Fictitious Locomotives?

Started by Jollybob, February 13, 2016, 11:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jollybob

Hi people, has anyone ever built, repainted or modified a locomotive to make it into fictitious design? I figured that if you can have a model layout that is made up, why not do the same for locomotives and rolling stock.
I suppose that a classic example is the old fatish GP tank, or is that a real locomotive I just never seen before?

Regards

Rob.

PLD

Quote from: Jollybob on February 13, 2016, 11:13:06 AMthe old fatish GP tank, or is that a real locomotive I just never seen before?
It's what you get if you stretch a Jinty to fit the wrong sized chassis you have from the GWR Pannier (that it's not quite right for either!)

Agrippa

Don't see why not, after all some people build layouts on a theme of
"What if a certain rail line had continued to a fictitious town or area".

I've painted rolling stock , usually Peco tank wagons in a particular colour
just because I liked that colour, but that's just me..............

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

GroupC

Didn't Lima do this with everything they made? That "Deltic" for example was clearly fictitious as it bore very little resemblance to the Deltic I remember seeing in 1:1 scale.

Dorsetmike

I've considered trying to do some of the "designed but never got built" like Adams LSWR single, Urie's 4-8-0,  Maunsell's 2-6-2 & Pacific, Bulleids SR 2-8-2, some I've seen drawings of, others would be mere flights of fancy; Urie's 4-8-0 shouldn't be too difficult, stretch a Langley S15 coupled to a BHE N15 tender; but for the Maunsell 2-6-2 do you stretch an N class or shorten an Arthur? For the 4-6-2 stretch a Nelson , nearest to that would probably be a hacked Scot or Jubilee.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

That's started me thinking - dangerous (to the wallet), anybody got a spare V2 complete or just chassis, runner or non runner cosmetically challenged, anything from a motorless (but otherwise good) chassis to complete loco, (cheaper the better).

Wheels on the V2 were 6'2", the Maunsell would have been 6'3" - close enough in N gauge, I'm assuming a family resemblance to the Nelson, I can hack that!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

njee20

I'm sure Mustermark of this parish has done something with a Western and a fictitious backstory. Can't remember if he just renumbered it though or if he did any cosmetic changes.

porkie

Ive got a class50 in intercity swollow livery
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Tank

I've got a list of fictional Network SouthEast liveried loco's and MU's.  My latest that I'm working on is a Class 89 in NSE livery.

Jollybob

Some interesting Ideas.
I'm taking a big leap and decided that I wanted to build a private railway like a hospital railway or colliery or something like that (haven't quite made up my mind yet). Anyway, I wanted something different so I effectively took a Japanese Bandai loco, stuck buffers on it and painted it a different colour.

[smg id=35405 type=preview align=center caption="IMAG0689"]

I do apologize about the poor light in my picture.

Rob.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Jollybob on February 13, 2016, 05:24:03 PM
Some interesting Ideas.
I'm taking a big leap and decided that I wanted to build a private railway like a hospital railway or colliery or something like that (haven't quite made up my mind yet). Anyway, I wanted something different so I effectively took a Japanese Bandai loco, stuck buffers on it and painted it a different colour.
Rob.

Looks similar to a number of UK private locos and also a couple of locos built for the NE railway that survived into the 1960's as BR 26500 and 26501.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Jollybob

:thankyousign:

That was one of the reasons why I got it. The other reason was because the whole thing was really cheap. The locomotive kit and chassis included the postage cost about £30, the buffers from N brass £2.50 and the same again for the pantograph.
Then I can allow the imagination run wild.

Rob.

Mustermark

Quote from: njee20 on February 13, 2016, 01:56:43 PM
I'm sure Mustermark of this parish has done something with a Western and a fictitious backstory. Can't remember if he just renumbered it though or if he did any cosmetic changes.

Not so much in the way of cosmetic change, but it was renumbered and the headcode blanked...

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1545.msg72542#msg72542

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

zwilnik

I did manage to find a photo once of an industrial 0-6-0 that looked remarkably similar to the Farish general purpose tank engine. According to the caption it was being moved temporarily to the Tanfield Railway near Newcastle. I've not been able to find the photo since though.

Generally speaking though, when it comes to industrial locomotives, there's pretty much a prototype for everything :)

zwilnik

Quote from: Jollybob on February 13, 2016, 05:24:03 PM
Some interesting Ideas.

[smg id=35405 type=preview align=center caption="IMAG0689"]

I do apologize about the poor light in my picture.

Rob.

Here's something very similar parked at Tanfield (their scrap line is well worth visiting with a camera ;) )

http://lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7480

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations