Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

I agree Joe. :thumbsup:

I've noted a propensity for this bad form of late on some threads.  The poll is a case in point, but I have noted it a few times lately where a poster has asked a perfectly legitimate question, or made a particular point or statement, but receives answers or comments in reply that are, well, rude and uncalled for IMO.

We come here to ask for or give of information (and waffle and jape a lot too)  and those asking are often confused by what they have previously tried, been advised, or read and so are looking for clarity, not censure or criticism.
Asking a question is a signal for help, and those replying should do so with grace, kindness and understanding.
And if a question or request is not understood, or poorly phrased, we should simply ask the O.P. for clarification or further information.

And if we disagree with a statement or viewpoint of another, we may argue or debate, but we should never decry or insult.

Courtesy costs nothing and is invaluable.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Jerry Howlett

I will apologise here to @funnysunny365, for ANY OFFENCE CAUSED by my response to his poll.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Bealman

Basically, the moderating team certainly do not want to upset or alienate any members of this forum, especially new ones!  :thumbsup:

However, the poll seemed to be an enthusiastic venture which really wasn't going anywhere.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

joe cassidy

Perhaps the moderating team could send a private message to such offenders instead of inflicting a public humiliation on them.

Remember our motto :

"Welcome ! There is no such thing as a stupid question."

Best regards,

Joe

austinbob

Quote from: joe cassidy on February 08, 2017, 12:40:30 PM
Perhaps the moderating team could send a private message to such offenders instead of inflicting a public humiliation on them.

Remember our motto :

"Welcome ! There is no such thing as a stupid question."

Best regards,

Joe
Sounds like a good idea...
:thankyousign:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Herzel on February 13, 2017, 10:50:12 PM
Incensed but not angry - the ridiculous prices of DCC decoder chips.

I'm looking for a GWR 57xx. At Hattons one (not GWR) for DC (DCC ready) comes to c£70.
The "Great Western" model "DCC fitted" comes to £98.

WHAT? £28 for an item that probably costs less than £1 to make and sell in China. Talk about rip off. 

Now I suppose I have to look for a good used one. I am NOT paying £28 for something I don't want.
Or maybe there are other shops.

If you can source DCC decoders for £1 each I will take 100  :D

Newportnobby

Quote from: newportnobby on August 18, 2016, 04:25:29 PM
Last year my GP referred me to a consultant at Chorley hospital regarding my breathlessness and this resulted in me having a triple by pass in January 2016.
Today I have been to see this consultant in Chorley and his first question to me when I walked into his consulting room was "Have you had your operation yet?" to which my reply was "You're joking, right? Are you telling me you don't know?"
I filled him in on the details and then he asked me what medications I was on. At this point I blew my stack and shouted at him "Why aren't such details on your  :censored: computer system? How come you know so little about my medical history considering you referred me for the operation in the first place?"

Nothing is overshadowing my happiness at getting my driving licence back but I find the lack of communications/computer systems in the medical arena to be absolutely shocking. All those years ago a great fuss was made in my medical practice about putting all my records on computer so they could be accessed by anyone who needed to know my medical history. Bah :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Oh dear. I have to go to the hospital Thursday afternoon to see the above moronic consultant. I wonder if he'll have read any notes off the computer or will just ask silly questions again. I guess there will either be a post from me in The Angry Thread or an ASBO served on me for assault :uneasy:

Jimbo

He wasn't the one who did the op then? Mind you, wouldn't surprise me if he was! There are some good ones around though. There doesn't seem to be a personal touch anymore sadly, i'm sorry to hear that, good luck on Thursday  :thumbsup:.....try and stay calm!  :uneasy:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

railsquid

Quote from: Herzel on February 14, 2017, 09:05:31 AM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 13, 2017, 10:57:20 PM
Quote from: Herzel on February 13, 2017, 10:50:12 PM
Incensed but not angry - the ridiculous prices of DCC decoder chips.

I'm looking for a GWR 57xx. At Hattons one (not GWR) for DC (DCC ready) comes to c£70.
The "Great Western" model "DCC fitted" comes to £98.

WHAT? £28 for an item that probably costs less than £1 to make and sell in China. Talk about rip off. 

Now I suppose I have to look for a good used one. I am NOT paying £28 for something I don't want.
Or maybe there are other shops.

If you can source DCC decoders for £1 each I will take 100  :D

I'm sure it would promote DCC far more - better still sell them as a loss-leader to get the thing in - manufacturing cost I'm guessing is about 30p. I'll send you a sackful when I find out who makes them.

I've had some dealings with the Chinese / electronics, so have a good idea of what such things cost. (I did a bit of work on a similar thing: MIDI back in the day when it was hewn from solid silicon!

But there it is. The hobby cutting its own throat. Fashion is one thing. Getting ripped off is another.

:D
I'd switch to DCC in an instant at that price. Unfortunately I have ca. 150 non-DCC-compatible units (many of them multiple), price + conversion effort is a no-no.

daveg

Nothing like as bad as Mick's aggro but our 2 year old fridge/freezer packed up last night.

Best the service/repair people can do is a week today so mad panic moving as much stuff as poss to the old freezer in the garage plus some to kind neighbours who have room in theirs.

Now, after half a dozen chaser type phone calls, we're told there's a discrepancy in the paperwork for our new solar panels and a huge reduction on what we'll be paid for the power we generate.

Bah!  :censored:

Dave G

red_death

Quote from: Herzel on February 14, 2017, 09:05:31 AM
I'm sure it would promote DCC far more - better still sell them as a loss-leader to get the thing in - manufacturing cost I'm guessing is about 30p. I'll send you a sackful when I find out who makes them.

I've had some dealings with the Chinese / electronics, so have a good idea of what such things cost. (I did a bit of work on a similar thing: MIDI back in the day when it was hewn from solid silicon!

But there it is. The hobby cutting its own throat. Fashion is one thing. Getting ripped off is another.

But manufacturing is hardly the dominant cost for decoder manufacturing (some are not made in China but in Europe still).  R&D and other overheads have a much greater impact when you are only selling a relatively small number of chips (compared to mass market consumer electronics DCC decoders are a tiny business).

So you might well be right that the manufacturing cost is £1 or less, but that isn't really relevant...

Cheers, Mike

Nick

Quote from: newportnobby on February 14, 2017, 12:02:06 PM
Oh dear. I have to go to the hospital Thursday afternoon to see the above moronic consultant. I wonder if he'll have read any notes off the computer or will just ask silly questions again. I guess there will either be a post from me in The Angry Thread or an ASBO served on me for assault :uneasy:

Take a deep breath, and console yourself that you're not alone with these troubles. I had similar problems with my second eye problem, 18 months ago. One doctor (a registrar, I think) read my file and somehow concluded that I'd had an op when I hadn't - the problem fixed itself.  He was looking at my retinal problem from the previous year, I think! :headbutt:

Then he wanted me to keep going back for check ups, even though my sight had recovered, and the consultant was ready to sign me off, because: "Most people feel better if we keep reviewing..."

Not me!! I hate walking in through the doors of the place. It's a damn good job they don't check my blood pressure in the eye clinic. It'd blow the top of the sphygmomanometer thingy if they were still using the old fashioned sort! :veryangry:

Best of luck, nobby.

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jimbo on February 14, 2017, 12:29:08 PM
He wasn't the one who did the op then?

No - he was the one who put me onto Blackpool hospital (they were wonderful folks).

Quote from: Nick on February 14, 2017, 03:54:23 PM

Best of luck, nobby.

Thanks Nick. I must admit I get 'white coat' syndrome :uneasy:

REGP

Quote from: newportnobby on February 14, 2017, 04:17:58 PM
No - he was the one who put me onto Blackpool hospital (they were wonderful folks).

Well at least he got something right then!

Ray

daffy

Good luck with your appointment Mick @newportnobby .

I've had to see an Orthopaedic Consultant for my back and neck.
I've had to seen ENT Consultant for my ears and nose and ...er.. throat.
I've had to see a Respiratory Consultant for my chest.
I've had to see an Opthalmic Consultant for my eyes.
I've had to see a Psychiatric Consultant for my mind.
And I've had to see a Maxillo-Facial Consultant for my teeth.

But I've never had to see a Moronic Consultant, so I guess one part of me must still be perfectly healthy. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations