 17, 2022, 09:27:56 AM

I always questioned what was the point of Twitter.  Now I know - I can look at marvellous pictures of your layout.  Another question answered - thank you.

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 17, 2022, 09:32:13 AM

Exactly!  As part of a joint repair crew with @railsquid and his never-ending supply of disposable chopsticks!

Let's hope Steve's music while he works is Can - Tago Mago

railsquid

The damaged Shinkansen line has experienced over 1,000 "items of damage" so will be reopened in stages, full reopening currently planned for ca. April 20th.

In other news a couple of power stations were somewhat knocked out, and as a sudden cold snap is predicted for tomorrow, the authorities are kindly requesting people to use less electricity, or else rolling blackouts (March 2011 called and said "hello"...).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations