Important educational experiences

Started by railsquid, September 06, 2016, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

Needless to say I am very jealous  :D

Cheers John.

Malc

He's certainly enjoying himself. I was 7 or 8 before I got into a loco cab, mind you it was the Flying Scotsman at Kings X before we got on to go home.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

guest6107

railsquid

Among many other things (the colour yellow, penguins, pandas, flowers, and anything which runs on the Chuo line in Tokyo) the Squidlet is utterly fascinated by the whole concept of tunnels, so I took him on a tour of various tunnels of interest, starting with Shinsen Station on the Inokashira Line, which is one of those implausible locations which would earn you jeers of derision if you presented a model of it to "real" modellers:

as it is a tunnel which opens out onto a level crossing after which the line goes into a tunnel with a station, and you can literally stand on the level crossing and touch the platform, if that kind of thing floats your boat. Google Street View here: https://goo.gl/maps/UHCDjuSF4J12

LeftToMyOwnDevices

Quote from: railsquid on July 30, 2017, 03:30:02 PM
...Shinsen Station on the Inokashira Line, which is one of those implausible locations which would earn you jeers of derision if you presented a model of it to "real" modellers:

as it is a tunnel which opens out onto a level crossing after which the line goes into a tunnel with a station, and you can literally stand on the level crossing and touch the platform, if that kind of thing floats your boat. Google Street View here: https://goo.gl/maps/UHCDjuSF4J12

Thank you - that's amazing. :thankyousign:

I've just had a look at it, on the link you kindly posted. It looks like something you might also make up with a Lego Trainset (which I still have... :().

Have found your posts, on this thread, incredibly endearing; not least because your son looks like... ...well me, at that age! :worried:

Mind you, I can understand (sort of) why that location exists. Although, I have never been to Japan, given the known (extreme) pressure on available land use, such things will surely exist.

Keep up the good work; bringing your son up on the 'right lines', so to speak, but not quite literally...

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

scotsoft

What a fascinating view, thank you for posting the link  :thumbsup: the location really shows off the lack of space available.

I think it is brilliant how the little ones get hooked on particular things, when my Godson was the Squidlets age, it was the moon he was hooked on, especially a full moon and he made sure everyone present had to go to the window to see the moon. Great times when they soak up knowledge better than a sponge  :headbang:

Cheers John.

daffy

Great photo Squiddy, and great link too  Thanks. :thumbsup:

I've been looking at that link for ages now, and I'm wondering why the trains aren't running. :hmmm: Maybe it's because there's an idiot with a 360 degree camera stood in the middle of the track! :o

;) :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

REGP

Bealman

That 360° view is really something!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

The Squidlet practicing N gauge.

The word he utters -"eki" - is Japanese for station.

daffy

Very nice. He has such a gentle touch. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

David Asquith

Great thread with some lovely photos.

Dave

railsquid

The Squidlet has been getting the hang of this whole speaking thing in the last few weeks, and we just spent a couple of days in a static caravan in the boonies (derived from a Tagalog word if anyone's taking notes), anyway he pointed at the caravan and said "kasha" (which is Japanese for freight wagon if you're still taking notes), which is admittedly easier to pronounce than the Japanese word for caravan, toreiraa hausu.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: railsquid on September 30, 2017, 03:05:50 PM
boonies (derived from a Tagalog word if anyone's taking notes)

Notes taken, I'd never heard of Tagalog before!  My first thought was something to do with The Bristol Stool Chart :-[

railsquid

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on September 30, 2017, 03:15:22 PM
Quote from: railsquid on September 30, 2017, 03:05:50 PM
boonies (derived from a Tagalog word if anyone's taking notes)

Notes taken, I'd never heard of Tagalog before!  My first thought was something to do with The Bristol Stool Chart :-[
Now that's something I hadn't heard of until relatively recently  (probably due to googling toddler-related ailments).

My knowledge of Tagalog derives mainly from the novel Cryptonomicon, which I can highly recommend for the technically/historically minded.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations