Connecting Controller to Layout – Advice Needed

Started by REGP, June 14, 2015, 08:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

How do you connect your DC &  DCC controllers to your layout?

I am trying to get away from pluggable terminal blocks to something a bit more robust/professional, I alternate between DC and DCC with a Dynamis or a Sprog.

I was thinking about using 8 Pin mini DIN plugs and sockets, I have a CD Controller cable that's surplus to requirements ,  so I could cut of plug at one end to connect to controller and only need to solder a couple of wires to the pins in a socket.  What I don't know is
1   Will any DIN lead be able to carry the required current?
2   Is there a standard colour coding for each PIN?

Or maybe there's a simpler way. :confused2: :confused2:

Ray

Luke Piewalker

Mini DINs seem to be rated for 1 amp. Should be ok for DC at that but DCC might be a bit much.
I use 4mm banana plugs and sockets on my DC layout.
Speakon connectors would probably be the ultimate in sturdiness with easy attachment/detachment and are good for 30A.
XLR's are good for 15A, and also have an easy quick release mechanism.
If you need more than two wires running through the system you can get multipole speakons.

REGP

Quote from: newportnobby on June 14, 2015, 09:54:30 PM
Quote from: Luke Piewalker on June 14, 2015, 09:38:48 PM
you can get multipole speakons.

That just reminds me of Stanley Unwin ;D
Spot on NPN, I haven't the faintest idea what speakons or XLRs are, could some kind soul point me at an example. Cant seem to find them at the likes of DCC Supplies.

Ray

scotsoft

If you Google Speakon connectors you will find your answer  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Yet_Another

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

REGP

Thanks Guys

Had now found them via Google as suggested, I assume you have to solder cable in place  and thats not one of my strong points. Will have to get a sample and see how we go.

Ray

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations