Problem with Word 2007

Started by geoffc, April 14, 2019, 11:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffc

I am trying to create a book for my own use in Word 2007, it is basically a record of all the airliners recycled a local airfield on an A4 page per aircraft. The title of each page is the registration in Arial 36 then I drag and drop a photo from my album under that. Under the photo I have a potted history of the aircraft in arial 18. It looks fine on the screen, but it is when I print it I get the problem. At the moment I have printed several test pages on a black and white laser printer, when printed the registration appears three times in the photo twice in grey and once in black. I have tried several ways to insert the photo but to no avail, searches on the internet don't turn up any answers. Can anybody help please?

Geoff

keithfre

You may need to create a frame first to drop the photo into.

geoffc

Quote from: keithfre on April 14, 2019, 12:05:11 PM
You may need to create a frame first to drop the photo into.

Thanks, how do I do that, my IT knowledge is limited?

Geoff

keithfre

Go to the place in the document where you want the image. On the main menu click Frame, then drag the frame to the size you require.

geoffc

Keith
I am using Word 2007 when I open it I have seven tabs to choose from:
Home
insert
page layout
References
Mailing
Review
View.

Which if any is the main menu?

If I click on the photo, a picture Tools tab pops up shaded pink, then a format tab shaded pink pops up and I have a choice of borders in the picture styles box. Selecting this does not cure the problem.  No where can I find anything relating to Frame.

Geoff

keithfre

I mainly use Word 2000. I see that in Word 2010 that you're right, there's no frame. Sorry! I can only suggest you google insert picture Word 2007.

chrism

One thing you could try - insert a table on the page, one full-width column and three rows of appropriate height for your header, photo and text. The enter the text in the top & bottom cells and the photo in the middle one.

Don't know if that will work, it's been a very long time since I used W2007.

Izzy

I use Word 2007 on a win7 laptop but I usually place the cursor where I want images and then go through the 'insert' menu rather than drag& drop. However I have just tried doing it both ways on an A4 sheet and the print preview looked fine with both.

Do you use print preview either via word or the printer software? Might be worth trying if you can to see if you can work out where the problem arises. Mis-matched paper sizes would just leave stuff off, but I am just wondering if it's the laser printers software that could be the issue somehow.

Izzy

geoffc

Hi Izzy
I ran a print off on my Epson XP442 colour injet and it was fine, a copy on the Samsung ML 1210 still had the registration embedded in the photo as well as at the top of the page.  I had tried insert and drag and drop with print review via word. So it seems that the laser printer is the problem in this case. I thought modern technology was supposed to make like easier!!

Thanks

Geoff

PLD

Encountered something similar a long time ago in an earlier version of word (either 2000 or 2003).

Eventually worked out is was nothing to do with the image, but the watermark settings for the page.

On screen the PC interpreted the image as being on top of the watermark, some printers interpreted differently and put the watermark on top.

keithfre

One solution I've found to the problem of differences between printout and screen is to Save As pdf and then print the pdf.

If the program doesn't have a Save As pdf option you can install CutePDF (free), which shows up as a 'printer'. Instead of Save As, Print, selecting CutePDF in the printer dialogue. Then you can print the pdf from CutePDF.

mickster04

Not directly related to your question, but you are using software that is now 12 years old.
I recommend for improved chance of support you use something current. If you don't want to pay, use something like openoffice, or libre office if you're using windows. It is maintained and you should be able to get help much more easily for a product that is actually supported. Aside from usability improvements that will have been implemented over the years

CarriageShed

Geoff, I'm a Word professional via my work. If you'd care to send me your document I should be able to correct any problems and potentially set it up so that the problems don't reappear. No charge, of course. PM me if that sounds okay.

Peter

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations