Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bealman

Yep, baked beans on toast with a sprig of holly on it for Christmas and track cleaning fluid for New Year  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

Quote from: Bealman on December 28, 2015, 06:55:03 AM
Yep, baked beans on toast with a sprig of holly on it for Christmas and track cleaning fluid for New Year  :uneasy:

Yum!  :foodanddrink:

Obviously you're a Man for All Seasons.

HNY!! :bounce:

Dave G

silly moo

My heart goes out to those people whose houses have been flooded, I can't begin to  imagine how dreadful it must be to have your house flooded and your possessions damaged or lost and then having to move into temporary accommodation. And then you have the uncertainty every time it rains heavily with even more rain en route.

I must admit that I did think of something else as well, is the NRM in danger of flooding?

Newportnobby

My sister lives in an 18th century farmhouse and her cellar was flooded along with the village being cut off, Croston (just down the road) was chest deep in water, Eccleston was closed off as there was a car floating on top of the bridge (which had itself become unsafe) and the lane outside her house was just a river.
Yesterday was dry and today is forecast the same but it looks like high winds and driving rain are due to hit our area again this Wednesday :worried:

Malc

I was in York some years ago just after the flooding. The Ouse was overflowing the towpaths, but IIRC we had to walk up a hill to the NRM. There was no sign of floodwater on that occasion.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Geoff

Lots of incompetence regarding floods the government needs to take a lot of the blame to much money over seas and not enough going to the route of problems in this country, plenty of out of sight out of mind.
Geoff

silly moo

Can you imagine, they spend years and years of work and a vast sum of money to restore Flying Scotsman only for it to get damaged in a flood?

I'm pleased to hear that the NRM is on slightly higher ground.

Malc

Some of the problems are caused by planning departments giving builders permission to build on flood plains. There is a clue in the name. Obviously not the only cause.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tiggy

Hi, just looked and could not find any info on the FS being damaged in the current floods - have you any more info?  :)

silly moo

As far as I know it hasn't been damaged in the floods, I was just saying that it would be dreadful if it did.

silly moo

From the horse's mouth or The NRM Facebook page to be precise:

Flood information: We are open as usual and unaffected by the flooding, however our phone lines are currently down. We advise you to check road closures if you are planning to visit, as access into York is limited.

Tdm

I sympathise with the problems people in the U.K. are having at the moment with the flooding, I used to live in two of the areas currently affected.

Although Tenerife only gets 2 or 3 days of rain a year, when it does rain you know about it, as can be seen in the pictures below taken earlier this year.

Tiggy

Duhh, rereading your comment I can see it was speculation - one numpty here!

MikeDunn

Quote from: Malc on December 28, 2015, 12:02:33 PM
planning departments giving builders permission to build on flood plains. There is a clue in the name.
Agreed, not the only cause - but certainly a substantial one ...

I'm always suspicious when a builder gets permission to plonk a stonking big housing estate in the middle of a flood plain - they ain't already built on for a damn good reason !  Makes you wonder just how they managed to get it through process ...  :hmmm:  After all, if it were really good land, surely the Victorians or Georgians would already have built there.

Always bad news for the home-owners, but the builder don't care - he's already made his large profit &  :censored: off to repeat the same scam elsewhere  :thumbsdown:

So - if you're thinking of moving - always check where the streams/rivers are, how far away from the prospective property, and how high up you are (or not !) from them ... basic sense, but not often followed  :doh:

I don't personally know anyone affected by the flooding, but a mate of mine is helping out the Mountain Rescue teams with the evacuations etc in his small town outside Halifax; his place is on the hill so is safe, other parts of the town aren't as fortunate with the Calder & Ryburn :(

railsquid

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 28, 2015, 01:11:40 PM
So - if you're thinking of moving - always check where the streams/rivers are, how far away from the prospective property, and how high up you are (or not !) from them ... basic sense, but not often followed  :doh:
Water flows downwards in all directions from Chez Railsquid. This is something I checked before the final contract was signed. Also way inland (no tsunami risk) and no risk of ground liquefaction, though those factors aren't so critical in the UK.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations