Allotments or Gardens

Started by mojo, January 26, 2019, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukecreations

hi all,
I thought this would be a good place to get some opinions on some gardens that I have scratched built. I am fairly pleased with them but I feel could use some improvement.
I made them to fit behind the terraced houses by Metcalfe.
I have a few ideas of how to make a fence between the two gardens but would appreciate if you have any ideas

thanks,
luke.

dannyboy

If you want solid fences, get one of the standard coffee stirrers, make a few score lines with a knife and paint with a brown wash. Then just cut to length. Another thing I have done is to take a piece of matting, the type that looks like a meadow in flower, cut it to twice the width of a coffee stirrer, glue one half to one side of a coffee stirrer and when dry, fold the matting over and glue to the other side of the coffee stirrer. Because of the nature of the matting I used, I had to weigh it down until the glue dried.

This picture, whilst not showing the fences in detail, gives you an idea -

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/74/4209-100319145858.jpeg
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Papyrus

I'm planning on using allotment gardens from the Timecast range to fill in an odd-shaped space on my layout. I'm not ready to buy them yet but I need to make allowance for them. From the photos on the website it looks as if the bases of the allotments are quite thick. Could somebody who has used them let me know how thick the base is so that I can plan the sub-structure accordingly? Thanks!

Chris

LAandNQFan

The Timecast mouldings are on average 3mm thick.  After getting the first one wrong by levelling plaster that was already set and having to disguise the edges, I set them into my earth mix (WS plaster, enough acrylic colours to match the colour of the allotment earth and water) while the plaster was wet.  With all of them I added highlights to the mouldings before "planting" them.

Tegfan garden from a cruel angle to show the edges - the bushes and tomato plants try to hide the edge of the moulding from the normal viewing angle.

Wstrws garden - set into plaster then static grassed.

Henllan railway terrace gardens - six of the mouldings and others made up from grass and scraps.

Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Papyrus

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

3mm doesn't sound a lot - the website photos make them look a lot thicker - so it shouldn't be too difficult to fettle.

Those pictures are excellent, especially the row of back gardens.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations