DC vs DCC

Started by 4x2, September 13, 2011, 10:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlythStationLad

If, like mine, your locos are 'DCC ready' then the extra cost for 'chipping' is just that for the decoder - I use Bachmann 6-pin decoders, around £15.

A local model shop will 'hard-wire' a decoder into my latest acquisition, a Bachmann class 03 shunter. This will cost £15 plus the cost of the decoder. I suppose I could have tried myself but don't have the nerve to get that close to the chassis with a soldering iron!

As always with this hobby, there is no definite way ahead: it's entirely up to the individual as to what they want out of their layout: I want smooth running and as close as possible to 100% reliability, without having to go to 2mm finescale (too late for this layout!).

upnick

I   looked at DC   but the  advantages  of DCC  outweighed it &  now i'm   glad i  did, starting  with  a procab   &   two    locos  both of  which i   successfully fitted  decoders to  on  returning home the precise control   &   lighting  features  on locos  cannot  be  achieved  in DC    especially  with my  U.S.   where ditch/mars   lighting  etc  comes  into  play.

Along with  the procab  i   went on to   purchase the Powercab which  has an   extra   panel  if needed.  

The  only  DC  i   would  consider   is  a    line /lines   isolated from the  DCC   with a shuttle   unit for  eg:  a  siding serving  a   small  industry.  

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations