NGS Journal 1/14

Started by joe cassidy, February 14, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

Don't forget to hang on to the shop list supplied with the latest issue, as only amendments will be sent out in future, not the full list as usual.

brbluewill

quite sad to see scotland now has no area group  :'( am i the only n gauger up here left :D
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

Roy L S

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on February 15, 2014, 05:34:10 PM
I didn't think much of the Mail Bag section. Still a lot of discussion about a certain person.

As for content I found it fairly comparable to last years content. It can only be as good as what is supplied for publication.

I'm keeping an open mind on the new Editor and hope that the Journal does not become an outlet for elitist dare I say rivet-counter type articles to the detriment of "The Lowest Common Denominator" as many of the membership have been labelled.

The Society needs members to survive so hopefully the Journal will continue to satisfy the majority at whatever level of skill the model in N Gauge. Be it RTR on a table top or full blown high fidelity. :thankyousign:

Not a great deal in it that grabbed my attention this month.

I though a six page article on scrapyards was a little excessive, and I merely skimmed a number of articles including those relating to the "prize length", signal box and tool van.

It was good to see Don Pearson's article "Greenwood Outback" - I have been fortunate to see Don's layout change and grow over the years, and have a play on a number of occasions - it really is fabulous. I also liked "A Deity Nigh" - David Snell's layout article.

But there's the thing. Others may have found much more of the content to their taste, and it must be very hard to find a balance from the pool of articles available.

As to the Journal's future, I think we need to give Grahame a chance. Based on his N'spirations magazines I personally do not see any reason to worry about the content becoming too "elitist". He has his views but that need not translate into the content of the magazine. I am sure he will take into account the diverse interests and skill levels of the many members in what he publishes.

I am looking forward to seeing an already a very professionally produced publication refreshed in many positive ways.

Roy

joe cassidy

The signal box article was a good one, for me anyway.

Two of the layout aricles were good also, one showing the use of Peco foam ballast to good effect.

Best regards,

Joe

MikeDunn

I'm glad this thread exists - I realised I hadn't renewed  :smackedface:  Will be resolved this week-end.

As far as the current content is concerned - as I said last time this was raised, how much if H's responsibility & how much from the previous Editor ?  I'd be interested to know.  I doubt H has had much chance to affect this issue; although next issue will be a different matter (within the bounds of the template he will be working within).

Mike

joe cassidy

Quote from: Bealman on February 15, 2014, 02:37:03 AM
Naughty Grappa. No biccies for him that day, then, I guess!!  ;D

Biccies ? I would say "no eating the postman" that day.

Best regards,

Joe
(scared of dogs)

ParkeNd

Did anyone notice that in the Dapol advert in NGS Journal 1/14 that the 14xx and Autocoach are scheduled for Feb 14 availability?

1936ace

excellent, cant wait to recieve my copy in the mail next week hopefully
bart

mr magnolia

I'm keeping an open mind on the new Editor

no change at all yet to the editorial or production team that I can see, and no mention of change in the magazine (mail train letters aside). I wonder if everything is as decided as we currently think?

Roy L S

Quote from: mr magnolia on February 16, 2014, 06:56:18 AM

I'm keeping an open mind on the new Editor

no change at all yet to the editorial or production team that I can see, and no mention of change in the magazine (mail train letters aside). I wonder if everything is as decided as we currently think?

It looks pretty official - there is an announcement on the NGS Website 29/1/14.

I suspect Journals are planned sometime in advance and it may be another edition or two before any changes become evident.

Roy

ParkeNd

As a "lowest common denominator" myself, and proud of it, I join with others in keenly awaiting the next issues of NGS Journal with great enthusiasm. It is either going to be even better than now or I am going to enjoy it in a cynical way as I do another forum when a mod goes off on a rant.

Personally I believe it will improve as change often does improve things (with the possible exception of MUFC) and there is probably some kind of committee effect anyway in the production of the Journal.

So bring it on.

MikeDunn

Quote from: ParkeNd on February 16, 2014, 09:55:45 AM
as change often does improve things (with the possible exception of MUFC)
Oh, I dunno ... most of the country seems to have enjoyed it  :P

PostModN66

D'you know...I can't help but wonder if all this is a moot point.....

I increasingly wonder what is the point of any magazine.  Nowadays most of my consumption of N Gauge information is through this very forum, rather than the NGJ or any of the mainstream magazines.

Also, I used to contribute to the Journal fairly regularly - now my ideas and suggestions are all published here; and I get the advantage of instant feedback, other contributions, questions etc.   I could package these up and contribute them to the Journal.....but you have all had the chance to read them by then anyway....!

I would be interested from anyone, what the journal gives you that this forum doesn't?   If there is a degree of consensus, maybe the form of the mag could be moulded to meet this need.......

Cheers

Jon   :)

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

ParkeNd

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 16, 2014, 10:00:44 AM
Quote from: ParkeNd on February 16, 2014, 09:55:45 AM
as change often does improve things (with the possible exception of MUFC)
Oh, I dunno ... most of the country seems to have enjoyed it  :P

Especially if your world is light blue?

red_death

To be clear, Journal 1/14 was produced by Richard B and the previous team.  Grahame is already working on his first issue and takes over from 2/14.

Cheers, Mike

(NGS Product Development Officer)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations