Z gauge question.

Started by emjaybee, May 14, 2019, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Please don't judge me!

:(

I've bought a Z gauge Marklin 8800, having picked up a Peco narrow gauge tram kit cheap off FleaBay. It's unlikely to get built anytime soon, but I'd like to check the chassis out upon receipt.

Question: Can I use my Bachmann train set controller safely on the Marklin or do I need a different controller?

Ta.

:)
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

stevewalker

Z-gauge are rated for a lower voltage, so keep the voltage down for testing on a non-z specific controller. The easy way though (which is what I did), is just to use a 9V battery touched across the wheels (or rails).

Bealman

Should be ok (said Bealman) fingers crossed!

I've always fancied an N gauge working narrow gauge on my layout, and was just going to run it off existing supplies.

I believe a forum member has done this.

@maridunian ?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Yes but don't wind it up too far - Z gauge is nominally only around 8V I think (not 12V). It should be obvious when you reach correct cruising speed  :D

If I remember correctly a 4 digit loco number eg #8800 makes it an older 3-pole mechanism I think.  The 5 pole mechs (5 digit model numbers?) are better at slow running. 

I find with my little Z fleet that a genuine Marklin Z controller does give better control than just using any old controller. It's probably tuned better to the motor characteristics.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

emjaybee

Got it.

Okay to test with Bachmann controller,  but ultimately better with a Marklin one.

Thanks chaps.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

Bealman

I guess it makes sense to use the power unit from the originator of Z gauge.

I'm dead interested in your idea of the Peco thing, though! It's white metal, isn't it?

Let's know how you get on!  :thumbsup:

emjaybee

Quote from: Bealman on May 14, 2019, 11:00:24 AM
I guess it makes sense to use the power unit from the originator of Z gauge.

I'm dead interested in your idea of the Peco thing, though! It's white metal, isn't it?

Let's know how you get on!  :thumbsup:

Whoa! Hold your horses there George.

My modelling speed is what may be described as 'glacial' . Being self-employed and have a wife with horses limits my time available.

The Peco kit is a little white metal tram loco. I've always liked the idea of mixed gauges and I almost deserted N when I found a supplier of OO/OO9 mixed gauge track. So my next most affordable option is to have narrow gauge N. The kit is designed for the 8800 chassis, and I've been keeping my eyes open for a few months since picking up the kit for a fiver. Yesterday a 8800 Marklin popped up in Germany with 'furry' zinc body and he accepted my offer, so I should be getting it for £30 delivered.

It's likely to sit in a box for a while yet, but I'll post progress when it happens.
Brookline build thread:

Bealman

That's alright, buddy!  :thumbsup:

My modelling output is currently zero, so I'm in no rush!

It's just something that's always interested me, adding a working narrow gauge line to an N gauge layout.  :thumbsup:

stevewalker

Quote from: Bealman on May 14, 2019, 12:05:11 PM
It's just something that's always interested me, adding a working narrow gauge line to an N gauge layout.  :thumbsup:

I currently have all of my N-gauge track laid, except for a fiddle yard (which currently runs straight through) and the turntable and associated engine roads. I have also laid about a third of my Z-gauge track for use as a narrowgauge line - top station to coal drop on right and under main line on right.

My Marklin loco remains resolutely Z-gauge at the moment, until I get hold of a tram loco kit and convert some 4-wheel carriages to bogie narrowgauge ones.

Unfortunately things have slowed somewhat as I have been busy re-wiring, re-plumbing and re-decorating, so haven't got to the layout often - and then usually only for a short while and ended up watching trains go round testing the track.

Newportnobby

I've often seen the layout 'Shasta' at exhibitions in this area and have always been very impressed with it........

Bealman

Steve: That is one very impressive plan, in both gauges! I'm afraid my idea was maybe just a circle of Z gauge on a hillside mine, just going round and round!  :-[

Mick: Is that Z gauge? They sure like their snakey breaky  curves!

emjaybee

Blimey, I'd give me eye teeth for that much space! I've got 5'6" x 3' !

:o
Brookline build thread:

stevewalker

When my mother-in-law died in 2006, we had a lot to store and were paying a fortune to a storage company. It became obvious that buying a shed would be cheaper in the long run. I planned ahead and bought the widest that would fit between the garage and the fence and was a reasonable length. I insulated, lined and wired it for mains and then planned for years, until the shed was gradually emptied enough (we used some stuff and disposed of other items) for the build to begin. I actually started with just the bottom and right boards, completing the loops on the right board. As funds, time and space allowed, I added the top boards, split the loops and rejoined them via the inclines.

maridunian

Quote from: Bealman on May 14, 2019, 10:25:01 AM
Should be ok (said Bealman) fingers crossed!

I've always fancied an N gauge working narrow gauge on my layout, and was just going to run it off existing supplies.

I believe a forum member has done this.

@maridunian ?

Not yet, but have a Peco N-6.5 tank engine kit in the 'One day...' box. Does that count as starting? ;)

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Bealman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations