Adding photographs to a post

Started by Madann01, December 22, 2018, 07:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

My digital camera (and many more I believe) take pics anything between 2.5MB and almost 4MB.
The easiest way I've found to resize them is to right click on the pic then 'Open with Paint'.
Within Paint look for 'Resize' and click on the pixels part. Mine are usually at 4000 so I reduce that figure to 2500 and then just press 'Enter'.
Go to 'File' then 'Save' and your pic should now be under 2MB.
Hope this helps someone

dannyboy

That is exactly how I get my photographs to comply with the forum restrictions - works every time. (Cos @Newportnobby told me to do it that way a few months ago  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

I use an online optimizer.

But, at the risk of yet again getting up the noses of the very team I am a member of, I shouldn't bloody well have to do that!

Twelve months ago, I could snap a picture on this very same phone, and load it onto the forum a few minutes later from the same phone.

Can't do it now.

Whatever happened is a backward step that needs fixing, ASAP.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Invicta Alec

I've forgotten who told me, but someone on the forum suggested PIXresizer.

Its a freebie download and works very well with Windows 10.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Bealman

We shouldn't have to be doing that. It's a major forum glitch that needs fixing.

exmouthcraig

I managed to upload my picture this morning after a bit of trial and frustration which got my rant last night so apologies for stirring the pot.

Take the photo on my phone
Screenshot and resize
Add photo to My Gallery section rather then the top panel and somehow it worked 🤔

Bealman

It will, but it's the stuffing around.

I've been a forum member for a while now, and I could always upload any picture I took, straight off my phone within seconds of taking it.

And when the change was made from albums to galleries,  heaps of my uploaded photos disappeared from the forum.

Whatever happened was a backward step, and needs fixing.

Posting photos easily is not possible, and it's letting this excellent forum down.

swisstrains

I personally don't find uploading photos to be too much of a problem. What I don't understand is why the thumbnails of my photos that are more than 6 months old no longer bring up the full-size image. ???

Lawrence

I don't think the posts by @Tank and @Railwaygun are particularly helpful in this instance, and rather smack of, I'm alright Jack, screw you at least @Bealman has the decency to come out and say that it's not good enough.
On a personal note, I think they method and limitations on uploading photo and video to the forum is ridiculous, it should be streamlined and simplified.
I fail to believe that, in this day and age, there is not a SMF or third party plugin for the forum that will accept any image posted and auto resize it for forum use. And for two members of (albeit voluntary) staff to wash their hands of the issue frankly, sucks  :veryangry:
So chaps, sort the forum out and make it accessible for all please.

mk1gtstu

I'm using this site to re-size my photos at the moment
https://picresize.com/edit
I have to upload the photo I want onto the site, resize it to 800 resolution, then save & download it onto my laptop. I'm then able to upload it onto my threads here.
All a bit more complicated & time consuming than the old way of just finding the photo on your computer & uploading it.

Cheers, Stu
My Box File Layout (South Wales Valleys Colliery) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10430.0

Porthkerry (A South Wales layout in BR Blue) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39654.0

Abercwm Colliery (South Wales Area) https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47521.0

Tank

Quote from: Lawrence on August 07, 2019, 09:12:26 PM
I don't think the posts by @Tank and @Railwaygun are particularly helpful in this instance, and rather smack of, I'm alright Jack, screw you at least @Bealman has the decency to come out and say that it's not good enough.
On a personal note, I think they method and limitations on uploading photo and video to the forum is ridiculous, it should be streamlined and simplified.
I fail to believe that, in this day and age, there is not a SMF or third party plugin for the forum that will accept any image posted and auto resize it for forum use. And for two members of (albeit voluntary) staff to wash their hands of the issue frankly, sucks  :veryangry:
So chaps, sort the forum out and make it accessible for all please.

I can't believe you said that!  I certainly did not have the attitude of "screw you". :veryangry:  I asked the OP what size photo they were posting awaited an answer.  I have an iPhone and don't own another phone.  What you're saying is ridiculous!

I've spent hundreds of pounds and time on a new gallery, which after uploading, found that it doesn't include an important feature - so can't be used until the author of the software makes changes.  I know more than anyone on here what a headache it is.  There isn't anything available with all of the features that I've paid for, and can handle the huge about of GB that this forum uses, but feel free to go and check for yourself @Lawrence

exmouthcraig

@Tank sorry Tank my post last night was aimed more at Samsung saving photos as a totally different file type to what can be posted not at failings of the forum, I'm not particularly savvy in all computing so my rant was more at my own frustration not knowing how to change it all around to work.

I remember all the hassle you went through upgrading the forum and obviously the cost that was put into it. I don't feel there's anything wrong with the forum (with my basic knowledge) now I've remembered how to add pictures I wont have anything to get wound up by, well at least on the forum.

crewearpley40

Thanks. Just taking my time slowly to work how to use the facility hence why just words from me and not technology minded. We must appreciate the wosk tank has put in

Tank

Quote from: exmouthcraig on August 07, 2019, 10:06:50 PM
@Tank sorry Tank my post last night was aimed more at Samsung saving photos as a totally different file type to what can be posted not at failings of the forum......

No problem at all, I didn't take anything you said as negative and always try to be helpful.  However, I don't like being attacked by people on an open forum for something that they don't know about.  That's the internet for you though.

crewearpley40

Thanks for your hard work tank, chris

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations