Happy Australia Day

Started by Webbo, January 26, 2019, 02:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webbo

Happy Australia Day for all those in Oz and for anyone else who would care to celebrate with us.

Special hello to George (Bealman) who may or not be still laid up in hospital, but I note from his posts that the medical system has not managed to kill him. This is good news for all of us and for George too.

Australia Day has become somewhat contentious here in Australia. It is supposed to commemorate the arrival of the first fleet of convict settlers to this country in 1788, but many of our indigenous brothers and sisters call it Invasion Day. I am sympathetic to their point of view, but this should not stop us from celebrating Australia even if the choice of date may be dubious.

Too hot here in Canberra to do anything outside - temperature has reached 40 and it's only 1:30 pm. I'm about to retire to my train room.

Webbo

Bealman

Cheers, Ian!

Yes indeed - hope you all have a good one, wherever in the world you are.

I did indeed survive the operation but I'm currently in a rehab centre for a couple of weeks while I learn how to get around on one leg for three months.

Still, as Webbo says, in the current heat, it's not such a bad place to be!  :beers:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Actually, Just after posting above, I turned on the TV, and lo and behold, what comes up?

"The Ghan - the full journey"!!!

OK, I know it's Australia Day, but I still can't believe they made that!

I'm going to have another nap.  ;)

railsquid

I'll put me best thongs on and chuck a stubbie on the barbie in celebration  :beers:

I hope it doesn't get too hot! (Rumours of inbound snow here up-top).

joe cassidy

It's also Republic Day in India.

Bealman

We do have an Indian member!  :thumbsup:

njee20

Seems an apt day to post Jeremy Lee's thoughts on Australia, often wrongly cited as being by Douglas Adams.

port perran

We're celebrating Burns Night here this evening.
We're not Scottish and not fans of  the Baird either....it's simply an excuse to ear haggis and drink whisky!
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Actually, having knocked "The Ghan"  on this and another thread, I'm embarrassed to report that I've just watched the entire leg from Katherine to Darwin!

It's exciting when you're lying prostrate on a hospital bed!

Enjoy the rest of Australia Day, Antipodean members  :beers:

railsquid

Quote from: port perran on January 26, 2019, 08:34:30 AM
We're celebrating Burns Night here this evening.
We're not Scottish and not fans of  the Baird either....it's simply an excuse to ear haggis and drink whisky!

"Ear haggis" boggle :goggleeyes: ???

weave

Hi,

Forgot it was today. I used to celebrate it with my mate and his wife from Melbourne but they've gone back now ie. he's emigrated there  :(.

Anyway, hope you all are having a great day and can keep air conditioned.

There's a lovely girl from Adelaide who works in my local so good excuse to pop in to wish her well  ;)

Cheers weave  :beers:  :beers:  :beers:

Bealman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations