Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Malc

I know how you are suffering, Mike. As a diabetic, I was suffering with a UTI about every 3 months. Eventually I got referred to a urologist who did all sorts of tests, including taking a look inside my bladder (not a pleasant experience). He recommended a prophylactic dose of antibiotics, which I have taken on a night for the last 5 years. Now I find out the antibiotics can cause some lung condition or other, so I have to discontinue them after Xmas. Hopefully my diabetes is better controlled now and the infections won't reoccur. Fingers crossed.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

dannyboy

My fingers are crossed for you Malc.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Thanks Malc. I wouldn't wish a single UTI on anybody, let alone one every three months!

I loved the comments made at the hospital when I had mine fitted: "You might experience some discomfort", and "You'll soon find things settle down". All lies in my case, but I saw my GP yesterday and he reckons all is progressing as it should. I now have appointments in two weeks time for a blood test and another consultation with the Doc. My prostate is still not ruled out as problematic but I won't let that thought bother me too much over Christmas and New Year.

Sorry to hear your drug regime has to be stopped Malc. Will an alternative be offered, or will you be on what a previous GP of mine called "a watchful wait"?

So many drugs have possible side effects, most listed in the small print in the packs, but it's impossible to know which ones, if any, will effect you in either the short or long term. I have a history of adverse and atypical reactions to most drugs I've had administered over the years, and finding the one that works and keeps me stable is often a long drawn out affair.
Here's wishing you continued freedom from the long plastic tube!
:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Malc

When they say a "slight discomfort" they really mean "excruciating pain ".
The GP hopes, as do I, that because my control of the diabetes is much better, there will be less sugar in my urine, so less of a growing medium for bugs. I must remember to drink at least 2 litres of water a day, which is difficult. Give me 2 litres of beer, I can finish that in an hour or so, but water...
If I do keep getting bouts of infection, they will try me on the only other antibiotic left. There is a super antibiotic, but they can't prescribe that long term in case the bugs get resistant.
So I am waiting until the New Year before I risk stopping the drug.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Trainfish

Quote from: Malc on December 19, 2019, 09:48:33 PM
When they say a "slight discomfort" they really mean "excruciating pain ".
The GP hopes, as do I, that because my control of the diabetes is much better, there will be less sugar in my urine, so less of a growing medium for bugs. I must remember to drink at least 2 litres of water a day, which is difficult. Give me 2 litres of beer, I can finish that in an hour or so, but water...
If I do keep getting bouts of infection, they will try me on the only other antibiotic left. There is a super antibiotic, but they can't prescribe that long term in case the bugs get resistant.
So I am waiting until the New Year before I risk stopping the drug.

If you drink 2 litres of 4% beer then surely you have drunk 96% water haven't you? I'd do that  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

NinOz

Quote from: Malc on December 18, 2019, 04:42:47 PM
Hopefully my diabetes is better controlled now and the infections won't reoccur.
My daughter is on a keto diet and has had very good success on sugar control resulting in reducing medication from several to one type.  However she is not very fat tolerant so has to reduce the fat content of the diet.  She recommended a read of Diabetes Solution by Richard K. Bernstein.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

After a crappy year on antibiotics and hobbling around on crutches, you all have my sympathies. Take it easy over Christmas, but most of all, enjoy yourselves anyway!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Maybe this should be in the Happy thread, but yesterday morning I spent four and a half hours on the Urology Department in Boston Hospital doing crosswords, drinking water, and generally getting bored after the lovely nurse Emma yanked my catheter out and we waited patiently for the sound of Niagara to echo through the disinfected hallways.

Well, Niagara it wasn't, but the tinkling stream is now flowing once more and the drought is over! :thumbsup:

I have to retrain the offending muscles to regain full retention but all in all it looks like the drugs and catheter did their (painful) job.

Fingers crossed for a grand New Year, which I also wish for all.

Happy Christmas! :beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

crewearpley40

Who dislikes christmas shopping ? Just been to local model shop.  Closed. Then supermarkets ..same oldmusic, queue jumping woman, trolley loads 2 to a person,no politeness, then some arrogant woman, on a phone swearing her head off about her ex
Not good.glad im sitting waiting for the bus.

guest311

join the

BAH-HUMBuG brigade  >:D

been a fully paid up member for years ...

Trainfish

I think I'm allergic to supermarkets. The wife won't let me go with her anyway. I think it's something to do with previous experiences of moving unattended trolleys to different aisles, adding certain items to trolleys (sausages in an obviously vegetarians trolley), bumping into a squaddie who was in full camouflage in the fruit & veg aisle and then apologising because I didn't see him, etc etc. I haven't appealed against the ban though.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

crewearpley40

Thats why i had my walkman in service and annoyed with the woman who swearing down a phone. Walked her trolley clipping the heels of an old lady and catching my thigh. When i said excuse me what sid i receive ?a nasty verbal bombardment. Society

guest311

I just don't understand the panic from some people, after all ..

they have fridges
they have freezers
the supermarkets will be open boxing day, so it's only one day they are closed

but they act as though the four minute warning has sounded.

pre-plan ?

manners ?

nahhhh

exmouthcraig

I'll be at my Sainsbury's at 6.30am Christmas Eve, it will take me 25mins on Scan and Pack I'll be out the door with a full load of traditional Christmas dinner which I cook Christmas day while Mrs EC is 'sorting her horses' code for dragging my heels pretending I have loads to do.

Suits me, I hate her in the kitchen while I'm cooking trying to interfere. As long as I have the radio, a slab of ice cold beer and a few snacks left over from Christmas eve to scoff I'm happy.

steve836

I do my supermarket shop on line! It's easier and as our nearest Tesco is 8 miles away cheaper too.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations