The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

It's yet another 'quirky hobby' reality TV show, and as such, thrives on atypical characters that the audience can love or hate. It's nothing to do with promoting the hobby (beyond the sponsor's product placement): it's about audience and advertising revenue.

As a program, it was ok, but not particularly engaging. I went out to do the dad's taxi run five minutes before the end, which probably is all I need to say.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Bob Tidbury

I watched it last night on catchup after Val had gone to bed , a bit disappointed ,it seems that every program on our hobby makes us out to be real wierdos and to be honest the standard of modelling done on screen was not that good ,Missenden Modelers idea of perspective was really good but they spoilt it by NOT building things there and cheated by bringing in far too many pre built items ,
I have been to the late Bill Mcallpines place at Fawley near Henley on Thames where this was filmed it's an amazing museum unfortunately only open by appointment ,you should see that little tank loo struggling up the hill with two wagons fitted with seats  ,when it rains it has to be pulled up by a bulldozer.
As usual I could go on rambling but I won't this time .
Bob Tidbury

trkilliman

It is said that railway modelling is a broad Church, taking in many levels of skill, ideas and aspiration. Some comments on this and other forums indicate that people enjoyed it. For me it was a let down, and it appears more felt the same as me than those that thought it was good. The hobby has a long standing perception of being full of "Anoraks" as does trainspotting. I think producers play up to this believing it will widen appeal. For me it was like Bake off, a few tantrums and terse moments built in/produced. If you enjoyed it then great, although I didn't.

tutenkhamunsleeping

I bailed at the first commercial break, I'm afraid. The program just reinforces the old stereotype that everyone involved in a TV production company is an incompetent, clueless, weirdo ;)

silly moo

I get the feeling that it would improve if given a lot more programmes and further series, it's very much an experiment at this stage for both the modellers and producers. Whether they get the chance to produce further series will no doubt depend on the popularity of these first few programmes.

Fardap

I think that it would be interesting to know how the non modeller viewed it.  Haven't seen it yet will certainly give it a look. 
Someone said modelling is teamwork and not competition but I disagree. This apparently shows teams modelling together and then being judged against other teams is no different to exhibitions and layouts being awarded best in show etc. 
Anything that potentially brings the hobby to a wider audience is a good thing for the manufacturers and then a good thing for the rest of us.

I will watch it and will watch other episodes as don't like to judge something on one viewing. Looking forward to it and either sighing, shouting or being amazed.

Trev

Quote from: austinbob on October 05, 2018, 10:14:20 PM
Very disappointing. No real modelling content and very superficial. Designed for general public and not enthusiasts. Won't bother to watch the  next one. ☹

Certainly, agree and am I the only one who thought that the scripting of the presenters and the overall approach was, in many ways, a direct copy of the style used on Bake Off. Even down to the presenters sitting around a table to discuss who is in trouble.

Luckily I recorded so was able to fast forward some of the very dull bits.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Buffin

I was disappointed by them being set a 'theme', presumably designed to hook casual viewers who might not be interested in railway modelling itself, and I agree that there was too much talking and not enough modelling. The scratch build challenge was presumably 'modelled' on the Bake Off technical challenge.

I thought the programme was skilfully edited to incite the audience against the rule benders, who to be fair produced a layout with some good features, even if they were 'planted' on the day.

The presenters were very good. Of the judges, Kathy is a TV natural. Steve isn't.

They've designed the series for popular appeal, but I imagine they won't commission another one if it doesn't get good viewing figures. Some people here evidently wouldn't care about that. Don't you want to attract people to the hobby, by whatever means?

Bealman

I'm all for getting folks into the hobby, but unfortunately, from reading here, it's going to be a one off.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Forgot it was on, found it on +1 by accident.   I didn't really like the style at all (predictable/naff jokes, staged conflicts, ridiculous "challenge"  etc.).  I missed parts of it as I was nodding off anyway, will try to find it on a catch up and see the whole thing but don't think I'm going to like it as a program.  That being said I'll probably still try and catch the further episodes as it is ostensibly featuring a hobby I enjoy.

[edit]
OK, just watched it through properly on My5.  Bottom line for me is if it didn't feature model railways I wouldn't have bothered with it at all, I hate the format.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

javlinfaw7

Please don't let them do a "celebrity" version

littlegs

Watched it last night,
3 groups including one from my local area(Porthcawl). Hard luck Alan and the boys.
Not a bad watch.
The teams had 3 days to complete a layout based on a theme. Last night's was based on movies.
I was so glad that the rather smug team leader from Missenden got what he deserved by trying to bend the rules concerning prebuilt items (they were allowed 6) by trying to say that 4 modules of terraces houses(80 houses in total) were one.
I think the judges counted at least 10 pre built items!!!. Well done to them for sticking to the rules and (without actually saying it) disqualifying them.  He was convinced that his team were not only going to win the heat but also the complete competition.
Last night's heat was won by a team called Strangers On A Train( They had never met before the competition) with a layout called The Longest Day depicting the lead up to D Day. and it looked really good considering the lack of time they had.
Cant wait til next friday
regards Chris

Newportnobby

For me, the jury is still out. I found it immediately to be a bit 'tricksy' i.e. I don't like this thing about modelling old films (next week is TV programmes. Is someone going to do the tram crash from Corrie?) but there were some little nuggets of good modelling. Shame the aliens beamed me up after just 10 minutes and then plonked me back down 20 minutes later so I probably missed the best bits (?) I could do without some idiot pinching their nose and announcing how much time was left, too.
I guess the most telling thing would be to hear Steve Flint's honest opinion of the show as it struck me he was there to give it some gravitas but really he looked like a fish out of water for much of it.
I'll give it time.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: littlegs on October 06, 2018, 01:50:47 PM
Watched it last night,
3 groups including one from my local area(Porthcawl)...

... and now you've completely given the game away for anyone still waiting to watch the episode on catch-up . ho-hum!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Tank

I missed the first 20 minutes, but I enjoyed the rest of it.  My wife even said that she enjoyed it, and loved to scream "CHEATERS!" at one of the teams! ;D  Perhaps this added to me enjoying the program more?!!?  In any case, I am looking forward to the next one.

I am amazed at how many members on here and on the Facebook group don't like it one bit!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations