RIP Norman 'Bites yer legs' Hunter

Started by Lawrence, April 17, 2020, 03:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007
I well remember this fantastic footballer from what little English football we got on the TV back in the day and what a Leeds  team they were then.

port perran

A very, very sad loss.
He's remembered for his Leeds days but also played for my team, Bristol City, in the old (proper) First Division in the late 70s.
A hard man but what a gifted left foot.
I remember two instances in particular :
1. Scoring against Leeds at Ashton Gate from about 35yards out when his boot also came off and flew through the air.
2. Being sent off for a cynical challenge (I've forgotten who it was against). Norman didn't wait for the referee but just walked off. When interviewed afterwards he said something to the effect of , "I don't mind the ball going past  me and I don't mind the man going past me. But.......not both at the same time".
A marvellous Honest, old fashioned player .
A sad loss to the game.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

A very sad loss, the cause of death making it seem so much sadder.

Yes indeed, one of the greats, even if I didn't really give a damn that day in 1973 when we won the FA Cup!

RIP Norman Hunter.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

I have a Norman Hunter anecdote from my school days.

We had a religious studies trip to York Minster, followed by a visit to a convent or monastery near Leeds. Probably a monastery since at some point a football was produced and a shirts/skins game kicked off on the lawn. The pitch was bounded by the monastery and trees on the side-lines and trees behind one goal - two rolled up jumpers. The other goal - yep, two more jumpers - had a sheer drop behind it, with somebody's back garden at the bottom. Eventually the obvious happened and the ball went sailing over the horizon down in to the garden. I was elected to go and retrieve it.

Back then I was absolutely mad about cycling, road racing. I wasn't interested enough in football to say I supported any particular team. My elder brother was an ardent MUFC supporter. I liked watching Leeds - they were definitely the most thrilling team to watch - and I liked to goad my brother when Leeds would beat MU.

So when I rang the bell to get the monks' ball back and the door opened, I had no problem recognising World Cup winner Norman Hunter standing before me! He was kind enough to sign the ball for me, which I then had to immediately hide on the coach to save it from my BWFC supporting classmates. I then had to return to the monastery with some tale about the homeowner refusing to give the ball back. I think the monks sussed the truth but didn't let on. :angel:

RIP Norman Hunter

exmouthcraig

@RailGooner cracking story Mark, the most important question though.........

HAVE YOU STILL GOT THE BALL????

RailGooner

Sadly not Craig. :( Packed away in the loft when I left for the RAF, then forgotten when my parents moved house. Probably turn up on ARS one Sunday. :'( Still got the happy "boy meets God" childhood memory though.

Bealman

He lived under a monastery? Good to hear!

Trainfish

Gutted to hear this today. My father was from Leeds and was an avid Leeds fan. This of course rubbed off on me in my younger days when we lived abroad from 1969 until 1976. These were probably Leeds' most succesful years with a couple of 1st division titles and an FA Cup win. My biggest memory was a sad one though, the 1975 European Cup final. We lived in Münster in Germany at the time which made it even more painful with it being Bayern Munich who cheated their way to a win. After sneakily listening to all the games leading up to the final using one of those old uncomfortable earpieces plugged into my tiny radio whilst in my bedroom, I was allowed to watch the final. Leeds dominated the game, had what most people consider to be a definite penalty not given (and another not so certain appeal not given) and Peter Lorimer's goal being disallowed after the Germans moaned about it, it had originally been given and both the ref and linesman had gone back towards the centre circle. It was 0-0 while all of this went on. Bayern then had 2 breakaway goals to win the cup. Leeds fans rioted and got I think a 4 year ban from Europe originally, reduced to 2 on appeal. I didn't riot, I was only 10 at the time, but I did cry, as did my dad. Norman Hunter was a huge part of that Leeds United era as were Stewart, Bremner, Gray x2, Reaney, Lorimer, Madeley, Giles, Yorath, Jordan, Cherry, Harvey, McKenzie, Sprake and a few more including Don Revie and Jimmy Armfield towards the end of that era.
I'm sure I still have my silk scarf from that year, remember those? I'm sorting out some cupboards this weekend and will keep an eye out for it. If I find it I will be displaying it as a mark of respect to Norman Bites Yer Legs Hunter. RIP Norm, you were a Leeds legend and memories of you and those mentioned above will live a long time with Leeds fans  :'(

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Didn't win the FA Cup in 73, though, did they.  ;)

Just a gentle stir and no offence meant. And certainly not trying to belittle the purpose of this thread.

He was a great player, and a definite presence of those days which seem like yesterday to me.  :thumbsup:

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations