Bachmann Pricing Policy

Started by Rabbitaway, January 22, 2020, 08:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

John (Train Waiting) has nailed it, I think.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on January 24, 2020, 08:10:06 AM

1. Research whether there is a chance (however slight) that the model appeared in my modelled region and era.
2. For crowd funded models and limited editions (eg Brighton Belle) just go for it and pre-pay.
3. For things I REALLY want (I was going to say need but none of us NEEDS any of these models, actually), I do buy at 15% discount.
4. For things that get offered to me at ridiculous discounts, I do (1) above (just to calm myself down and be really sure) and then go for it. Everyone likes a bargain!
5. If I discover that something was produced that fits my era and I had missed it, I trawl the net and auction sites, and pay the market rate, which could be lower or in some cases could be higher than RRP.

That spookily mirrors what I do (although I have 4 regions of BR transition era to cater for so it's fairly expensive).
I still think Farish made hay in some areas during the 5 year annual Chinese wage increase - just compare prices of Farish v Dapol rolling stock :hmmm:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Train Waiting on January 24, 2020, 08:26:43 AM
Quote from: Dr Al on January 24, 2020, 12:48:42 AM
I'd be interested to explore what other folk do - do others hold off buying as a result of this strategy? I'd be amazed if I was the only one.
Cheers,
Alan

I'd normally be reluctant to trouble our Forum with my personal views on something like this, but Alan expressed interest in hearing others' approaches.

This topic probably has particular relevance to locomotives and rolling stock.  Almost all my engines are from Union Mills.  These are only available direct from the manufacturer and I send a cheque to Mr Heard whenever he announces a new model or a re-run of a model that I'm interested in.  By the way, it is only cashed when the locomotive is despatched.

Most of my carriages are by Dapol and these appear to have good availability so there is no rush to purchase.  A bit like me saving up for almost a year to buy a Tri-ang Hornby 'Britannia'! However, a lot of modern production appears to be done in limited runs and there is a chance of not being able to buy a model a while after release.  I understand that some even sell-out by pre-order.

Like many 'N' gauge modellers, I really fancied the Graham Farish 'Birdcage' set.  Southern livery for me!  When the models were released, I went to my 'local' model shop (Harburn Hobbies, Edinburgh) and bought a set.  A good outcome; I got the carriages I wanted (and I'm very glad I did as they are really lovely) and a small independent retailer got my business.  It's wonderful to have a shop like this fairly nearby, as I can pop in when I'm in Edinburgh and buy a tin of paint or a sheet of 'Plastikard' and receive exactly the same courteous service as when I purchased the expensive carriages.

When I did exactly that earlier this week, I noticed that they had discounted 'Birdcage' sets available.  In BR crimson!  I didn't consider buying one, although if a discounted set in SECR 'Wellington Brown' appears on the shelf, I might just be tempted.

In summary, my views are:

Buy on release or by pre-order if I really want something.
Purchase 'as and when' for generally available items.
Buy if and when discounted for a model I like, but would be content to 'miss out' on.
Support a 'local' retailer or small manufacturer as much as possible, provided it is deserving of my support - fortunately 'mine' most certainly are.
I don't buy much second-hand apart from on our Forum.

If Graham Farish announces an 'N' gauge NBR 'Atlantic', I'll get on the first train I can (although it'll take a considerable while to recover from the shock!) to Edinburgh and head down the Leith Walk to pre-order one.

With all best wishes.

John

Good to hear they are still there.  As a schoolboy fifty years ago I used to go through to Edinburgh to visit Harburn Hobbies and Wonderland (when they were in Rose Street South Lane behind Princess Street now next to Usher Hall)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations