Help choosing rolling stock for my layout

Started by gavin_t, October 30, 2019, 12:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin_t

Now my layout is up and running it is time to start acquiring some rolling stock to populate it.

I have chosen a fictional area in south East England in the early 90's as my setting.
I have done a fair bit of online reading and it seems there were a fair few liveries about at that time due to transitions etc.
Just want to make sure I am on the right track with my thinking. I fancy:
NSE CLASS 101 DMU for a local Passanger service
NSE class 47 capital connect set for mainline Passanger
Class 60 rail frieight for a freight train
Rail grey grey 08 for yard duties
See attached pics for my choices

As for freight would it mainly be container wagons at this point or would you still see open and closed wagons etc?

Also trying to get DCC ready stuff if possible so if you can think of anything out there that fits  my era post it up  :D

Any input appreciated before I go crazy on eBay etc  ;D

:thankyousign:

gavin_t

crewearpley40

Gavin. I have a rake of freightliners, TEA Tanks i use in a block rake.  i have haa coal wagons. For speedlink i have a hba, flat, vea's vba van, tube. Oil tank, and a polybulk. I have an unfitted with brake van and various vans open trucks

Steven B

Your modelling period is an interesting one for wagonload freight. The Speedlink  network ended in 1991 and its replacements (Charterail and the later Enterprise network) weren't any more successful.

Fortunately, as you're modelling the South East train ferry traffic to and from Dover was still actively carrying wagon load traffic (but obviously in Ferry rated vans, opens, tanks and hoppers). Farish's Polybulk, Dapol's Ferry van, silver bullets & Steel hoods, Revolution's ferry-twins are all suitable for ferry trains (train ferry services ended in 1995 with the opening of the Channel Tunnel).

Block trains would be the most common. Steel to and from Sheerness, nuclear traffic to Dungeness, aggregates, fuel oil and containers would all be seen regularly. Engineers trains can find a home on any layout.

Steven B.

Upperton

A Class 33 in Dutch livery would fit in perfect for the period, quite at home on engineering/ballast/freight duty but occasionally seen on passenger workings too. Dapol's 33 is an excellent runner and fine for DCC.

gavin_t

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Now the owner of a NSE DCC ready class 101  :D an as new one popped up on a for sale page for £70 so snapped it up. Almost paid double that for one last week  :o

gavin_t

Also what rail freight sector is this class 60? This is the one I was looking at that gf make.
Here is a shot of it sneakily pulling some NSE stock  :D

Upperton

gavin_t

Quote from: Upperton on October 30, 2019, 08:48:11 PM
That 60 is a Petroleum.

Thanks.  The sector logos were the one bit I was still unsure of following my research.
So if I go with that one I will need some tankers  :D

scruff

Sector liveries:
coal: Black diamonds
Petroleum: Blue waves
Metals: Blue angles
Construction: Blue blocks
Distribution: Red diamonds
General: Red rectangles

All above have a yellow background

I had 60047 in Railfreight coal livery on an NSE train out of paddington. So you could use Farish's 60057 in coal sector or 60054 in petroleum sector as your loco. Just note the Farish 60054 has silver windscreens, two minutes with a black marker pen sorted that out though..

Hope that helps

Cheers
Mark

gavin_t

@scruff that is a good simple explanation thanks!

Good to know they did sneak off to do other duties from time to time.

Didn't realise how much changed in the 90s until I started looking into it. Was originally thinking I could get away with 1992 to 98 but quite a lot changed in this period it seems.

crewearpley40

If modelling the 90s rail scene. The parcels sector saw res livery red painted vans with blue and blue grey vehicles. Just a thought

njee20

Yes, privatisation in the 90s certainly changed the landscape rather significantly.

That said a lot of stuff running in 1992 was still around in 1998, it wasn't overnight change. Sector locos would be fine at either period.

gavin_t

Got quite into this research thing now  ;D

Found this cracking website, categorises all the images by the decade too so perfect for me  :D

http://www.dieselimagegallery.com

Might try and get a second generation livery rail freight distribution model. As this will allow some flexibility and it seems many survived painted in these colours until the late 90s

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations