Thread lengths and topic-wandering

Started by OffshoreAlan, March 30, 2022, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

It is noticeable that the OP has not contributed further to this thread and made only one subsequent contribution to his previous thread on the same topic which contradicted his OP... (perhaps they got too long for him?)  :doh:  ::)

That's another of my pet hates - posters who make contentious opening posts then don't contribute any further to the discussion they started  :veryangry:

Tank

I can agree that certain threads do go off topic, and when you are looking for an answer to that thread/question, it can be annoying if you're looking for a straight forward answer.  However, this is a community, and I think that there is far more benefit overall that we can have a chat and a laugh.  It makes the forum welcoming and inclusive to many who may not get involved in posting if the forum was quite formal and wanting straight answers, with nothing more inbetween.

Echoing what I've said before:  We have a diverse membership, many different characters.  There will be clashes, differences of opinions, hissy fits......but these are rare compared to the hundreds of posts per week, and the good conversations that are had by many.

I'm sorry that I can't please everyone on here, but I do try (and the wonderful Moderators as well!) to keep the forum a pleasant place for as many members as possible.

OffshoreAlan

Apologies for the repetition, I had no recollection of my previous effort (definitely a Senior Moment) until alerted.

Thank you all for your views, and I happily bow to the majority opinions (and yes, @Tank, I admire and appreciate the Mods' efforts, thank you too).

njee20

Just don't forget, Tank, that I'm always available to bring down the quality of the moderators.  :D

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 31, 2022, 10:30:43 AM
Quote from: njee20 on March 31, 2022, 08:12:48 AM
Personally one of my bugbears is someone who asks a question, gets an answer and locks the thread. There can be myriad other answers or experiences to add, I just don't see why you'd do that.

I believe only the Mod team can lock a thread so maybe the OP requested that :hmmm:

It was a general forum etiquette point, happens on Facebook where people can switch off commenting. I have seen it on here though - "I have an answer, can a mod please lock this?". Don't get it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations