Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?

Started by Rabbitaway, March 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Quote from: railsquid on January 17, 2019, 03:02:21 PM
I should point out that anime/manga are not actual depictions of everyday life in Japan :D

I fear my originally considered response about buxom schoolgirls would have seen me hit by the ban hammer!

Bob G

Quote from: railsquid on January 17, 2019, 02:51:37 PM
Methinks what it boils down to is that the Japanese... addicted to cheap reliable DC trains... largely multiple-unit/block train based.
Or put it another way, for a lot of people, operation consists of running trains round and round in circles and moving them to/from sidings.

You have just described the Southern Railway and its decendents!

Bob

emjaybee

I haven't really weighed in on this topic (I may have posted previously, but I can't remember :dunce:), but having just placed a pre-order for a Hattons Beyer-Garatt I thought I ought to.

Are we over the Golden Age? I don't think so, but mainly because it's a completely different animal now.

OnlyMe has just bought a reasonably priced 3D printer and can knock out wagons to his hearts content for himself, there's crowd-funding manufacturers doing small batch niche(ish) products, some of the retailers are now commissioning their own products, and the 3D printing 'revolution' is coming on apace.

Frankly I'm almost overwhelmed with the amount of stuff available, from so many sources, I just need deeper pockets or a reasonable lottery win.

To date I am now waiting on Sturgeons, Hunslet shunters, a J94, and now a Beyer-Garratt, and I know that I'm quite restrained compared to some.

:laugh2:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

RailGooner

I think we're definitely over the Golden Age as far as modern image goes. We're well and truly in the Platinum Age! :D

daffy

I'm in my own Golden Age of N Gauge, and frankly I have no intention of getting over it. :D

So many quality items for rolling stock, scenics, and track - too many for my meagre bank balance to cope with!  :(. And every year a new crop of technical marvels appears, mostly of superb quality and reliability.

The only one I know who doesn't see all this in terms of a Golden Age is the Chief Accountant. She has, shall I say, a different viewpoint. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Dickydcc

I have one of those!! It's frustrating when you get funds released only to find what you would like to buy is out of stock/on order & not likely to be available for the next year or so...

Globibahn

If I was a loco collector (for static display) I would probably stick with HO/OO for the impact of the models.

But for a layout focused modeller I couldn't consider anything other than N gauge. My small layout is already (quite rightfully so) the dominant feature in my flat! I had to do away with my dinner table to make way for it  :D I'm already wondering how on earth I'll squeeze another one into the flat!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Globibahn on February 04, 2019, 08:27:42 PM
I had to do away with my dinner table to make way for it  :D I'm already wondering how on earth I'll squeeze another one into the flat!

Having got rid of a dinner table why would you want another one? :confused2:
(I'm joking)

Globibahn

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 04, 2019, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: Globibahn on February 04, 2019, 08:27:42 PM
I had to do away with my dinner table to make way for it  :D I'm already wondering how on earth I'll squeeze another one into the flat!

Having got rid of a dinner table why would you want another one? :confused2:
(I'm joking)

Lol - each time I build an additional layout I'll have to do away with another piece of furniture! :D

PaulinSouthMidlands

As someone who can remember how little more than a decade ago there was a choice of poole locos with pizza cutter wheels or long out of production german chassis with British bodies and crude BRMK1 coaches or fake pre nationalisation coaches...

My response to the OPs question has to be "Are you mad?"

Rabbitaway

Paul

As the OP I am not mad, well not yet anyway!

The start of the thread was a question and I have watched the debate with interest.

My view is that N gauge is still in a good place but not at its peak which was about 4 to 5 years ago with lots of new models and very reasonable prices. We all know circumstances have changed and low prices and numerous new models every year are not viable for all the reasons discussed elsewhere on the forum.

So maybe we have stability and a more established core of N gauge modellers thanks to the heady days of cheap and plentiful models 4 to 5 years ago

Railwaygun

@railsquid said "for a lot of people, operation consists of running trains round and round in circles and moving them to/from sidings."

I suspect that 90% of UK N'gaugers do this for the fun of it ( albeit with a wider range of more accurate stock than ever before)

there are always more MRS spectators at layouts that actually move than at a "Bob Crowe special" (ie stationary trains)

NickR
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

acko22

Hi all,

Just thought I would give my final thoughts on this topic since it has been going for ages; what is a golden age? is that a subjective line?

Granted we are not going to see the prices of yester year, so in that respect its a bummer but in return for higher prices we are getting better detailing, more finesse and adaptability (To DCC or not to DCC that is the question - Sorry shakespear i have destroy one of your most famous lines  :P ).
Are we seeing the flurry of new models certainly not but we are seeing a gentle and continuous flow of new models from manufacturers and there is some mitigation of the territorial marking we use to see where a model is announced only to wait years to see it arrive (I know the pacers, but Dapol themselves had said they don't want to leave people waiting as its bad for business).

At shows over the past 3 years I have spoke to many people who are down scaling to n gauge and the numbers seem to be getting higher. Will this mean prices drop well doubtful, but it gives manufacturers greater emphasis to offer new models!

So the "golden age" it all depends on perspective, right now we are seeing just another step change in the N gauge world and it seems to me at least the future is bright!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

LASteve

Quote from: Rabbitaway on February 10, 2019, 11:24:49 PM
So maybe we have stability and a more established core of N gauge modellers thanks to the heady days of cheap and plentiful models 4 to 5 years ago
Paul, my experience might not be typical, but I've been modeling less than a year. The impetus was seeing the N-gauge "Ambleton Vale" on YouTube. I'd been messing around with AnyRail for years, knowing I had no space for any kind of railway, then I saw that I'd completely ignored the "N" capabilities and the really great models available.

I'd say the "Golden Age" is now. I have some amazing models, the world of miniature modeling is now key to my weekends - so no, there's no start or end to the "Golden Age". It emerges, evolves and progresses.

Just my ever-so-humble opinion

Newportnobby

I love the new manufacturers coming to produce more niche models but am constantly disappointed with the lack of updates. Some examples:-

Revolution Cemflos - announced 8.9.18. No updates available as at today
Revolution class 56xx - announced 24.11.18. No updates available as at today.
Revolution class 128 - announced 8.9.18. Website says order book opens Qtr1 2019. We're in the last month of that Qtr, guys!
DJM Castle - not that I'm getting one but does anyone know what's happening progress wise?
DJM Mogul - I've expressed interest but, to the best of my knowledge, lack of interest will kill this off. I've not heard this officially but, checking the website and the lack of info, it feels that way.

So - it's easy to get us all 'frothed up' (to use another member's expression) but then it seems to be "Hurry up and wait".
Somone close to Revolution made a spurious post stating class 128 expressions of interest would be taken in Jan 2019. A case of 'fake news'?

Please remember my 'shelf life' may not be as long as others!!!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations