Peco code 55 wooden sleepered flexitrack

Started by Newportnobby, April 13, 2020, 03:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Following the recent realisation my track laying is not really as good as I thought it was (thanks to certain NGF members) I thought I might use some of this lockdown time for some renovations by purchasing about 8 lengths and some pre-soldered fishplates.
Can I find any lengths of code 55? No!
I feel quite justified in blaming the likes of @Trainfish and @exmouthcraig who, rather than toilet rolls, have obviously been stockpiling flexitrack (that's going to be rather painful when they can't obtain tissue :ouch:)
I dare say this has been compounded by Peco themselves being closed.
No comments please about whether pre-soldered fishplates should be used :sleep:
I use 'em and that's the way it is.

exmouthcraig

In my defence M'Lud my 8 boxes of flexi have been here a while, much as the 35 LH and 31 RH points, 2 scissors and 5 double slips.

It is however unfortunate that I cannot get on and lay them at this time  :'( but I'm with you on the pre soldered fish plates, I'm sure pecos machine can solder better then I can so that's my justification for them.

But I will take the blame, and I'll take @Trainfish share as well. (Its actually my dads fault he bought it all ) :D

honestjudge

I noticed the other week how scarce some finescale points had become.
Its interesting how quickly stock has disappeared. Either the retailers just keep low stock or demand has been huge?

Trainfish

My defence is that I only have 2 boxes of code 55 flexi left and I bought all my points deliberately so there would be none left for @Newportnobby to mess up with his poor tracklaying. I also have about 10 unopened packs of soldered fishplates and he's not getting his grubby mitts on those either  :D

These are the only points I have left:

And here's an empty box of track:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Bloody hoarders, I dunno  ;)

As Mick says, Hope it doesn't bite you on the bum  :smiley-laughing:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ditape

Give Osbournes a ring according to their web site they have some but from personal experience ring first to confirm they actually have it.
https://www.osbornsmodels.com/sl-300f-peco-wooden-sleeper-type-nickel-silver-rail-914-mm-box-of-30-1517-p.asp
Diane Tape

honestjudge

I've also noticed the price seems to have jumped £10 from £84 to £94 at some retailers. Funny that.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ditape on April 14, 2020, 01:40:03 AM
Give Osbournes a ring according to their web site they have some but from personal experience ring first to confirm they actually have it.
https://www.osbornsmodels.com/sl-300f-peco-wooden-sleeper-type-nickel-silver-rail-914-mm-box-of-30-1517-p.asp

I appreciate the tip, Di, but I only want 8 lengths and Osborns price is not good. Likewise their price for the Peco PL-82 soldered fishplates is £1.50 more than Rails of Sheffield :o

Newportnobby

Drat, and double drat. My local model shop (Transport Models) has some lengths of code 55 in stock but their shop is closed and they can't (won't??) post it. They also happen to have 25% off full RRP until 24.4.20.
Did think of paying for it over the phone, going there and calling them from their car park and they could have opened the door and put them outside for me.
Unnecessary journey, though, (in the eyes of the fuzz) so knowing my luck I'd be stopped and fined.
They just don't know how necessary this stuff is, do they?
So damned frustrating with it on my patch and not being able to get it :'(

njee20

You can post it as a small parcel via Royal Mail as long as it's less than 90cm long. So if they're happy trimming an inch off each length then postage is pretty trivial!

Newportnobby

Sorry, but as us railway modellers know, an inch can make all the difference ;)
What I mean is, of course, the track will be used to get from front to back of the layout without joins. Every mm is crucial.
The current problem I have is caused by the track being not quite long enough and I'm trying to find ways round it.

BR Signalman

If you send me a PM, I can send you enough track to fulfil your needs. All I would ask is for you to cover postage. I have gone over to Code 40 so all of my Code 55 is redundant.  Regards. Kev.

Newportnobby

With huge thanks to Kev (and Hermes) I received today some lengths of the required track which I can now put to use in repairing my ghastly tracklaying recently pointed out by fellow members :P.
I also intend to split the passing loops where the baseboard join is to enable easier dismantling of the layout, marked on the attached plan of repairs..............

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations