Running in locos

Started by 1936ace, August 29, 2015, 11:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm running in a very rough and noisey dapol hymek that came in the milk train set that arrived the other week from hat tons
Now I know garish and dapol say run the locos in for an hour each direction. But is this on a rolling road or is it for an hour on a layout. If it's on a layout what's the suggestion for run time.
If I do an hour each way the poor little loco has travelled just under a 1000 meters as with the combi set at 40 the loco takes 1 minute to do a lap which is 16 meters
The hymek has done heaps of laps already but it still sounds and runs like an egg beater
Thanks in advance
Bart

MJKERR

If you have rolling road, then that's perfect
Otherwise purchase a cheap oval of track, that's what I use

10 minutes at 1/3 speed in one direction
10 minutes at 1/3 speed in opposite direction
10 minutes at 2/3 speed in any direction
10 minutes at 2/3 speed in opposite direction

That's all you need

JasonBz

Thats pretty much what I do too

For some reason I think a circle of track is better for running in, at least initially to test it out - I think it rpelicates the "layout reality" better than a rolling road

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: 1936ace on August 29, 2015, 11:51:35 AM
Hi all

The hymek has done heaps of laps already but it still sounds and runs like an egg beater
Thanks in advance
Bart

Hi Bart - a stupid question, but did you oil it as per instructions? My Hymek that came with the milk tanker set settled down after running only a few feet and now runs perfectly.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

austinbob

Quote from: JasonBz on August 30, 2015, 01:17:51 AM
Thats pretty much what I do too

For some reason I think a circle of track is better for running in, at least initially to test it out - I think it rpelicates the "layout reality" better than a rolling road
Its also nice to see your new toy running on track!!! Don't you think?
:D
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

guest311

Quote from: mjkerr on August 29, 2015, 12:19:24 PM

That's all you need

that's pretty well what I do as well, though I then turn the loco and repeat, so the first section is on a left hand curve, then the second on a right hand curve, if that makes sense.

I'm a present building a 4 x 2 up and over figure 8 running in track to combine the two, and also practice building the landscape.

alan

Chris Morris

I usually run locos as suggested. Some locos are wonderfully smooth out of the box and some are rough. Identical models can be run very differently. The rough ones sometimes get better with running in and sometimes don't - I guess it all depends on the motor. I have not yet had a diesel that is anything but smooth out of the box.
From my own experience and word of mouth from others the GF Ivatt 2-6-0 needs about 12 hours running in each direction to become a smooth runner. I think this is due to the valve gear rather than the motor.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Sprintex

Quote from: class37025 on August 30, 2015, 10:19:15 AM
Quote from: mjkerr on August 29, 2015, 12:19:24 PM

That's all you need

that's pretty well what I do as well, though I then turn the loco and repeat, so the first section is on a left hand curve, then the second on a right hand curve, if that makes sense.

I'm a present building a 4 x 2 up and over figure 8 running in track to combine the two, and also practice building the landscape.

alan

I too think it makes sense that the loco runs in on both left and right curves, so rather than have to turn the loco simply affix pieces of Setrack to some spare plywood in a figure-8 with a short crossing :)

Paul

Rabbitaway

Hi

Have you tried pulling the bogies off and oiling worms and bearings they run in

Did this with my Hymek and it is a lot quieter

Kris

I have found that different locos need different amounts of running in to get good running. Of the 2 Farish n classes that I have one required 3 hours of running in to get acceptable running, the other needed less than an hour.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations